Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

Press Ganey Reviews

Updated March 29, 2017

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home (for some positions) (in 13 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • However, depending on your level of dedication (which typically is high among PG staff) work/life balance can be compromised (in 6 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

"The worst professional experience of my life!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has some excellent employees at the ground level.

Cons

There is massive turmoil and backstabbing at the middle management level, the senior managers are inexperienced and in over their heads, and the executives have their heads so far in the clouds that they can't see what is really going on.

From my individual perspective, the workload is unbearable. People keep quitting the company and they are not replaced, so their job responsibilities fall on other already overworked people. When I asked for help, I was told to "work more hours." When I demonstrated that I was already working 60+ hours per week, I was told to "work more efficiently." I'm doing the work of 2.5 people in 60 hours, so I'm already extremely efficient!

The company seems top-heavy with management; for example, there are at least 5 layers of management between the average worker and the executives in a < 1,000 person company.

Salaries are on the low-end of acceptable and the fringe benefits are Spartan. The health care coverage is abysmal, which is ironic because Press Ganey purports to be a leader in the health care industry.

Advice to Management

Interview some of your ground level employees. Realize that the middle management turmoil is

"Former IT employee"

Current Employee - IT Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for. Had a great culture of innovation, collaboration and team spirit. It trusted the workers and valued them. The teams themselves were wonderful to work with.

Cons

After recent change in management, there has been constant change or lack of direction would be more accurate. This has resulted in high level of attrition. While I hung on as much as I could, it was pointless to stay put without there being a team anymore. Most managerial decisions have been puzzling at best.

Advice to Management

None that would be taken.

"The culture is awful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We used to have a great culture in our department; good people to work with.

Cons

There have been recent layoffs. Everyone who's left is demoralized and most employees don't believe in this company any longer.

Advice to Management

Nothing that hasn't already been said here - but the new CEO and his buddies are not going to listen.

"The culture of old is gone thanks to process wonks who haven't a clue."

Current Employee - Doesn't Matter Because Cronyism Keeps Great Employees Down in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Doesn&#039;t Matter Because Cronyism Keeps Great Employees Down in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Executive leadership is doing a fantastic job and should be commended for their efforts to improve this once stellar company. NOT!!! They will do everything they can to make sure all shareholders are taken care of. NOT!!! Executive leadership cares about employee satisfaction and treating employees with respect. NOT!!! The culture is not suffering, it's great. NOT!!! If the NOT's sound familiar, it comes from the TOP down on any given day...including the seemingly BAD days that people have. We expect more from our leadership ALWAYS, EVERYDAY.

Cons

Let's start with the obvious conflict of a survey company that sells an employee partnership survey yet no longer places an emphasis on surveying it's own employees. Imagine if the competition found out that Press Ganey sells a product that it doesn't even believe in enough to use internally like it used to. Decisions have consequences. Senor leadership has decided to behold processes and ebitda as the driving factors for company success. Pissing off shareholders along the way. Decisions have consequences.

It used to be said that the greatest key to success at Press Ganey was the people and their desire to help improve healthcare because everyone that worked there would be affected by healthcare at some point in time. It was often said that everybody had equal responsibility for that and everyone was in charge of customer service. It used to be a place where the mantra of "Work hard, play harder" was and meant something real. The company has managed to stay successful for over 25 years by focusing on customer service. The profits came in because of that focus. There was a reason the compass was the company logo. Some said it was a reminder that Press Ganey should never lose it's way towards it's goal of making healthcare better. That goal was achieved through customer service. EBITDA was an after-thought. That's not to say it wasn't important, but it wasn't the focus. Once the focus went away from the customer service aspect of helping clients improve in favor of process and EBITDA, it all went downhill. Decisions have consequences.

The hard working people at Press Ganey may not do everything right, but they do a lot right. And when new leadership comes in and decides to change things for the sake of doing something instead of taking the time to learn what's been successful and what hasn't, well those decisions have consequences too.

The consequences now are only 25% of the reviewers approve of the job you're doing. I'd say that's generous. I'd say that's lemmings of the new leadership trying to boost the numbers. Please please please. The people of Press Ganey aren't new to the numbers boosting game. You can't fool us. Leadership doesn't get a free pass just because they are leadership. If they are holding accountable the employees for their job, then the employees and fellow shareholders should hold leadership accountable as well.

Advice to Management

1. NEVER NEVER EVER get rid of the Employee Partnership survey. It will tell you exactly what you're doing wrong and how to improve it. 2. Before putting stupid processes in place just to put a process in place, learn the current process, examine it for successes and shortcomings and then make the incremental changes as needed in an effort of continuous improvement. 3. Communicate, communicate, communicate. And when you're done, communicate some more. 4. Bring back Dr. Hall. He embodied and embraced the mantra.

I suspect had leadership had the forethought to do some of these things in the beginning, people wouldn't be doing their dirty laundry in public on places like this and other websites for the world to see. That's usually what the employee partnership survey was for but since it was determined early on in new leaderships tenure that the survey was "better placed as a 2013 initiative" this is the outcome of that decision. And decisions have consequences.

"The change in culture has been this organization's demise."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

The company provided a great service to their clients and truly practiced what they preached. I was a proud employee. Their products are amazing (I can only speak to their core patient/employee survey component.

Cons

I have seen a few comments stating that others that have left negative reviews are individuals that aren't good with change. I completely disagree. It has become a "good ol' boy" club and if you do not kiss up to the right person in the right manner, you are treated poorly and driven out. Change IS good. There were many MANY people that would have done whatever was necessary to promote and develop the company. They have lost a lot of dedicated people and with that, a lot of what made Press Ganey the wonderful company that Dr.'s Press, Ganey, and Hall created.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I doubt any "advice" would help. If you asked this 4 years ago, I am certain it would have been sincerely accepted. Now, not so much.

"New Managment Coming In"

Current Employee - IT Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is in high growth mode, direct employees are great to work with.

Cons

Old culture is dead, which was a primary driver for growth, and the reason why the company has not been able to sustain growth. New incoming management limits the opertunity, company is very top heavy.

Advice to Management

Company has become divided amoungst those who were there that drove growth, and those who have come in an caused stagnant growth. Let employees who made the company successfull in the past, continue to make it do so. Suggested were given for growth only to have outside consultants come in an make the same consultion whom have been there for years but

"Very high turnaround and no advancement. Was told not to mention advancement in my interview."

Former Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN

Pros

Dresscode is casual and there are some nice coworkers

Cons

no advancement, no respect, horrible communication, favoritism, raises are a joke and since they have changed leadership they have fired pretty much their entire workforce and replaced it. The pay seems ok when you start and then you end up bascially working 3 jobs in one position.

Advice to Management

Treat people as you would want to be treated.

9. "Data Entry"

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

can set your own hours

Cons

Lots of mandatory OT, rude supervisors, company no longer cares about employees, com,pany no longer cares about getting information accurate - it's more about quantity, then quality

Advice to Management

close.

"Could be better.."

Pros

My immediate teammates, the flexibility and PTO.

Cons

Complaints and concerns are not addressed, workload is beyond manageable, department heads are never seen nor heard, basically just have to keep your head down and keep quiet because nothing will change. Either have to decide to deal with it, or quit. I am dealing with it because even though the pay is low for the massive workload & expectations, it's unfortunately competitive for this area.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees more and image less.

Press Ganey Response

Apr 11, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you appreciate the flexibility and other benefits that Press Ganey provides. Benefits such as these are the direct result of listening to the voices of ... More

"Dr. Press & Dr. Ganey would be extremely disappointed!"

Former Employee - Patient Experience Advisor
    Former Employee - Patient Experience Advisor

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, very intelligent. Care deeply about customers. Employees are trying to do what is right for customers.

Cons

VERY, VERY, TOP HEAVy with regard to overpaid executives. Lots of layers between top and the "worker bees". Expectation to work weekends and even while on vacation. COO is proud of the fact that he, nor the CEO, have ever been away from their phones or email for even a day. Management team has taken their eye off the ball and other companies are getting a leg up.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Listen to what they say. The award for being a top place to work is a joke.