Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

Press Ganey Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Pros
  • Good Vacation/PTO, work from home (in 16 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much turn over from senior leadership (in 7 reviews)

• The management team that has been in place has turned over numerous times in 5 years but company is still profitable spit themselves (in 6 reviews)

1. "Intersting"

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Press Ganey as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, very friendly people from the receptionist to the c- level executives.

Cons

Too many competing it priorities, too many competing egos.

Advice to Management

Don't switch contract firms because a brand new VP wants to hire his buddies.
    Make sure the VPs are actually doing their jobs and holding their managers to actual deadlines.

"Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

The company has been growing year after year since I was hired in 2003. Wonderful employees. PG carefully screens candidates for hire to ensure the fit the culture and fast pace of the company.

Cons

Worked very long weeks. I traveled quite a bit which required expensive preparation for each client visited. Press Ganey is constantly changing and it was a challenge to keep up with new products and new processes. Demanding of its employees - heavy workload to the point I felt overwhelmed much of the time.

3. "Growing pains"

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities, good people who care about co-workers, flexibility, good benefits, great long-term outlook

Cons

understaffed, slow to respond to workforce needs, struggle with product releases, change in culture and managing principles since going public

Advice to Management

It is understood that you want to increase revenue without an equal increase in staffing. This is healthy growth, but there has to be balance and right now we are out of balance.

"Stepping Stone to Better Jobs Elsewhere"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my department there are some opportunities to learn about various programming languages and software. We have work laptops that we can take home. Centrally located in South Bend.

Cons

The biggest problem in my experience is a lack of any kind of training. Managers receive no management training. Employees receive no training on how to use the custom software we deal with. Most of my department are self-taught programmers, which leads to various issues and problems. As a new hire, I was expected to learn everything on my own--which set me up for failure. It's like Tetris. If you don't have the basic building blocks--you have lots of holes in your knowledge. I was then criticized heavily for that by my co-workers.

Senior leadership doesn't actually know what our department does. Our department is custom for our clients' needs. We put out hundreds of custom reports every month. Yet we are treated like throw-aways.

There's not a lot of room for advancement within the company. So its a good work experience for people who are right out of college but the company presents no reason to stay here. They invest very little in their employees and every suggestion for training is a constant fight.

There is a lot of talk about Press Ganey being a "family" but--like most companies that say such things--its not actually practiced. If you keep your mouth shut, ignore the bad things that happen and blame others when things go wrong--then you'll be fine. But beware if you stand up for yourself--it will make you some enemies. That whole 'family' idea goes right out the window if you don't fit the mold.

Programmers are paid less than others in their field.

There is no effort to educate departments on what other departments actually do, so there are constant misunderstandings and miscommunications when departments have to collaborate.

Indicated they would replace vending machines with a healthy choices café. That did not happen. They switched vendors to folks who were more expensive and actually sold three times more junk food and pop than the vending machines did. Almost no healthy choices at all and the few that are there are three times more expensive than they should be.

Used to have a yoga/fitness class during lunch that anyone could attend. That has fallen off the wayside.

Advice to Management

More transparency : If you have a problem with an employee, you need to talk with them about it.

Treat your employees equally.

Leadership DOES matter. Its the difference between being a handler/babysitter and being a leader. When you're in a management position, you can't always be liked. A good leader is firm, fair and consistent.

Press Ganey Response

Mar 22, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you recognize the opportunities for gaining additional skills and are provided the tools to work flexibly at Press Ganey. Press Ganey is committed to ... More

"A mixed, messy bag."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A corner on their market.
    - Flexible hours,
    - Yearly Employee Bonuses.
    - Great HR support for employees.
    - Great Benefits
    - Employees care about each other.
    - Plenty of work to do.
    - Meaningful work.

Cons

- Aging data infrastructure.
    - Incredibly siloed departments.
    - Arbitrary management choices & deadlines
    - Corporate dog and pony show meetings that repeatedly rebrand existing initiatives.
    - Work is frequently thrown away
    - Work is frequently trapped in bureaucratic limbo, being both funded and not funded.
    - Employees don't have enough training, leading to crazy-quilt solutions that are not evaluated for the level of risk they present.
    - "Your desk is frequently on fire", (frequent choatic show-stopper emergencies that prevent the real work from getting done.)
    - Leadership very disconnected from employees.
    - Employee reviews follow a strange, abstract template that has very little meaning to all involved.

Advice to Management

You guys have your challenges like any other company, so I wish you well.. The Cons above are seen in various departments (not just one job type). There is so much potential for this company if the right choices are made. Hopefully this feedback will help you.

My own advice:

- Get realistic about your business processes.
    - Assimilate your disparate teams and their processes.
    - Set your process management people up for success, stop under-staffing them.
    - Listen to your employees, not just management. They are constantly telling you that the work needs to be correctly.
    - Invest in Quality Control. (outside of the survey distribution part of the business). This means pay more attention to long term.
    - Actually follow the Agile methodology the company promotes.
           - Don't set dates up in advance, get realistic estimates first.

- Invest in training for your employees.

7. "QA Inter"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Press Ganey as an intern

Pros

Fun people to work with.

Cons

No company direction. Not honest.

Advice to Management

Be honest with company direction.

"Project Manager"

Pros

Fair compensation and benefits, strong attempt to integrate employees into culture, attempt to make large company feel personal and connected,big group meetings.

Cons

Communication with technology issues limited, issues with understanding the quality of database

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, listen to innovation, ideas

"Scanning Clerk level Ii"

Former Employee - Scanning Clerk in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Scanning Clerk in South Bend, IN

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, overtime available, competitive wages

Cons

High turn over of management and owners, downsizing for profits

Advice to Management

Respect long term employees

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Press Ganey is a good company to work for, they are flexible, understanding, 9-5 and no holidays, and have a very good reputation in the market.

Cons

The Cons I have are not about the company but about my specific role in the company. As an Account Manager the workload is so high that it makes the stress of the job sometimes overwhelming. There is a lot of turn around (most from internal promotions which is good), but it makes it hard on the AM's left behind to keep up. Since I started my workload has only grown and grown with no relief in sight. I have to work many nights and weekends. Vacations are more stressful because I know I'll be coming back to even more work. Quite frankly the pay is not enough for all of the work an Account Manager is responsible for. Account managers carry the bulk of the work load as far as dealing with clients and make the least of all the account team members. I started this position because my family moved to the area, previously I worked at a hospital and made a lot more without so many responsibilities and this much stress. The processes are very manual and learning all you need to to perform tasks is sometimes very difficult.

Advice to Management

I really think management needs to understand the value of account managers, we are losing a lot of people because of the amount of work related to the job and should be compensated for it. We were told a long time ago that "they" were researching the pay scale and would be increasing it based on the market but still haven't heard anything about that. I don't feel I should have to work from home nights and weekends just to keep up with my work load and not be making as much as other parts of the account team, or at least more than what we are making now.

"Lacked Integrity, Middle Managers and Below were awesome, though."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very open culture of sharing best practices, teamwork, and fail/succeed together. No one was ever afraid to ask another team member for help and internal training was excellent.

Flexibility in working from home, big budget for making things happen. Well managed at the middle and high-middle levels.

Cons

Senior leadership cut most good efforts off at the knees; did not protect relationship with clients when making business decisions; failed at integrating new companies and products as they were acquired. When the new CEO came on, a mass exodus of employees occurred because the company changed so much for the worse.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership should be willing to spend the dollars it takes to integrate new teams successfully and deliver on the promises they make to customers.

Press Ganey Response

May 19, 2015 – Director of Internal Communications

Thanks for taking time to share your feedback. I agree that one of our organization's strengths is our culture of collaboration and education, and we need to ensure we embrace acquired companies and ... More