Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home (for some positions) (in 13 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • However, depending on your level of dedication (which typically is high among PG staff) work/life balance can be compromised (in 6 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

"Press Ganey Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The health benefits offered to employees at Press Ganey are amazing. The health benefits as well as knowing our employment positions will contribute to I improving the quality of care patients will receive in their future visits. This responsibility is incredibly important and makes the job worthwhile.

Cons

However, downsides occur with any job. Lack of communication from the Management to Supervisors to Leads to associates leaves a lot to be desired and is a continual problem. The communication difficulties is a factor is every aspect of the many job responsibilities and can cause multiple unnecessary issues.

"Could be better.."

Pros

My immediate teammates, the flexibility and PTO.

Cons

Complaints and concerns are not addressed, workload is beyond manageable, department heads are never seen nor heard, basically just have to keep your head down and keep quiet because nothing will change. Either have to decide to deal with it, or quit. I am dealing with it because even though the pay is low for the massive workload & expectations, it's unfortunately competitive for this area.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees more and image less.

Apr 11, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you appreciate the flexibility and other benefits that Press Ganey provides. Benefits such as these are the direct result of listening to the voices of ... More

"Layoff happy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company offers good, very specialized, experience in the short-term.

Cons

Likes to layoff entire departments at a time. A lot of people's jobs just up and disappear. Would not recommend for long-term career paths. The disappearance of departments also puts a strain on other departments.

Advice to Management

It is profitable to replace positions filled by people with technology, but I would advise such a high turnover rate among people at least be looked into.

Mar 17, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback and especially for your service over the past 3+ years. Press Ganey is committed to cultivating ongoing professional development at all levels and recognize how essential ... More

"Looks can be deceiving...watch out!"

Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Press Ganey uses old technology for their surveys and data collection, but they are proven over time. They still have the deepest bench over all other vendors in the space. They are expensive, but their should be a premium price to pay when comparing your organization to the cream of the crop. Until more companies leave to go to other vendors, Press Ganey will have the advantage of more data.

Cons

When I joined this company 5+ years ago, I definitely had on rose-colored glasses. I was educated by Studer, and to me, Press Ganey was always THE PLACE TO BE. They had a great reputation of being well-educated, scientific, family-oriented, employee and customer-centric. It was like that when I first started. However, the company has grown, the management has changed and things are no longer how Drs. Press and Ganey intended for the company to be. It is sad because it really had the potential to do great things. The executive team is all about the "reduction of suffering." That seems like a good thing, right? However, what has been happening of late is that the "suffering" is being directed at the employees. The Management Team is fear-based and punitive. It is not the "collaborative" environment that we preach to our clients. It's sad because I think that the current Management Team is taking Press Ganey down and allowing the competition to get a strong foothold. There were days when I didn't have to worry that my customer was going to be here tomorrow; there just wasn't anywhere credible for them to go -- those days are over. In talking about improvement with my customers, I am finding that they have talked to our competition and they are considering moving to other vendors. They feel that PG has changed and the service level has suffered. I continue to try to provide exceptional customer service to my clients, but it gets harder and harder due to the environment that the PG Management has created. It is a very caustic culture. DON'T EVER MAKE A MISTAKE because the senior leadership does not tolerate mistakes and punishment will be forthcoming (even if it is something very small; you will be written up and put on "a plan.") NOT FUN!

Advice to Management

The Golden Rule should apply -- treat others as you would like to be treated. You have too many levels of management and you have lost the ability to connect with the employees and the clients. Everyone is noticing, even if you aren't.

Sep 24, 2015 – Director of Internal Communications

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your experience at Press Ganey. I’d like to clarify a few points included in your review. This year, there have been a ... More

"The Worst"

Current Employee - Consultant/Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant/Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey (More than a year)

Pros

If you're in a management position, you'll be there forever or as long as you want to be. Still its low pay for management...

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. It was a great environment before Dr.'s Press & Ganey sold it to a corporation. Now its so corporate...the way they treat their employees is horrifying, and they offer very low compensation. Press Ganey Associates is all about the profit margin, not the employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better for God's sake. They're people not robots. Stop dumbing down position titles, so you can save $$ on wages and increase your profit margins. Recognize talent when you see it. Though I don't think you would recognize talent if it hit you in the face. You've got people who've been there for 6+ years with no opportunity to move up, young talented people. The only thing keeping you in business is your benchmarking capability, because at some point you were #1 and you have the book of business. If you keep having account manager turnover, you're going to continue to loose that, and sink. It's only a matter of time unless you get with the program, stop trying to increase profits at all costs and focus on the employees and clients.

"A Hot Mess"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some departments/teams are quite flexible and reasonable about work life balance, including working from home when needed.

Cons

Some departments/teams have a culture of constant chaos, tension and pressure.

The company's new executive team(s) over the past few years have made it very clear that they are not interested in investment or retention of staff level employees. Overall, the morale in my department has improved a bit but remains low.

The company is extremely top-heavy with many executives paid highly to make the important decisions (or, more accurately, to argue with each other over decisions that never get made, or get made only to be reversed within months) and not enough staff to complete work. Executives are out of touch with the actual work going on at any given time.

"Loss of mission, vision and values is damaging those that matter most - the customers (external/internal)."

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment with benefits (vacation time/insurance). Friendly, educated and helpful co-workers willing to help with tasks. Discount toward gym membership to improve employee fitness/wellness.

Cons

Major disconnect between employees and leadership. Lack of resources and staff to adequately serve the customers. Promotions, if they happen, are rare and typically occur at senior manager/executive level. Huge employee turnover throughout 2013.

Advice to Management

Lessons are repeated until they are learned...listen to your employees and implement improvements quickly.

"Formerly fantastic currently awful"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers, the original mission of the company, the healthcare industry,

Cons

management is extremely arrogant with no results that would justify arrogance, A exemplary culture focused on accountability, mutual respect, customer focused, and employee driven has been destroyed. It seems the current ceo and many of his henchmen/women came from a company where they did not survive the cut

Advice to Management

Please resign

"Great colleagues, incompetent upper management"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Fellow colleagues are very supportive. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Upper management asks for constant feedback about work conditions and never seem to do anything about it. It's like talking to a wall.

Advice to Management

Please stop putting the cart before the horse. Have a set timeline for employees with respect to internal improvements. After years of hearing "we're working on it," people become disheartened.

"A great company goes down hill"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the rate people are leaving, they are likely to get desparate to hire replacements. There could be a good opportunity for someone who is looking at the end of 2013. There is still some level of accomodation of work/home balance but I am not sure that it will last. There is still the possibility that if the current senior management is replaced that Press Ganey could be a great company again. There are people who are being kept from doing that today.

Cons

The company is very short term focussed. This makes them do things that can have good immediate financial results but are likely to have fatal consequences in the future. The technical debt is enourmous and growing. Individuals do not matter in the company. It is clear that the management perception is that everyone is interchangable and easily replaced. The power structure is very buddy oriented, what was once called the old boys club (but with no gender discrimination at Press Ganey). Being the buddy of the next level up is far more important than competence. It appears that the company is in serious financial straights that has been well hidden from the financial analysts and investors. In the last two years, there has been one bonus paid (The CEO said that based on the financials it should not have been paid) and basically no raises even for exceptional performance according to the CEO.

Advice to Management

It is time to stop putting bandaids on fatal wounds. A vision for what the company wants to be is needed and needs to be sufficiently concrete that it can be realized. The greatest weakness of the senior management team is that there is little to no competence in the area of leadship. When the new senior management team came in, there was a grand vision which failed because the senior management did not know how to make the vision feel real and achievable. When it came down to actually planning a transition from the current state to the future state, the senior management could not develop the plans to make it achievable. Instead they assumed that they could start from absolute scratch and by some miracle, the company would arrive at that vision.

You need to bring some people with real leadership skills into the company to compensate for the lack of these skills at the senior management level. Promoting people who are bullies and who pontificate with obviously no knowledge about their topic will not hlep build confidence in the "leadeship" of the management.