PresenceLearning Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PresenceLearning Co-CEOs & Co-Founders Clay Whitehead & Jack Lynch
Clay Whitehead & Jack Lynch

Pros
  • Managers specifically "protect you" from distractions and obstacles, you can work from home 1 day or so as needed (in 18 reviews)

• For this being a start up, there is great work/life balance here (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some growing pains and leadership changes as the company has reached a tipping point (in 6 reviews)

• Good news/bad news is that the company is growing at an impressive rate (in 3 reviews)

"School Psychologist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Staff and compensation. Not to mention great support from every department.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time

2. "Pushing the boulder uphill"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Coordinator in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Field Marketing Coordinator in Asheville, NC

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Once PL gets the boulder to the top of the hill, the future of this platform and its possible applications and implications is endless. Telepractice is truly the future, and I love working for a company that is paving the way.

Cons

It is hard work pushing the boulder up the hill. Although people (school administrators) are more knowledgeable about the fact that telepractice is "A Thing", many of them are still dubious and resistant.

Advice to Management

Corporate structure re-organizations continue, which makes staff worried about stability.

"Mission Driven, Excellent Team, Great Culture"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You will be hard pressed to find a stronger mission than building educational tools for kids that qualify for special ed
    - People (across the company) join for mission related reasons and are therefore more intrinsically motivated than your average tech company
    - Company has continued to hire great people
    - Flexible PTO policy (encouraged and enforced!)
    - Healthy growth rate in revenue, users, and team size in the last couple years
    - Values work life balance

Cons

Company is going through a ton of growing pains. Part of this phase includes a good amount of shuffling of senior management as well as priorities. Certain amount of turbulence is to be expected at any startup that is trying to make it to the next level, sometimes the level of changes makes the team dizzy

Advice to Management

While it is good that we are bringing in experienced leadership from larger companies to help us get to the next stage, be careful not to dilute the culture!

"Strength in Numbers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PresenceLearning is a wonderful place for both personal and professional growth. The opportunities to wear multiple hats is expected as is with any start-up to improve your variety of skills. The dedication of improving access to quality speech, OT and behavioral health services is obvious and at the forefront of the mission. Flexibility is granted for many in full-time positions with an open vacation policy. You will never work with a better team cross departmentally.

Cons

Leadership is struggling to identify the core of its operation, often juggling their morals and ego. Middle management (non-director level) truly drives the organization with little to no recognition (commendations or financial incentive). Many perks are being taken away and the turnover for clinician recruitment and employee retention of longtimers is taking a larger hit.

Advice to Management

Sacrifice a little of your ego to better the organization. CoCEOs need to function better as a 50/50 split.

6. "Mission-Driven Company with Great Team and Lots of Upside"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great combination of mission-driven company helping kids with special needs and fast-growing venture-backed startup. Really smart, committed and capable team.

Cons

Financial District location far from Caltrain. Not really a con but, since business is growing fast, you have to keep up with new systems and processes.

7. "A proud PresenceLearning employee"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the commitment we all share to the students that we take care of. Our mission, vision and values imbue the every aspect of the important work we do. It is a pleasure to work with such a smart and caring bunch!

Cons

No cons as far as I am concerned.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Small but growing dev team that is building the future of the product and engineering practices that will define this company for years to come
    * Able to influence the direction of the systems and processes in a collegial atmosphere
    * Able to directly impact the success of the organization and the success of therapists who use our software to deliver much needed services to students
    * Great small company atmosphere that respects and promotes a mature yet fun collaborative engineering culture. Every day, we look to improve on what we did the day before

Cons

* sometimes I have to stay at the office late because I want a seat on the Bart :)
    * occasionally, I grimace slightly reading git log... git blame... me!?
    * yeah, our devops-erators are just too cool. I had to get a new haircut to compete.

Advice to Management

Awesome stuff here. Coming from ecommerce and advertising, I love the mission and potential. Refining our processes and growing our team is hard work, but everyday, with every student session, I feel it's all worth it.

9. "Mission driven, awesome, autonomous product team"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Product team is incredible - great people who trust each other. You're trusted (and expected) to get your work done, have it be high quality, but how you do it is up to you. Managers specifically "protect you" from distractions and obstacles, you can work from home 1 day or so as needed. Really great.
    - Company is very mission driven and upper management solicits feedback and listens. They really put people first.
    - Company is doing really well - great future here

Cons

- Growing pains of any startup - scaling challenges, some bureaucracy creeping in, a bit more financial focused at the moment so I want to make sure we keep the culture I joined for.

Advice to Management

Prioritize culture, even as we're growing fast and company growth and success may be the top priority. Keeping and hiring top talent is out best long term strategy, and that means keeping a flatter, autonomous, flexible, intrinsically motivated team and environment. Be very cautious about introducing too many (any?) rules and processes; let it be ground up.

10. "Great product, important mission, ambitious product team"

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my experience, the people at PL care. The product experience is beautiful, the team that builds it is an experienced group of diverse technical staff, collaborating and pushing to do the right thing given a particular context. The broader company culture is warm, sincere, and eager to deliver positive outcomes in the communities of practitioners and kids we serve.

I think the company's values (courageous integrity, positive human impact, empathy, think big act small, collaboration) are the best. Sometimes company values feel irrelevant or meaningless to company culture and seem like they are more for shareholders or executives than anyone else. At PL these principles underscore most of the garden variety interactions that happen all the time.

I feel lucky, as a tech worker, to get to work on this important product, in a culture that is effusively human centered and focused on helping humans be their best selves. I love my job, team, and what we all do.

Cons

Whoever doesn't know how to put compost in the compost bin in the kitchen: sometimes you bum me out :(

Advice to Management

Shine on

11. "Implementation Specialist"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for purpose-driven work, this is the place to find it! Co-workers here are intelligent, kind, focused and creative. There's a great deal of wit and work culture couldn't be better. Our product team created (and now supports) one of the most innovative and bug-free platforms I've ever had the pleasure to introduce to clients. IT support is highly accessible to clients as well as employees; most issues are rapidly resolved and communication with the entire company is thorough.

Cons

Training in sales concepts and upselling is being introduced to the role now that we've transitioned to the company's revenue branch. If you're looking to start as an IS and then move up the ladder, I would recommend you also have a strong interest in sales.

Advice to Management

Managers and upper-level staff are compassionate, supportive and highly encourage their employees to "bend their ears" about anything. Larger -scale and companywide meetings are engaging and fun spirited.