Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home (for some positions) (in 13 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • slightly lower starting salary than I would have preferred but worth it for the work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

1. "IT Professionals need not apply"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company tells a very good story and leans heavily on what was at one time a respectable history.

Cons

The company strenuously avoids hiring IT Professionals for their IT Departments and instead require degrees in math, psychology or theology from Notre Dame or ST Mary's. They insist on training their own IT Departments which would not be bad if their training manual consisted of more than ' google it '. Everyone in the Departments are self taught so no two people have the same skill set which again could be a strength except for the high turnover rate resulting in IT Senior Management answering inquiries about difficulties with ' that person doesn't work here anymore and no one else knows how it works so we're just not going to use it anymore.' Unfortunately the companies go to response for any difficulties is to hire yet another Senior Vice President which does nothing to address the companies significant technology based difficulties.

Advice to Management

Try to see past how good an idea looks as a bullet point on your next presentation and recognize what it will actually take to make it a reality. Some times you need to look a little further than hiring another friend as Senior Management because right now it is the foundation that is crumbling and continuing to stack more and more weight at the highest level is only going to make it fall faster.

Jul 7, 2017 – HR Director

We appreciate your feedback and take the hiring of our skilled professionals seriously in every department, including IT. We have a thorough and thoughtful recruitment process that combines... More

"Analytics"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Nothing at all to say here

Cons

No clear team goal, lacking of team corporation

"Unusual Experience"

Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great. There is a lot of flexibility to take time off if needed. Not much else I can say is a pro.

Cons

Management, inconsistencies across teams, lack of ability to move up or around in the company. Thoughts and ideas aren't too valued.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are fit to be managers. Create some consistency throughout different teams. Work on promoting from within.

Jun 12, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Press Ganey is proud to foster an associate-driven culture. As reflected by our recognition on Becker’s list of the top places to work in health care for the past three... More

"Press Ganey Review"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The health benefits offered to employees at Press Ganey are amazing. The health benefits as well as knowing our employment positions will contribute to I improving the quality of care patients will receive in their future visits. This responsibility is incredibly important and makes the job worthwhile.

Cons

However, downsides occur with any job. Lack of communication from the Management to Supervisors to Leads to associates leaves a lot to be desired and is a continual problem. The communication difficulties is a factor is every aspect of the many job responsibilities and can cause multiple unnecessary issues.

"Could be better.."

Pros

My immediate teammates, the flexibility and PTO.

Cons

Complaints and concerns are not addressed, workload is beyond manageable, department heads are never seen nor heard, basically just have to keep your head down and keep quiet because nothing will change. Either have to decide to deal with it, or quit. I am dealing with it because even though the pay is low for the massive workload & expectations, it's unfortunately competitive for this area.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees more and image less.

Apr 11, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you appreciate the flexibility and other benefits that Press Ganey provides. Benefits such as these are the direct result of listening to the voices of... More

"Layoff happy"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company offers good, very specialized, experience in the short-term.

Cons

Likes to layoff entire departments at a time. A lot of people's jobs just up and disappear. Would not recommend for long-term career paths. The disappearance of departments also puts a strain on other departments.

Advice to Management

It is profitable to replace positions filled by people with technology, but I would advise such a high turnover rate among people at least be looked into.

Mar 17, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback and especially for your service over the past 3+ years. Press Ganey is committed to cultivating ongoing professional development at all levels and recognize how essential... More

"Looks can be deceiving...watch out!"

Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Press Ganey uses old technology for their surveys and data collection, but they are proven over time. They still have the deepest bench over all other vendors in the space. They are expensive, but their should be a premium price to pay when comparing your organization to the cream of the crop. Until more companies leave to go to other vendors, Press Ganey will have the advantage of more data.

Cons

When I joined this company 5+ years ago, I definitely had on rose-colored glasses. I was educated by Studer, and to me, Press Ganey was always THE PLACE TO BE. They had a great reputation of being well-educated, scientific, family-oriented, employee and customer-centric. It was like that when I first started. However, the company has grown, the management has changed and things are no longer how Drs. Press and Ganey intended for the company to be. It is sad because it really had the potential to do great things. The executive team is all about the "reduction of suffering." That seems like a good thing, right? However, what has been happening of late is that the "suffering" is being directed at the employees. The Management Team is fear-based and punitive. It is not the "collaborative" environment that we preach to our clients. It's sad because I think that the current Management Team is taking Press Ganey down and allowing the competition to get a strong foothold. There were days when I didn't have to worry that my customer was going to be here tomorrow; there just wasn't anywhere credible for them to go -- those days are over. In talking about improvement with my customers, I am finding that they have talked to our competition and they are considering moving to other vendors. They feel that PG has changed and the service level has suffered. I continue to try to provide exceptional customer service to my clients, but it gets harder and harder due to the environment that the PG Management has created. It is a very caustic culture. DON'T EVER MAKE A MISTAKE because the senior leadership does not tolerate mistakes and punishment will be forthcoming (even if it is something very small; you will be written up and put on "a plan.") NOT FUN!

Advice to Management

The Golden Rule should apply -- treat others as you would like to be treated. You have too many levels of management and you have lost the ability to connect with the employees and the clients. Everyone is noticing, even if you aren't.

Sep 24, 2015 – Director of Internal Communications

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your experience at Press Ganey.

I’d like to clarify a few points included in your review.

This year, there have been a... More

"The Worst"

Current Employee - Consultant/Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant/Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey (More than a year)

Pros

If you're in a management position, you'll be there forever or as long as you want to be. Still its low pay for management...

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. It was a great environment before Dr.'s Press & Ganey sold it to a corporation. Now its so corporate...the way they treat their employees is horrifying, and they offer very low compensation. Press Ganey Associates is all about the profit margin, not the employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better for God's sake. They're people not robots. Stop dumbing down position titles, so you can save $$ on wages and increase your profit margins. Recognize talent when you see it. Though I don't think you would recognize talent if it hit you in the face. You've got people who've been there for 6+ years with no opportunity to move up, young talented people. The only thing keeping you in business is your benchmarking capability, because at some point you were #1 and you have the book of business. If you keep having account manager turnover, you're going to continue to loose that, and sink. It's only a matter of time unless you get with the program, stop trying to increase profits at all costs and focus on the employees and clients.

"A Hot Mess"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some departments/teams are quite flexible and reasonable about work life balance, including working from home when needed.

Cons

Some departments/teams have a culture of constant chaos, tension and pressure.

The company's new executive team(s) over the past few years have made it very clear that they are not interested in investment or retention of staff level employees. Overall, the morale in my department has improved a bit but remains low.

The company is extremely top-heavy with many executives paid highly to make the important decisions (or, more accurately, to argue with each other over decisions that never get made, or get made only to be reversed within months) and not enough staff to complete work. Executives are out of touch with the actual work going on at any given time.

"Loss of mission, vision and values is damaging those that matter most - the customers (external/internal)."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment with benefits (vacation time/insurance). Friendly, educated and helpful co-workers willing to help with tasks. Discount toward gym membership to improve employee fitness/wellness.

Cons

Major disconnect between employees and leadership. Lack of resources and staff to adequately serve the customers. Promotions, if they happen, are rare and typically occur at senior manager/executive level. Huge employee turnover throughout 2013.

Advice to Management

Lessons are repeated until they are learned...listen to your employees and implement improvements quickly.