Premier Salons Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Luborsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Salon Manager"

I have been working at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

excellent products to work with

Cons

its a slow paced salon environment

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The field employees were great. Benefits were "ok". I was not micro-managed. Given freedom to operate the business without needing approval for everything

Cons

The company owner is crazy. Bills are not paid and stores were going out of business with no warning or we would find out the night before and be expected to go in at night and pack up the entire store.

3. "Hairstylist"

Former Employee - Hairstylist/Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Hairstylist/Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Premier Salons (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provided many training opportunities and had a wide range of even the newest products. Your growth was directly connected to the work you're willing to put in.

Cons

Some locations had access to better equipment or faster repairs. You have to aggressively pursue anything you need or are trying to implement.

"Be Wary"

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment and and laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Disorganized, not well thought out business model, filed bankruptcy 2 times while I was employed with the company.

Advice to Management

Make sure you can can continue to afford operations before acquiring new companies.

"Just don't do it!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Premier Salons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. More space for your resume, I guess? You'll most likely end up using the host store on your resume, not 'Premier Salons' or one of their many failed and inconsistent branding efforts

Cons

This company is seriously broken and almost ruined my reputation in my industry. They don't pay their bills and most locations are falling apart and they cannot afford to fix yet they expect revenue.. Shady, dirty and delusional.

Advice to Management

RUN

"WORST JOB EVER!"

Former Employee - Stylist in Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Stylist in Westland, MI

Pros

The prices are high enough to make a few dollars

Cons

there are no walk-ins, no assistance from management/corporate with advertising, this company doesn't value its employees, prejudice actions toward employees, just a very depressing place to be. no motivation at all, i couldnt deal with it anymore. no quality continued education/training, old products being used, customers not happy with the outcome of their hair color because its OLD!!! then the company will blame you and deduct the costs from YOU... the company is more concerned about how much you can sale, not the quality of service and building clientele.

Advice to Management

it takes money to make money, help your stylists, listen to their needs and wants, you will when, get some business training so you wont have to file bankruptcy for the 4th, 5th, or 6th time.

"disorganized"

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

travel product shows training enetrtainment

Cons

hours salary mis management communication high turnover

"Manager"

Pros

The salons run like small businesses. Im not sure if that's actually because upper management has no clue or if it's intentional.

I'm very lucky in that the staff I work with are amazing.

Cons

We aren't in the loop about anything.

I get that they can't warn a salon that they are closing because the staff will all quit, but the company is closing stores all the time so there is very little job security.

Really hard to get product. Strict retail goals with nothing to sell.
    Staff often purchase their own supplies since sometimes we don't get them, color, foil, wax strips, etc.l
    Staff is very underpaid, so they're often apathetic and I don't blame them.

I feel like the salon is a sinking ship that I'm trying to bail out with a teaspoon.

Advice to Management

Update salons. stock them. pay the staff.
    Update computer system. Update website.
    Maybe just start over.

"Great Stylists, Bad Management."

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Premier Salons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired right out of beauty school despite not having any sort of following and being very uncertain in my skills. In every salon I worked in, all of the stylists were very encouraging, supportive, and I received great additional training at their hands. They were always encouraging me to watch them work, willing to answer any questions I had, and were happy to watch me work when they knew I was uncertain about something to reassure me I was doing well.

Cons

During the time I worked for Premier, they started switching over to a digital appointment system. As someone who is fairly computer literate, I found the PoS program they set us up with to be the furthest thing from user friendly; the manual they provided us with for the program was also for a completely different version and therefore was unusable; whenever issues came up that we couldn't figure out, we were told to call "IT." "IT" was someone at corporate reading off of the same manual we were provided with.

When I first started working for the company, I was employed at one of their Sears locations. We were originally open every day and I was working full-time; after a couple of months, they started cutting back not only the salon hours, but the stylists hours. I started in July and this continued until December at which point the salon was only open three or four days a week and I was down to working 10 hours. A week before Christmas, we were informed that the salon would be closing after the holidays unless we could pick up business.

The company also wanted to start doing facials again while I was still working for them, but, while they did provide us with all of the product we needed as well as set up training classes with the product company (which were fantastic), they wouldn't put in the money to give us the equipment or tools we needed to effectively use the product or provide the service. They expected us to use the equipment that had been sitting in storage since the LAST time they offered facials -- which was apparently over twenty years ago.

In the end I ended up getting fired because I wasn't bringing in enough money. Which is fair, I spent most of my work time as a glorified receptionist near the end. But at the same time, at the end I was spreading 14-17 work hours between two different salons over an hour away from each other and with very different clientele. Not to mention the fact that most of the salons are so hidden in their respective department stores that no one knows they exist -- even the one in Saks 5th Ave in NYC is hidden in the basement, only accessible by elevator with no indication anywhere else in the store that there's a salon -- so the possibility for walk-ins is almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Advertise! Stop assuming that the way to fix the problem of too few clients is to significantly reduce the number of hours that the salon is open for.

Shell out the money for quality software that can actually be used and hire people who can actually troubleshoot.

"Clueless"

I worked at Premier Salons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wish I could say something nice, met some nice people...some great technicians who did great technical work

Cons

Terrible pay, No support from corporate, facilities falling apart and no one cares