Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • slightly lower starting salary than I would have preferred but worth it for the work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

"Tough Interview; good place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in South Bend, IN

Pros

Company is financially stable and in a high-growth mode.

Cons

For some positions pay is below average.

Advice to Management

Review competitors hiring practices and pay.

"Excellent Employer with Plenty of Career Potential"

Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in South Bend, IN

Pros

I was brought in twice to work as a contract recruiter to source, screen, extend offers to Sales and Marketing professionals. This company shows respect for all personnel. The company is large enough so that there is plenty of room for career growth and small enough so there are a lot of activities to feel like part of a work 'family'. South Bend, IN is a small/big town so this company fits right in with its' surroundings.

Cons

The salary is average. I don't have a lot of negative things to say about working here. It would be nice if there were more nearby quality places to eat and have coffee.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"New Managment Coming In"

Current Employee - IT Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is in high growth mode, direct employees are great to work with.

Cons

Old culture is dead, which was a primary driver for growth, and the reason why the company has not been able to sustain growth. New incoming management limits the opertunity, company is very top heavy.

Advice to Management

Company has become divided amoungst those who were there that drove growth, and those who have come in an caused stagnant growth. Let employees who made the company successfull in the past, continue to make it do so. Suggested were given for growth only to have outside consultants come in an make the same consultion whom have been there for years but

"Great new leadership! Quickly moving us in the right direction."

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great new leadership team. They quickly identified the opportunities for us to continue to grow this fantastic company.

Cons

Quick growth is tough for those who are adverse to change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the constant communication with the associates.

"Good plan, poor execution and disconnected leadership"

Current Employee - Improvement Manager
    Current Employee - Improvement Manager

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Press Ganey truly cares about making healthcare better. They are the best at what they do and have been doing it for 25+ years. The employees are (or were) passionate about what they do when not fearing for their jobs. People subscribe to the work hard play hard mentality and have fun with the people around them. I absolutely love visiting clients and help them give better care.

Cons

3 New CEOs and Executive teams in 4 years, each progressively worse. Each new team comes in with a "ground breaking" plan and then replaces the employees with those who they worked with in the past (truth be told, like any other corporation). We now have more Vice Presidents than one can count and not enough people to do the job. A constant revolving door where employees work in fear of losing their job with No bonuses. No one questions a decision because they are afraid they will be replaced, but we somehow are supposed to think innovatively.

Our core business is satisfaction surveys but we haven't had an employee survey in 2 years, I assume because leadership either knows how unhappy people are or that ignorant they think we are satisfied (and exactly why I am posting on here).

Since I started its a completely different place.

Advice to Management

People will accept change if it makes sense, just be more gradual. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel and listen to the little guy every once in awhile. Go back to listening to customers and quit replacing good people with "your guys" as you've labeled them. Our people and customers will gladly tell you what you want to know, just listen to their needs.

"The company hacks have distorted the real picture of Press Ganey"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Boston Office has a lot of great people.

Cons

The current senior managment comes accross as clueless. They have exciting visions with no ablitiy to execute on them.

Advice to Management

Communicate a road map. It is hard to find a directoin to a great destination without a clue about where you are today and a plan to get from the current situation to an exciting future.

"Once an enjoyable workplace has become not so enjoyable after all"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers and middle management are very supportive

Cons

New senior leadership has brought an east-coast attitude to business to midwest family life - the two are like oil and water. Some of us are now expected to be on call 24/7 and in the office until west coast business hours end....which is past dinner time for our families - for those of us with college degrees it shouldn't be a surprise that we are dissatisfied with being expected to work retail hours like this. No more bonuses and funds for celebrations have been given away to unfamiliar charities. Not cool.

Advice to Management

You may not think that the satisfaction of employees is important and that you can just hire more people to replace those who have left, but all of our data we've collected for our clients says a high turnover and dissatisfied employees equal dissatisfied clients and decreased revenue...perhaps we need to practice what we preach?

8. "Change is for the best"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Press Ganey is a great company to work for and has done very well. However, it's clear that there have been many areas that were neglected or under invested in. This is clearly changing with the new management team and people are excited about the ability to continue to build on Press Ganey's success.

Cons

Change isn't for everyone and makes some people nervous. Hopefully some big wins will convince those that are nervous that change is for the better.

Advice to Management

Implement performance management. Remove non-performers quickly but make sure you just as quickly reward those top performers.

"The culture of old is gone thanks to process wonks who haven't a clue."

Current Employee - Doesn't Matter Because Cronyism Keeps Great Employees Down in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Executive leadership is doing a fantastic job and should be commended for their efforts to improve this once stellar company. NOT!!! They will do everything they can to make sure all shareholders are taken care of. NOT!!! Executive leadership cares about employee satisfaction and treating employees with respect. NOT!!! The culture is not suffering, it's great. NOT!!! If the NOT's sound familiar, it comes from the TOP down on any given day...including the seemingly BAD days that people have. We expect more from our leadership ALWAYS, EVERYDAY.

Cons

Let's start with the obvious conflict of a survey company that sells an employee partnership survey yet no longer places an emphasis on surveying it's own employees. Imagine if the competition found out that Press Ganey sells a product that it doesn't even believe in enough to use internally like it used to. Decisions have consequences. Senor leadership has decided to behold processes and ebitda as the driving factors for company success. Pissing off shareholders along the way. Decisions have consequences.

It used to be said that the greatest key to success at Press Ganey was the people and their desire to help improve healthcare because everyone that worked there would be affected by healthcare at some point in time. It was often said that everybody had equal responsibility for that and everyone was in charge of customer service. It used to be a place where the mantra of "Work hard, play harder" was and meant something real. The company has managed to stay successful for over 25 years by focusing on customer service. The profits came in because of that focus. There was a reason the compass was the company logo. Some said it was a reminder that Press Ganey should never lose it's way towards it's goal of making healthcare better. That goal was achieved through customer service. EBITDA was an after-thought. That's not to say it wasn't important, but it wasn't the focus. Once the focus went away from the customer service aspect of helping clients improve in favor of process and EBITDA, it all went downhill. Decisions have consequences.

The hard working people at Press Ganey may not do everything right, but they do a lot right. And when new leadership comes in and decides to change things for the sake of doing something instead of taking the time to learn what's been successful and what hasn't, well those decisions have consequences too.

The consequences now are only 25% of the reviewers approve of the job you're doing. I'd say that's generous. I'd say that's lemmings of the new leadership trying to boost the numbers. Please please please. The people of Press Ganey aren't new to the numbers boosting game. You can't fool us. Leadership doesn't get a free pass just because they are leadership. If they are holding accountable the employees for their job, then the employees and fellow shareholders should hold leadership accountable as well.

Advice to Management

1. NEVER NEVER EVER get rid of the Employee Partnership survey. It will tell you exactly what you're doing wrong and how to improve it. 2. Before putting stupid processes in place just to put a process in place, learn the current process, examine it for successes and shortcomings and then make the incremental changes as needed in an effort of continuous improvement. 3. Communicate, communicate, communicate. And when you're done, communicate some more. 4. Bring back Dr. Hall. He embodied and embraced the mantra.

I suspect had leadership had the forethought to do some of these things in the beginning, people wouldn't be doing their dirty laundry in public on places like this and other websites for the world to see. That's usually what the employee partnership survey was for but since it was determined early on in new leaderships tenure that the survey was "better placed as a 2013 initiative" this is the outcome of that decision. And decisions have consequences.

"Sad to see so many exceptional people be so marginalized"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

If we can execute we have an extraordinary mission.

Cons

Talented, dedicated people both new and old are exhausted, demoralized, afraid to speak up and suffering from the fractured communication of the new c-suite. Even strong and seasoned executives are wary of public humiliation. critical decisions are being made without complete information - but the bullying and disdain of the CEO is a strong deterrent to collaboration.

Advice to Management

Understand that words and tone matter. Most PG employees, even the executives are not independently wealthy - the work they do at press ganey is how they support their families. The new culture seems to revolve around the ceo's mood: don't make him mad, stay out of his line of fire.