PresenceLearning Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
PresenceLearning Interim CEO Mia Hegazy
Mia Hegazy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "set own schedule, work from home, good pay" (in 29 reviews)

• "Co-workers are hard-working and collaborative and there's a clear respect for work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is going through a ton of growing pains" (in 11 reviews)

• "No benefits as it's a contract position only" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Still Growing"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Revenue growth continues over prior year in spite of changes with leadership and organization.

Cons

Challenges this school year with supply of clinicians. Lots of turnover but much of it is necessary.

Advice to Management

Keep solving problems and communicate to the organization. Consistency is key at this point.

"Focused on Financial Margins Over Student Impact"

I worked at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

Strong compensation plan, but they do not have enough supply for sales reps to hit their goals.

Cons

They are focused on financial margins over student impact. Not willing to address the churn of clinicians and staff.

The executive team cannot be trusted and the company’s future looks bleak. They do not understand their core business; think of themselves as a tech company as opposed to being a staffing company that provides therapy services online.

Advice to Management

The executive team cannot he trusted.

"Simply a Mess"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not many "pros" working here but there are quite a few amateurs.
    The underlying mission of helping children is admirable.

Cons

Right now there are two camps. Camp 1 mistakenly believes that the venture capitalists who sat idly by while the Founders and several rounds of unqualified Executives wasted their money and never devised a coherent business strategy somehow, suddenly, have the acumen and wherewithal to turn the business around. Camp 2 knows better. Problem is it's too hard to tell who is in which camp given how many politically savvy career opportunists have agreed to just smile and hand out fruit flavored powdered drink (can't afford Kool-Aid) to help boost morale.

HR appears to only come back from vacation to lay people off or process resignations.

Advice to Management

This is not a flip home. You can't just slap a fresh coat of paint on this, install some new kitchen counter tops and hope no one really inspects it. It needs a new foundation (investors and leaders with no connection - zero, none, zilch - to the past). Demolish it and sell the lot(s) to a developer who can repurpose the land.

"why are they hiding?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks
    Office location is good

Cons

The CTO shut down a recent all hands meeting because he didn't want to answer difficult questions
    Layoffs
    Turnover
    Salespeople have quit
    3rd controller in 2 years recently quit

Advice to Management

The company's future looks bleak. Stop hiding and be transparent with us. We have worked hard and deserve to know what is going on.

"Great mission, great people, leadership missteps"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- It's easy to get behind the company's mission of providing students life-changing access to licensed therapists.
    - It's still a startup, so there is the opportunity to make a difference in the company's processes or direction.
    - I think it's a great product and a great service.
    - The people I worked with were smart, hardworking, and kind.
    - Good office location in the Financial District of San Francisco.
    - Snacks and drinks provided.

Cons

Disclaimer: The culture may have shifted since I left the company. There has been a lot of change since then.

- The culture shifted from fun and free-spirited to very restrained and politically correct. HR set the tone for the office.
    - The company went from nimble and startup-y to sluggish and bureaucratic. It became difficult to make important process improvements. After a couple rounds of layoffs, however, the company has become leaner.
    - There was a lot of fear and uncertainty around layoffs from late 2017-early 2018. Hopefully there won't be much more of that.
    - Historically, there was mostly lip-service paid to professional development and career advancement. However, I believe there have been initiatives to change that.
    - For several years, the Sales team was badly mismanaged. There was an incredible amount of turnover among Sales leadership. There was a strong and consistent bias toward the demands and opinions of salespeople — to the point of disregarding other departments and creating dysfunctional processes.
    - The company grabbed at some new markets without proper research, leading to lots of wasted effort and money. They have seemingly learned from those mistakes and have doubled down on the most profitable service: online speech therapy.

Advice to Management

- Focus on speech therapy in schools.
    - Listen to departments that automate processes and structure data — specifically business operations and marketing operations.
    - Keep Sales and Marketing in sync.
    - Try to bring back a little bit of fun and edginess to the office culture. For a while, it felt like the only ones having fun were senior leadership and HR.

"SLP"

I worked at PresenceLearning part-time

Pros

The tech support was helpful and I really liked the online data collection.

Cons

There were way too many “players”. Micromanaging. Too many people ie, “Leads, SCC’s etc” that got laid a lot more money and I felt that I was managing my caseload / the schools without their assistance. The pay was low and there’s were no benefits (ie health insurance, retirement, etc.).

Advice to Management

Offer full time employment. Offer benefits and retirement. Restructure. Give your SLPs the responsibilities and roles that they deserve and are trained to handle.

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at PresenceLearning full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Set your own hours. Set your own schedule.
    -This used to be a wonderful company that was all about emotional intelligence, relationships, being positive, and keeping employees and clients.
    -Huge network of clinicians in which to refer new clients if you get too full, or need to cut your hours. Also, if you want to increase your hours there is a huge network of incoming kids from providers who are too full. This job has flexibility that other teletherapy companies do not have.
    -Reschedule kids or take time off when you need and no one bothers you. If you have excessive paperwork one month, no one bothers you about it. No one monitors your daily or weekly billing. Just do the job.
    -Co founders are wonderful people who believe in special services and schools. Many of them had IEPs themselves. I still like and respect them all despite what is happening to this company now.

Cons

-Lowest pay in the industry
    -Massive turn over rate. Everyone used to know each other but it isn't about relationships and quality anymore.
    -No longer about quality, this company seeks to be the "McDonald's" or "Walmart" of the telepractice industry. They want to be the cheapest, to undercut everyone, without realizing they are only chopping their own legs and arms off, and that competitors can also reduce price and undercut them until the whole industry is destroyed!
    -HUGE pay cuts issued as a unilateral corporate decision without respect or regard to clinicians or the national shortage of clinicians. Pay cuts done WITH NO REGARD TO the current industry standards.
    -Sinking ship. First, they used to cover the home state license and the state you work in. First they quit covering the home state license. Then they quit
     covering mileage. Eventually, they quit covering your annual certification cost. After that, they reduced the bonuses for background checks, TB clearance, and fingerprinting. Now the background/TB costs are only partially reimbursed. You eat the rest of the expenses.
    -No benefits. No 401K. No health insurance. Not even an employee incentive program.
    -Hourly pay only. In the summer, you have no paycheck. In December and January, you lose up to three, even four weeks of pay due to winter breaks. Also lose holidays, Spring breaks, etc.
    -Now it is only about bottom line, output, high turnover, being the lowest cost in industry, and net profit. I believe it is not too late for them to turn it all around, once again. They were wonderful once before, and can still be that way again.

Advice to Management

-Turn over costs you much more than giving a raise , bonus or promotion to existing employees, even if the new hires are way cheaper than existing employees. In the bigger picture, all the cheaper new hires are costing you more.

--"The one time that pricing can be a corporate strategy is when the company is positioned as the low-price leader. That's Walmart. If you adopt low price as your strategy, then your business must be continually focused on lowering and controlling costs--like Walmart. You are attracting the price buyers, customers who are not loyal, but are looking for the lowest price. Once a competitor figures out how to sell a similar product for less, they will charge lower prices and you will struggle. If another company figures out how to sell products for less than Walmart, Walmart will be in trouble. Knowing this, Walmart maintains a laser-sharp focus on keeping costs down. If you make low price your strategy, you have to be like Walmart, continuously lowering your costs so your competitors don't catch up."

"Someone can always be cheaper
    When dealing with the price of a good or service, new companies need to understand that there can always be a cheaper option. Regardless of how cheap they go, their more established competitors can choose to price their good or service lower than the new company. The competitors have established brands, usually more cash on hand, and are often willing to lose a little money in the short term to price out the competition.
    Don’t get into a pricing war with your competitors. Instead, offer something better than them."

Really? I can make 50 dollars an hour as a local housekeeper. Why should I stay when pay was cut drastically? We are talking a 30 percent pay cut? We have Ph.D.s and Master's Degrees in a national shortage field. If you send us all back to our local school districts and hospitals, no one needs teletherapy to begin with.

"Going Downhill Fast"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

Love working from home. My provider support manager is excellent. There has been ample work. Not too many tech difficulties. I like the system for taking data.

Cons

Unfortunately, Presence Learning decided to significantly lower the pay rates of all employees, without warning. They included the new rates, which is a $13 an hour decrease for indirect services in the contract, to be effective two days after the contract was sent. This is POOR business practice. It sends a loud message that the leaders of this company do not have respect for the SLPS, who are needed for this company to survive and thrive. I am deeply disappointed, and I am now researching other companies to work for. Never expected this to happen!

Advice to Management

Your decision to significantly decrease the pay rate for all SLPs, was poor and disrespectful. To make this life changing alteration without warning or forthcoming explanation, aside from a brief reasoning in FAQs, is unacceptable and demeaning. I have a feeling that you will lose many SLPs over this, and it will compromise your business. Huge lack of integrity here. I thought I was working for a company that cared more about service than greed. This whole situation is shameful and disappointing.

"Downhill Slide"

Current Employee - SLP in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SLP in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best companies in any industry a few years ago. Attentive to contractor needs and opinions.

Cons

Recently cut pay for indirect time drastically. Indirect time includes communicating with parents and school staffs, reviewing and writing IEPs, documenting and planning, etc. The reasons given were non-specific and trite. Administration has taken money from hard working clinicians and placed it in their pockets. Steve Blake, Clay Whitehead, et al: your motives are clear. Our President would be proud of you.

Advice to Management

Pay clinicians what they are worth. Indirect time is the foundation of good direct service.

"Speech Therapy"

Former Employee - Speech Therapist in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Speech Therapist in Remote, OR

I worked at PresenceLearning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, students, Learning Platform,

Cons

Fail to give you important information and some have supervisors under supervisor and so on... miscommunications
    Students are great

Advice to Management

Better communication