Preqin Reviews | Glassdoor

Preqin Reviews

Updated Oct 11, 2019

3.4
Preqin CEO Mark O'Hare (no image)
Mark O'Hare
Pros
Cons
  • "It pretty much looks like a call centre and you'd be hardpressed to find anything worse than this place(in 5 reviews)

• "High turnover in the tech team means that the project keeps changing hands(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Staff, great opportunites, good environment

Cons

Workplace is due for an upgrade

Preqin2019-07-22
  2. "Good entry level position out of college."

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Work/Life Balance Friendly Co-Workers Good Environment

Cons

Not much room for advancement The role not as fulfilling

Advice to Management

Work more closely with employees to improve career opportunities.

Preqin2019-05-08
  3. "Best Company I have every worked for"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing office environment. This is the most fun I have ever had. My coworkers are very hard working and fun to spend my day with. Management does not micromanage. Bay is great for the sales teams. Free snacks and food everyday. Benefits are paid for by the company and they match up too 10% for your 401k.

Cons

Office could use an update. That’s about it

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Preqin2019-03-31
  4. "Great career move!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Preqin is an innovative, growing company that offers a great culture and work-life balance. It's exciting to work at an industry leader and be a part of the firm's growth story. The management team is very supportive of developing the team's careers and hearing their input into the strategy. I left a firm that I enjoyed -- but I am glad I came to Preqin!

Cons

The firm is based in London. In New York, we have all the perks of headquarters, but that adds a layer of communication challenges that aren't unique to Preqin.

Preqin2018-10-03
  5. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Preqin full-time

Pros

Everyone on the sales floor is friendly and willing to help

Cons

top sales performers are not rewarded properly

Preqin2018-08-21

"Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Preqin full-time

Pros

Knowledge of the alternative assets industry

Cons

Incentives, bonus, and base salary could be better.

Preqin2017-11-18

"Sales"

I have been working at Preqin full-time

Pros

Over the past two years, there have been a ton of changes to our company. As with any reorg, there are going to be disgruntled people leaving bad glassdoor reviews. As such, I let the glassdoor reviews get to my head while deciding whether to interview. All I can say is, come in and decide for yourself. I'm so glad I did. Management is very accessible and supportive-- They will work with you to make sure you're... happy. As with any sales job, it is numbers-driven, i.e. calls, demos, meetings, quotas. The sales culture can be cutthroat, sink/swim, but more supportive than most given the team-based mentality. Pros: 401k match Growth- quickly and exponentially growing company, get in at the right time International exposure Work hard, play hard Young company Relaxed office dress Team-based commission Beer Fridays Solid healthcare plan Keep travel points Work life balance

Cons

Cons: Little training (especially if you don't come from fintech/finance) Infrastructure problems- CRM, internet Tech budget - perks like new laptops, standing desks don't exist

Advice to Management

The new NYC office is very much on par with other tech offices, but makes the older part of the office feel old, which is less inspiring to those of us working back there. It would be nice to renovate the back so that it feels equally inspiring (i.e. open spaces, glass conference rooms, new desks and chairs).

Preqin2017-09-18

"3 stars and falling"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Preqin full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, opportunity to meet and work with top professionals across a variety of alternative investment firms and investment banks globally. The brand is very strong, and there are some good people here. Excellent benefits (401k, health/vision/dental), support for self study, lots of options to travel if interested in that. Casual, beer, and summer fridays in NYC office and I believe SF also.

Cons

This would have been 4 or 5 stars easily before 2016. I never thought I'd write a review, but now that I am gone I feel it is necessary, if anything to let new sales people or prospects understand this wasn't always a bizarre team. In 2016 our new Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) implemented an entirely new sales structure/compensation scheme. Morale abruptly dropped across the company, notably the most on the sales team.... You never saw any turnover, and now everyone has left or is running for the hills. I have never seen anything happen so fast, where a company where people really cared, and were loyal and happy to come into work turned into a miserable place to be. On top of cutting pay and making unnecessary and irrelevant team targets, the new CRO does not seem to understand our products, business, different clients. The lack of understanding or attempting to listen to others is appalling and immature, and set a horrible example across the global sales team. We weren't able to replace all the people we have lost because of the new awful Glassdoor reviews, the awful pay, and team structure. Beginning of the year sales management patted themselves on the back for growing revenues despite lack of actual new clients brought on (prices were increased substantially in 2016, you did nothing actually!) This goes to show how out of touch this individual is, glad I got out when I did!

Advice to Management

Look at turnover numbers the last few years. What is the one event where things took a turn for the worst? Hint: its a hiring. I heard 3 team leaders have left since I have, within weeks of each other. This is not a coincidence! Absolutely the worst timing for these changes to happen, as other competitors have now taken advantage of the complete disaster occurring internally. Sales "management" does not care... about anyone, want to learn, or really seem to want sales to do well or be motivated, so the people still here (if not already checked out) are acting by his example. There are so many issues it is almost laughable at this point, as nearly everyone feels completely marginalized by this person. I know this will fall on deaf ears, but warning those looking into sales here that you can probably find something else that isn't a complete mess.

Preqin2017-02-01
  9. "Preqin"

I have been working at Preqin

Pros

Flexible hours, young environment

Cons

Some of the work gets tedious at times

Preqin2017-01-18

"Scary Outlook"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Previn offers a great work life balance. The firm is made up of all young professionals. Plenty of vacation time.

Cons

The new sales structure which was implemented in 2016 is horrible. Targets are set extremely high and all of the good accounts are already taken leaving a very small window for opportunity. Instead of sales, the new CRO has turned the firm into a call center where he values the amount of CRM communications rather than actual revenue. Salaries and commission payout is well below market value leaving a negative moral... throughout the entire office. Should you have any questions during your day to day activity whether it be an issue with an account or IT, it will take weeks for you to receive an answer or solution. There are several new invoice systems and sales op teams that have been in place for a year now and they have yet to figure out how to make any process smooth / efficient. Lastly, Preqin operates on a team commission structure - if someone on your team is not producing, it can drastically reduce your overall pay regardless if your having an amazing month. No recognition for top performers!!!!

Advice to Management

Collaborate more efficiently with your employees. Preqin is the leading data provider tracking the alternative asset space but if something is not done about the new CRO, the business is going to go down the tubes FAST

Preqin2017-01-28