PresenceLearning Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
PresenceLearning CEO Clay Whitehead
Clay Whitehead

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "set own schedule, work from home, good pay" (in 27 reviews)

• "Co-workers are hard-working and collaborative and there's a clear respect for work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is going through a ton of growing pains" (in 9 reviews)

• "No benefits as it's a contract position only" (in 9 reviews)

1. "The Future is bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, great office in FiDi, opportunities for growth for those with vision

Cons

Ambitious growth plans and overspending in past years have caught up with the company. Recent layoffs have impacted morale but rightsizing of the company will create a strong financial picture for the future.

Advice to Management

Recent changes were painful but necessary. Keep the focus on the mission of delivering life-changing care to children and the rest will follow.

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Set your own hours. Set your own schedule.
    -This used to be a wonderful company that was all about emotional intelligence, relationships, being positive, and keeping employees and clients.
    -Huge network of clinicians in which to refer new clients if you get too full, or need to cut your hours. Also, if you want to increase your hours there is a huge network of incoming kids from providers who are too full. This job has flexibility that other teletherapy companies do not have.
    -Reschedule kids or take time off when you need and no one bothers you. If you have excessive paperwork one month, no one bothers you about it. No one monitors your daily or weekly billing. Just do the job.
    -Co founders are wonderful people who believe in special services and schools. Many of them had IEPs themselves. I still like and respect them all despite what is happening to this company now.

Cons

-Lowest pay in the industry
    -Massive turn over rate. Everyone used to know each other but it isn't about relationships and quality anymore.
    -No longer about quality, this company seeks to be the "McDonald's" or "Walmart" of the telepractice industry. They want to be the cheapest, to undercut everyone, without realizing they are only chopping their own legs and arms off, and that competitors can also reduce price and undercut them until the whole industry is destroyed!
    -HUGE pay cuts issued as a unilateral corporate decision without respect or regard to clinicians or the national shortage of clinicians. Pay cuts done WITH NO REGARD TO the current industry standards.
    -Sinking ship. First, they used to cover the home state license and the state you work in. First they quit covering the home state license. Then they quit
     covering mileage. Eventually, they quit covering your annual certification cost. After that, they reduced the bonuses for background checks, TB clearance, and fingerprinting. Now the background/TB costs are only partially reimbursed. You eat the rest of the expenses.
    -No benefits. No 401K. No health insurance. Not even an employee incentive program.
    -Hourly pay only. In the summer, you have no paycheck. In December and January, you lose up to three, even four weeks of pay due to winter breaks. Also lose holidays, Spring breaks, etc.
    -Now it is only about bottom line, output, high turnover, being the lowest cost in industry, and net profit. I believe it is not too late for them to turn it all around, once again. They were wonderful once before, and can still be that way again.

Advice to Management

-Turn over costs you much more than giving a raise , bonus or promotion to existing employees, even if the new hires are way cheaper than existing employees. In the bigger picture, all the cheaper new hires are costing you more.

--"The one time that pricing can be a corporate strategy is when the company is positioned as the low-price leader. That's Walmart. If you adopt low price as your strategy, then your business must be continually focused on lowering and controlling costs--like Walmart. You are attracting the price buyers, customers who are not loyal, but are looking for the lowest price. Once a competitor figures out how to sell a similar product for less, they will charge lower prices and you will struggle. If another company figures out how to sell products for less than Walmart, Walmart will be in trouble. Knowing this, Walmart maintains a laser-sharp focus on keeping costs down. If you make low price your strategy, you have to be like Walmart, continuously lowering your costs so your competitors don't catch up."

"Someone can always be cheaper
    When dealing with the price of a good or service, new companies need to understand that there can always be a cheaper option. Regardless of how cheap they go, their more established competitors can choose to price their good or service lower than the new company. The competitors have established brands, usually more cash on hand, and are often willing to lose a little money in the short term to price out the competition.
    Don’t get into a pricing war with your competitors. Instead, offer something better than them."

Really? I can make 50 dollars an hour as a local housekeeper. Why should I stay when pay was cut drastically? We are talking a 30 percent pay cut? We have Ph.D.s and Master's Degrees in a national shortage field. If you send us all back to our local school districts and hospitals, no one needs teletherapy to begin with.

"Going Downhill Fast"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

Love working from home. My provider support manager is excellent. There has been ample work. Not too many tech difficulties. I like the system for taking data.

Cons

Unfortunately, Presence Learning decided to significantly lower the pay rates of all employees, without warning. They included the new rates, which is a $13 an hour decrease for indirect services in the contract, to be effective two days after the contract was sent. This is POOR business practice. It sends a loud message that the leaders of this company do not have respect for the SLPS, who are needed for this company to survive and thrive. I am deeply disappointed, and I am now researching other companies to work for. Never expected this to happen!

Advice to Management

Your decision to significantly decrease the pay rate for all SLPs, was poor and disrespectful. To make this life changing alteration without warning or forthcoming explanation, aside from a brief reasoning in FAQs, is unacceptable and demeaning. I have a feeling that you will lose many SLPs over this, and it will compromise your business. Huge lack of integrity here. I thought I was working for a company that cared more about service than greed. This whole situation is shameful and disappointing.

"Downhill Slide"

Current Employee - SLP in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SLP in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best companies in any industry a few years ago. Attentive to contractor needs and opinions.

Cons

Recently cut pay for indirect time drastically. Indirect time includes communicating with parents and school staffs, reviewing and writing IEPs, documenting and planning, etc. The reasons given were non-specific and trite. Administration has taken money from hard working clinicians and placed it in their pockets. Steve Blake, Clay Whitehead, et al: your motives are clear. Our President would be proud of you.

Advice to Management

Pay clinicians what they are worth. Indirect time is the foundation of good direct service.

"Speech Therapy"

Former Employee - Speech Therapist in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Speech Therapist in Remote, OR

I worked at PresenceLearning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, students, Learning Platform,

Cons

Fail to give you important information and some have supervisors under supervisor and so on... miscommunications
    Students are great

Advice to Management

Better communication

"Going downhill quickly"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO if you are an exempt employee, if you work in office there are a lot of snacks and lunches brought in.

Cons

Where to begin - layoffs after layoffs, no direction, feels like we are always starting new programs and abandoning after short time. There is no upward mobility (especially if you are remote), no focus, not a lot of communication, no recognition, and a general feeling of why bother when no one cares/

Advice to Management

Stick with what you know, go back to how things were 5 years ago in terms of teamwork and communication. We have a great mission and money has sidetracked our vision. Be transparent and open with your employees. Quite a few of us have been here for years and kill ourselves every day, and never know where we stand or get any feedback or appreciation.

7. "Leader in Industry"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

New opportunity every day

Cons

Going through growing pains at this time

Advice to Management

Keep working hard

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - SSR - Support Services Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - SSR - Support Services Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively simple work with great benefits and good compensation

Cons

Not a lot of career paths to move forward from the support services department

Advice to Management

Establish a path into more technical fields from tech support

"Company First, Patient/Therapist Second"

I worked at PresenceLearning part-time

Pros

Can work from home. Schedule your own hours with clients.

Cons

The orientation process is at least two days of unpaid time. Salary was determined before I was even scheduled for an interview. They do not care what your experience is, their rate is flat and it is a low rate. I received an invoice that they send the schools by accident, and I also looked on the internet for information on what their contract is with the schools. They take a little less then 50% of what the schools pay for your session. They discourage you from billing regarding emails and prep time. The online library they promote is a total joke. There is nothing usable in there and it is a mess to look through. The kids and families are fine, but some families are pushed into using this because it is their only option, not that they want it. Most students do not have external cameras. Even when I spent time ordering them new equipment, the parents often cannot get it to work or something is always broken. Besides tech support, anyone from PL staff is completely non-responsive the second you sign the contract. I received major attitude from PL staff in the corporate office, and my first week was literally told "I'm sorry you expect excellence from us." If you do not put your foot down with them, they will walk all over you, which I experienced myself and heard from other practitioners as well. At one point, I was given a new school. The lead was so lazy and just forwarded me about 40 emails in 20 minutes of old outdated information from about 5 months prior, and expected me to clean up a virtual disaster of a mess and not get paid for it. They also say they have documents with school policies, calendar, and contact information per school. This is false. They have online excel sheets but the information is wrong. Majority of meetings I had, I had no idea who I was even talking to in the meetings or if I needed to email someone, had a hard time tracking down their full name or email address. PL staff often emailed me asking who was who from what school, so that they could update their documentation. If I said I had no idea, they asked me to find out (sometimes for kids I did not even work with)... again you do not get paid for any of this. If PL has contracts with these sites, why don't they reach out to their contacts at the school and get a staff list, calendar, policy and procedure list and upload it into their database. Basics that any of us practitioners would do if we were working in person. Laziness and lack of organization from PL side. The one time I called the school to ask a simple question about their schedule (no one even picked up or called me back), I told my lead and was scolded by her that I am never allowed to call the school site. Disaster of a company. I do not recommend. You basically will be working for free and cleaning up messes.

Advice to Management

CEO is greedy. This is a business/money making machine first. They are not therapist or student centered.

"there is no hope"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros. The company won't make it another year.

Cons

The office is empty, the finance department has a lot of turnover, most of the employees have been laid off or quit, the salesmen get whatever they want and everyone else has to make do with less.

Advice to Management

All should go. The SLT has run the company into the ground. They are worthless.