Preqin Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark O'Hare

"3 stars and falling"

I worked at Preqin full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, opportunity to meet and work with top professionals across a variety of alternative investment firms and investment banks globally. The brand is very strong, and there are some good people here. Excellent benefits (401k, health/vision/dental), support for self study, lots of options to travel if interested in that. Casual, beer, and summer fridays in NYC office and I believe SF also.

Cons

This would have been 4 or 5 stars easily before 2016. I never thought I'd write a review, but now that I am gone I feel it is necessary, if anything to let new sales people or prospects understand this wasn't always a bizarre team. In 2016 our new Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) implemented an entirely new sales structure/compensation scheme. Morale abruptly dropped across the company, notably the most on the sales team. You never saw any turnover, and now everyone has left or is running for the hills. I have never seen anything happen so fast, where a company where people really cared, and were loyal and happy to come into work turned into a miserable place to be. On top of cutting pay and making unnecessary and irrelevant team targets, the new CRO does not seem to understand our products, business, different clients. The lack of understanding or attempting to listen to others is appalling and immature, and set a horrible example across the global sales team. We weren't able to replace all the people we have lost because of the new awful Glassdoor reviews, the awful pay, and team structure. Beginning of the year sales management patted themselves on the back for growing revenues despite lack of actual new clients brought on (prices were increased substantially in 2016, you did nothing actually!) This goes to show how out of touch this individual is, glad I got out when I did!

Advice to Management

Look at turnover numbers the last few years. What is the one event where things took a turn for the worst? Hint: its a hiring. I heard 3 team leaders have left since I have, within weeks of each other. This is not a coincidence!

Absolutely the worst timing for these changes to happen, as other competitors have now taken advantage of the complete disaster occurring internally. Sales "management" does not care about anyone, want to learn, or really seem to want sales to do well or be motivated, so the people still here (if not already checked out) are acting by his example. There are so many issues it is almost laughable at this point, as nearly everyone feels completely marginalized by this person. I know this will fall on deaf ears, but warning those looking into sales here that you can probably find something else that isn't a complete mess.

2. "Preqin"

Pros

Flexible hours, young environment

Cons

Some of the work gets tedious at times

"Scary Outlook"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Previn offers a great work life balance. The firm is made up of all young professionals. Plenty of vacation time.

Cons

The new sales structure which was implemented in 2016 is horrible. Targets are set extremely high and all of the good accounts are already taken leaving a very small window for opportunity. Instead of sales, the new CRO has turned the firm into a call center where he values the amount of CRM communications rather than actual revenue. Salaries and commission payout is well below market value leaving a negative moral throughout the entire office. Should you have any questions during your day to day activity whether it be an issue with an account or IT, it will take weeks for you to receive an answer or solution. There are several new invoice systems and sales op teams that have been in place for a year now and they have yet to figure out how to make any process smooth / efficient. Lastly, Preqin operates on a team commission structure - if someone on your team is not producing, it can drastically reduce your overall pay regardless if your having an amazing month. No recognition for top performers!!!!

Advice to Management

Collaborate more efficiently with your employees.
    Preqin is the leading data provider tracking the alternative asset space but if something is not done about the new CRO, the business is going to go down the tubes FAST

"Decent name, poor management"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Preqin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beers in the office Fridays, snacks in the kitchen, summer fridays, good work/life balance. Industry recognition. Decent salary (at least during my time there, new CRO seems to have changed that a bit)

Cons

The place is literally a frat. If you're not from greek life, you most likely will go insane with the amount of bros and brahs being tossed around.

Managers are a year or two older than their employees and seem to have been thrust into that position, which leads to them trying to be buddy buddy with you but at the same time laying into you unprofessionally whenever something bad happens.

There's little to no room to increase sales as it's a saturated industry, more like musical chairs depending on when people's existing contracts expire.

Office design, layout, and feel resembles that of a mortuary.

Advice to Management

Shake this place up! I know you're selling to hedge funds, PE, etc but make it more fun to work at and start hiring some diverse talent!

"Sales"

I have been working at Preqin full-time

Pros

Great company culture, lots of personal and professional growth opportunities here. The company is young and fun. Positive culture.

Cons

Sales is a numbers game, it is very simply calling and emailing to book demos. Lack of communication from different offices, poor compensation, and inexperienced managers.

Advice to Management

More transparency into decisions made behind closed doors - let your employees know what is driving the company and where it's going. Increase people pay.

7. "Awesome Place to Start and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As soon as I started I was mentored by a senior member of my team and was trained on my asset class. You’re always learning something new and will have to ask lots of questions to get the material down. But once you do, you shouldn't have a problem with all the tasks that are assigned to you. Career progression has slowed down since top level managerial positions have already been taken; but that happens for every growing company and Senior analyst and managing analyst positions are always available for those who merit promotions. Overall, a good place to start your career, great benefits (vacation days), fun environment and helpful colleagues.

Cons

Needs more people who are outgoing (on the phone). Many of the roles require people to be personable/persuasive when speaking with industry professionals but many people don't show much enthusiasm. This stems from doing the same routine everyday. This is starting to change with new projects being implemented but this is still a data company and the goal is to update and improve the database.

Advice to Management

The research team is the backbone of the company. Continue to invest into them and consider them as equals to the Sales team.

"Good for out of school"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Preqin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Preqin has a reputable name among top PE firms and Hedge Funds. You will have an opportunity to learn about alternative assets. Work/life balance is great. Everyone is friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

The work can become mundane quick. You would need to come into it with a proactive approach. People who get bored should ask their manager for more challenges/opportunities. Pay is on the low end, but manageable.

Advice to Management

You have smart and talented individuals in research that want to be challenged more. It is understandable that the work coincides with the business model, but diversifying tasks can cause lower turnover and happier employees.

"Beware"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product. Was in sales full-time for several years before leaving recently and the product can honestly sell itself.

Cons

Was in sales full-time for several years before leaving recently. What used to be a fun culture with lots of sales growth turned into a cold-calling center with a lack of management, and a cut pay-structure. They recently brought in a new Chief of Revenue.. aka he is paying employees less so that they can get more money into their own "revenue".

Advice to Management

"If its not broken, dont fix it"... The lack of management is appalling for such a prominent industry name.

"Sales"

I have been working at Preqin full-time

Pros

Great sales opportunity, bonus, and commissions.

Cons

the pay could be better

Advice to Management

Continue making changes within the company

11. "Sales"

Pros

Fun and relaxed atmosphere within the company
    Everyone does their own work and are willing to help if you need help
    Great benefits

Cons

Difficulty communicating with colleagues in other offices in different countries

Advice to Management

A little more team building and training to be better equipped to discuss with clients