Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Pros
  • Good Vacation/PTO, work from home (in 16 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • We supported, even embraced, numerous changes, even when they negatively impacted our work-life balance over the years (in 5 reviews)

• Too much turn over from senior leadership (in 7 reviews)

"New Managment Coming In"

Current Employee - IT Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is in high growth mode, direct employees are great to work with.

Cons

Old culture is dead, which was a primary driver for growth, and the reason why the company has not been able to sustain growth. New incoming management limits the opertunity, company is very top heavy.

Advice to Management

Company has become divided amoungst those who were there that drove growth, and those who have come in an caused stagnant growth. Let employees who made the company successfull in the past, continue to make it do so. Suggested were given for growth only to have outside consultants come in an make the same consultion whom have been there for years but

"The culture of old is gone thanks to process wonks who haven't a clue."

Current Employee - Doesn't Matter Because Cronyism Keeps Great Employees Down in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Executive leadership is doing a fantastic job and should be commended for their efforts to improve this once stellar company. NOT!!! They will do everything they can to make sure all shareholders are taken care of. NOT!!! Executive leadership cares about employee satisfaction and treating employees with respect. NOT!!! The culture is not suffering, it's great. NOT!!! If the NOT's sound familiar, it comes from the TOP down on any given day...including the seemingly BAD days that people have. We expect more from our leadership ALWAYS, EVERYDAY.

Cons

Let's start with the obvious conflict of a survey company that sells an employee partnership survey yet no longer places an emphasis on surveying it's own employees. Imagine if the competition found out that Press Ganey sells a product that it doesn't even believe in enough to use internally like it used to. Decisions have consequences. Senor leadership has decided to behold processes and ebitda as the driving factors for company success. Pissing off shareholders along the way. Decisions have consequences.

It used to be said that the greatest key to success at Press Ganey was the people and their desire to help improve healthcare because everyone that worked there would be affected by healthcare at some point in time. It was often said that everybody had equal responsibility for that and everyone was in charge of customer service. It used to be a place where the mantra of "Work hard, play harder" was and meant something real. The company has managed to stay successful for over 25 years by focusing on customer service. The profits came in because of that focus. There was a reason the compass was the company logo. Some said it was a reminder that Press Ganey should never lose it's way towards it's goal of making healthcare better. That goal was achieved through customer service. EBITDA was an after-thought. That's not to say it wasn't important, but it wasn't the focus. Once the focus went away from the customer service aspect of helping clients improve in favor of process and EBITDA, it all went downhill. Decisions have consequences.

The hard working people at Press Ganey may not do everything right, but they do a lot right. And when new leadership comes in and decides to change things for the sake of doing something instead of taking the time to learn what's been successful and what hasn't, well those decisions have consequences too.

The consequences now are only 25% of the reviewers approve of the job you're doing. I'd say that's generous. I'd say that's lemmings of the new leadership trying to boost the numbers. Please please please. The people of Press Ganey aren't new to the numbers boosting game. You can't fool us. Leadership doesn't get a free pass just because they are leadership. If they are holding accountable the employees for their job, then the employees and fellow shareholders should hold leadership accountable as well.

Advice to Management

1. NEVER NEVER EVER get rid of the Employee Partnership survey. It will tell you exactly what you're doing wrong and how to improve it. 2. Before putting stupid processes in place just to put a process in place, learn the current process, examine it for successes and shortcomings and then make the incremental changes as needed in an effort of continuous improvement. 3. Communicate, communicate, communicate. And when you're done, communicate some more. 4. Bring back Dr. Hall. He embodied and embraced the mantra.

I suspect had leadership had the forethought to do some of these things in the beginning, people wouldn't be doing their dirty laundry in public on places like this and other websites for the world to see. That's usually what the employee partnership survey was for but since it was determined early on in new leaderships tenure that the survey was "better placed as a 2013 initiative" this is the outcome of that decision. And decisions have consequences.

"The culture is awful"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We used to have a great culture in our department; good people to work with.

Cons

There have been recent layoffs. Everyone who's left is demoralized and most employees don't believe in this company any longer.

Advice to Management

Nothing that hasn't already been said here - but the new CEO and his buddies are not going to listen.

"Perpetual downward spiral"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of excellence hidden within the company. Find one, put your head down and do your job, and this place can be tolerable.

Cons

Seemingly never-ending string of exceptionally poor executives, poor decision making, zero accountability for poor performance at any level in the company. No direction, no vision from upper management. Spending money on wasteful things like it's going out of style.

Extremely hostile work environment, very very political. Ideas are evaluated and promoted not based upon their merit, but upon who proposed them and to whom that person is connected.

Advice to Management

Go run someone else's company into the ground and give this once respectable organization a fighting chance.

"Former IT employee"

Current Employee - IT Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for. Had a great culture of innovation, collaboration and team spirit. It trusted the workers and valued them. The teams themselves were wonderful to work with.

Cons

After recent change in management, there has been constant change or lack of direction would be more accurate. This has resulted in high level of attrition. While I hung on as much as I could, it was pointless to stay put without there being a team anymore. Most managerial decisions have been puzzling at best.

Advice to Management

None that would be taken.

"The worst professional experience of my life!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has some excellent employees at the ground level.

Cons

There is massive turmoil and backstabbing at the middle management level, the senior managers are inexperienced and in over their heads, and the executives have their heads so far in the clouds that they can't see what is really going on.

From my individual perspective, the workload is unbearable. People keep quitting the company and they are not replaced, so their job responsibilities fall on other already overworked people. When I asked for help, I was told to "work more hours." When I demonstrated that I was already working 60+ hours per week, I was told to "work more efficiently." I'm doing the work of 2.5 people in 60 hours, so I'm already extremely efficient!

The company seems top-heavy with management; for example, there are at least 5 layers of management between the average worker and the executives in a < 1,000 person company.

Salaries are on the low-end of acceptable and the fringe benefits are Spartan. The health care coverage is abysmal, which is ironic because Press Ganey purports to be a leader in the health care industry.

Advice to Management

Interview some of your ground level employees. Realize that the middle management turmoil is

"Used to be a great place to work, not so much anymore"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible with your schedule - letting you work from home, flex hours, etc.

Cons

I used to really think Press Ganey was a great place to work, but in recent months my opinion has taken a complete reversal.

This company continues to pile on unnecessary upper level management (all of whom are old friends of the current CEO), while treating its average employee like dirt. If you are considering working here, don't expect to be fairly compensated for your hard work. Merit increases are no longer a given, and, though they claim that you may still be eligible for a merit increase if you score high marks on your annual performance review, this is a blatant lie. Myself and several others with whom I spoke received marks of "Exceeds Expectations" on our performance reviews, yet we received no merit increases. In the past 6 months alone, I worked an average of 60 hours per week, yet I guess that just wasn't good enough. On the same day that they announced the creation of yet ANOTHER upper level management position, the CEO of the company sent out an e-mail explaining to us that only 65 people in the entire company were deemed worthy of a merit increase this year.

They can't afford to give us raises, or to provide us with desperately needed working laptops, but they sure can afford that new manager! I expect a mass exodus soon.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites with all of your friends and driving this company into the ground. You're ruining what used to be a good company.

"Run into the ground"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a nice level of flexibility in the job and the base pay isn't bad.

Cons

During my tenure with Press Ganey, there have been 4 CEOs. Each one brings in their own team and tries to "fix" what's wrong with the company. They add products and services without truly integrating them so that we have a myriad different platforms and teams that don't interact.

Press Ganey's pricing models are so varied and complicated that it is difficult to tell a prospect what a service costs. That, coupled with PG being the high priced solutions, causes us to lose several deals.

As a sales person, they have instituted a new comp plan in 2013 (which we have yet to receive in writing) that is convoluted, difficult to calculate, and penalizes the sales person for any decrease in a current client's revenue. So if a client discontinues a service because it isn't working - that money cancels out any new sales that were mad. It's possibly the worst SCIP that I have ever had in my 10+ years in sales.

Advice to Management

Streamline your offerings, make pricing more competitive and simple, and don't push a product out to market without testing it's readiness.

"too bad the PR doesn't match the reality"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In a difficult job market, any job can be a good thing. There is an attempt to be competitive on pay and benefits. Experience here can help you move on to your next position while PG still has a good reputation in the industry.

Cons

Bloated and ineffective senior management and too few people to do work. We have more "C" level execs than I have ever seen in a company this size. If you have not worked with the current CEO at his prior positions, you are not going to be taken seriously no matter your experience or abilities. New initiatives are poorly planned and executed, and we expend huge efforts trying to make these initiatives work after initial failures. If you are reading positive reviews of this company, you are reading scripted responses from CEO's new team who seem concerned about perception than reality.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing high paid friends and cronies on board while telling departments with severe staff shortages to "make do". Whether or not you hear comments about this - employees see and recognize this is happening.

A poorly executed good idea doesn't differ much from a bad idea in practice. Execution of plans is as important as anything else - stop developing and trying to implement new initiatives until you can figure out how to execute better.

"Absolutely terrible, worst placed I've EVER worked."

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent - but this is expressly a deceptive technique.

Cons

There is a lot of initial noise about how great the company culture is and how much they care and take care of their employees. Managers spend a lot of time convincing you there is an open door policy and that they will advocate for you. A lot of promises of upward mobility. This is NOT TRUE. They will throw you under the bus the second they perceive it could possibly be beneficial to them. Managers are two-faced and vindictive, do not offer resources or help when merited. "Upward mobility" is a joke. They do not seriously consider internal applicants. Management is often unqualified and perform poorly; they are not held accountable for errors and complaints are not taken seriously and rarely, if ever, followed through on and often result in punitive actions.

Lower level employees are treated as expendable and an embarrassment - they are relegated to a separate building and apparently new-hires are mandated to telecommute, which the company treats as a "great privilege" when in reality, they don't want to expand office space or expend the resources to accommodate, which is hypocritical since their whole business model is veiled in this "advocate for the little guy" rhetoric.

If you are thinking about working here, consider your motivations, and focus your efforts somewhere else.