PresenceLearning Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
PresenceLearning CEO Clay Whitehead
Clay Whitehead

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Managers specifically "protect you" from distractions and obstacles, you can work from home 1 day or so as needed" (in 25 reviews)

• "Co-workers are hard-working and collaborative and there's a clear respect for work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is going through a ton of growing pains" (in 9 reviews)

• "No benefits, unreliable hours, awful pay" (in 7 reviews)

1. "The Future is bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, great office in FiDi, opportunities for growth for those with vision

Cons

Ambitious growth plans and overspending in past years have caught up with the company. Recent layoffs have impacted morale but rightsizing of the company will create a strong financial picture for the future.

Advice to Management

Recent changes were painful but necessary. Keep the focus on the mission of delivering life-changing care to children and the rest will follow.

"Speech Therapy"

Former Employee - Speech Therapist in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Speech Therapist in Remote, OR

I worked at PresenceLearning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, students, Learning Platform,

Cons

Fail to give you important information and some have supervisors under supervisor and so on... miscommunications
    Students are great

Advice to Management

Better communication

"Going Downhill Fast"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

Love working from home. My provider support manager is excellent. There has been ample work. Not too many tech difficulties. I like the system for taking data.

Cons

Unfortunately, Presence Learning decided to significantly lower the pay rates of all employees, without warning. They included the new rates, which is a $13 an hour decrease for indirect services in the contract, to be effective two days after the contract was sent. This is POOR business practice. It sends a loud message that the leaders of this company do not have respect for the SLPS, who are needed for this company to survive and thrive. I am deeply disappointed, and I am now researching other companies to work for. Never expected this to happen!

Advice to Management

Your decision to significantly decrease the pay rate for all SLPs, was poor and disrespectful. To make this life changing alteration without warning or forthcoming explanation, aside from a brief reasoning in FAQs, is unacceptable and demeaning. I have a feeling that you will lose many SLPs over this, and it will compromise your business. Huge lack of integrity here. I thought I was working for a company that cared more about service than greed. This whole situation is shameful and disappointing.

"Going downhill quickly"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO if you are an exempt employee, if you work in office there are a lot of snacks and lunches brought in.

Cons

Where to begin - layoffs after layoffs, no direction, feels like we are always starting new programs and abandoning after short time. There is no upward mobility (especially if you are remote), no focus, not a lot of communication, no recognition, and a general feeling of why bother when no one cares/

Advice to Management

Stick with what you know, go back to how things were 5 years ago in terms of teamwork and communication. We have a great mission and money has sidetracked our vision. Be transparent and open with your employees. Quite a few of us have been here for years and kill ourselves every day, and never know where we stand or get any feedback or appreciation.

5. "Leader in Industry"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

New opportunity every day

Cons

Going through growing pains at this time

Advice to Management

Keep working hard

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - SSR - Support Services Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - SSR - Support Services Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively simple work with great benefits and good compensation

Cons

Not a lot of career paths to move forward from the support services department

Advice to Management

Establish a path into more technical fields from tech support

"Company First, Patient/Therapist Second"

I worked at PresenceLearning part-time

Pros

Can work from home. Schedule your own hours with clients.

Cons

The orientation process is at least two days of unpaid time. Salary was determined before I was even scheduled for an interview. They do not care what your experience is, their rate is flat and it is a low rate. I received an invoice that they send the schools by accident, and I also looked on the internet for information on what their contract is with the schools. They take a little less then 50% of what the schools pay for your session. They discourage you from billing regarding emails and prep time. The online library they promote is a total joke. There is nothing usable in there and it is a mess to look through. The kids and families are fine, but some families are pushed into using this because it is their only option, not that they want it. Most students do not have external cameras. Even when I spent time ordering them new equipment, the parents often cannot get it to work or something is always broken. Besides tech support, anyone from PL staff is completely non-responsive the second you sign the contract. I received major attitude from PL staff in the corporate office, and my first week was literally told "I'm sorry you expect excellence from us." If you do not put your foot down with them, they will walk all over you, which I experienced myself and heard from other practitioners as well. At one point, I was given a new school. The lead was so lazy and just forwarded me about 40 emails in 20 minutes of old outdated information from about 5 months prior, and expected me to clean up a virtual disaster of a mess and not get paid for it. They also say they have documents with school policies, calendar, and contact information per school. This is false. They have online excel sheets but the information is wrong. Majority of meetings I had, I had no idea who I was even talking to in the meetings or if I needed to email someone, had a hard time tracking down their full name or email address. PL staff often emailed me asking who was who from what school, so that they could update their documentation. If I said I had no idea, they asked me to find out (sometimes for kids I did not even work with)... again you do not get paid for any of this. If PL has contracts with these sites, why don't they reach out to their contacts at the school and get a staff list, calendar, policy and procedure list and upload it into their database. Basics that any of us practitioners would do if we were working in person. Laziness and lack of organization from PL side. The one time I called the school to ask a simple question about their schedule (no one even picked up or called me back), I told my lead and was scolded by her that I am never allowed to call the school site. Disaster of a company. I do not recommend. You basically will be working for free and cleaning up messes.

Advice to Management

CEO is greedy. This is a business/money making machine first. They are not therapist or student centered.

"there is no hope"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros. The company won't make it another year.

Cons

The office is empty, the finance department has a lot of turnover, most of the employees have been laid off or quit, the salesmen get whatever they want and everyone else has to make do with less.

Advice to Management

All should go. The SLT has run the company into the ground. They are worthless.

"Management has no idea what it’s doing"

Pros

There are no pros anymore. This place is a joke. We overcharge our customers and put that money in the pocket of executives. This used to be an inspiring place to work. Such a shame everything has been flushed down the toilet.

Cons

Management should be fired for their inability to lead. Half the company is gone in the last 6 months. The company has done nothing to try to retain employees.

Advice to Management

Replace yourself.

"Extreme loss of morale"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, stocked snack bar, most employees are very very nice.
    The mission of the company is one that is easy to get behind

Cons

Layoffs have created extremely low morale and uncertainty. Morale is much lower than it ever has been. Nearly all decisions being made are for the "bottom line" now and it feels like I walk around with a big sign over my head saying how much would be saved if I was laid off.

Current CEO (Clay) has an inflated ego and is extremely temperamental and doesn't seem to care about doing the right thing sometimes.

Most people don't want to make decisions or own anything new because they don't want to be blamed for it.

There's a pattern of executives/managers being quickly removed from the company, most of them females. It feels dirty or wrong and is a big reason I wouldn't want to become a manager or have more responsibility here.

Most employees are looking for other work and just doing the bare minimum.

The Engineering Department seems to be the "golden child" that can do no wrong, with employees in that department taking extremely long vacations, working from home more than other departments and in general just receiving special treatment. In comparison HR, Sales, Marketing and Finance have had to suffer all the layoffs, are allowed much less vacation time and work from home hours.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Clay and replace him with someone who has experience running a company. He's a founder but not a good fit to lead or inspire. I'd say get him executive professional training, but you can't teach a grown man integrity, honesty, and authenticity.

Better define your roles and decision-making process. Things will only continue to get more confusing and cause more issues as we grow.