Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • slightly lower starting salary than I would have preferred but worth it for the work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

"Just okay"

Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here make this job. Your peers want you to succeed. Flexibility is nice, but it doesn't compensate for pay or actual support on the job.

Cons

This is not a chicken or the egg situation - this company was started on selling survey services, setting them up, and then providing quality data. The company has exploded since clients have to participate in CAHPS and has completely lost sight of supporting it's people and it's clients. Press Ganey's bread and butter now is the people selling and setting up CAHPS for clients, which is good, but the people doing the work are not valued, supported at all, and Press Ganey hesitates to develop them for fear of them leaving. They really believe that more responsibility is a reward rather than raises or promotions. This is also a very political environment. If you don't have a tough skin, you will be eaten alive.

Advice to Management

You need to look at where your business started and then flesh out a plan to solve issues from there. Things could work out if they were prioritized correctly and other departments, that support and enable actual work, understand they are just that - supporting and enabling. Setting expectations with clients from Sales; hold them accountable and make sure they understand the product. Hire someone from the outside with an reputation of streamlining to help our processes.

Dec 12, 2017 – HR Director

We are fortunate to be part of an ever-changing health care industry that is focused on transforming the way in which care is delivered. Press Ganey is at the center of that transformation with our... More

"Working hard isn’t enough"

Pros

Work Flexible hours and all

Cons

If you are a young cute female you can get promoted with little accountability. Especially by the majority male leadership.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable for job performance regardless of age and appearance

Dec 12, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We have a thorough annual planning process that sets individual objectives to ensure we are aligned as an organization and can hold our associates accountable for work... More

3. "Decent Job"

Current Employee - Data Entry/Commenter in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Data Entry/Commenter in South Bend, IN

Pros

Easy Tasks/Job, great café/break area.

Cons

Not flexible with needing days off

"Customer Service"

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Steady employment. Goals were reasonable. Work conditions good.

Cons

Promotion opportunities less than other companies with degrees and experience.

5. "Great team environment!"

Pros

Teams were smart and customer focused, really talented employees.

Cons

Changing priorities made it tough sometimes to deliver projects on time/budget.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to have ownership in the company with stock purchase plan. Great, talented team that works very hard and long hours to put forth the best product for clients.

"reporting manager"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

the vision to reduce the patient suffering and improve healthcare quality

Cons

Constant organization change and unbalanced like between life and work

Advice to Management

Focus more on long term goals

7. "Intersting"

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Press Ganey as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, very friendly people from the receptionist to the c- level executives.

Cons

Too many competing it priorities, too many competing egos.

Advice to Management

Don't switch contract firms because a brand new VP wants to hire his buddies.
    Make sure the VPs are actually doing their jobs and holding their managers to actual deadlines.

"Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

The company has been growing year after year since I was hired in 2003. Wonderful employees. PG carefully screens candidates for hire to ensure the fit the culture and fast pace of the company.

Cons

Worked very long weeks. I traveled quite a bit which required expensive preparation for each client visited. Press Ganey is constantly changing and it was a challenge to keep up with new products and new processes. Demanding of its employees - heavy workload to the point I felt overwhelmed much of the time.

9. "Growing pains"

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities, good people who care about co-workers, flexibility, good benefits, great long-term outlook

Cons

understaffed, slow to respond to workforce needs, struggle with product releases, change in culture and managing principles since going public

Advice to Management

It is understood that you want to increase revenue without an equal increase in staffing. This is healthy growth, but there has to be balance and right now we are out of balance.

"Stepping Stone to Better Jobs Elsewhere"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my department there are some opportunities to learn about various programming languages and software. We have work laptops that we can take home. Centrally located in South Bend.

Cons

The biggest problem in my experience is a lack of any kind of training. Managers receive no management training. Employees receive no training on how to use the custom software we deal with. Most of my department are self-taught programmers, which leads to various issues and problems. As a new hire, I was expected to learn everything on my own--which set me up for failure. It's like Tetris. If you don't have the basic building blocks--you have lots of holes in your knowledge. I was then criticized heavily for that by my co-workers.

Senior leadership doesn't actually know what our department does. Our department is custom for our clients' needs. We put out hundreds of custom reports every month. Yet we are treated like throw-aways.

There's not a lot of room for advancement within the company. So its a good work experience for people who are right out of college but the company presents no reason to stay here. They invest very little in their employees and every suggestion for training is a constant fight.

There is a lot of talk about Press Ganey being a "family" but--like most companies that say such things--its not actually practiced. If you keep your mouth shut, ignore the bad things that happen and blame others when things go wrong--then you'll be fine. But beware if you stand up for yourself--it will make you some enemies. That whole 'family' idea goes right out the window if you don't fit the mold.

Programmers are paid less than others in their field.

There is no effort to educate departments on what other departments actually do, so there are constant misunderstandings and miscommunications when departments have to collaborate.

Indicated they would replace vending machines with a healthy choices café. That did not happen. They switched vendors to folks who were more expensive and actually sold three times more junk food and pop than the vending machines did. Almost no healthy choices at all and the few that are there are three times more expensive than they should be.

Used to have a yoga/fitness class during lunch that anyone could attend. That has fallen off the wayside.

Advice to Management

More transparency : If you have a problem with an employee, you need to talk with them about it.

Treat your employees equally.

Leadership DOES matter. Its the difference between being a handler/babysitter and being a leader. When you're in a management position, you can't always be liked. A good leader is firm, fair and consistent.

Mar 22, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you recognize the opportunities for gaining additional skills and are provided the tools to work flexibly at Press Ganey. Press Ganey is committed to... More