Press Ganey Reviews | Glassdoor

Press Ganey Reviews

Updated June 30, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home (for some positions) (in 13 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • slightly lower starting salary than I would have preferred but worth it for the work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

"Layoff happy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company offers good, very specialized, experience in the short-term.

Cons

Likes to layoff entire departments at a time. A lot of people's jobs just up and disappear. Would not recommend for long-term career paths. The disappearance of departments also puts a strain on other departments.

Advice to Management

It is profitable to replace positions filled by people with technology, but I would advise such a high turnover rate among people at least be looked into.

Press Ganey Response

Mar 17, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Org Development

Thank you for your feedback and especially for your service over the past 3+ years. Press Ganey is committed to cultivating ongoing professional development at all levels and recognize how essential... More

"Looks can be deceiving...watch out!"

Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Press Ganey uses old technology for their surveys and data collection, but they are proven over time. They still have the deepest bench over all other vendors in the space. They are expensive, but their should be a premium price to pay when comparing your organization to the cream of the crop. Until more companies leave to go to other vendors, Press Ganey will have the advantage of more data.

Cons

When I joined this company 5+ years ago, I definitely had on rose-colored glasses. I was educated by Studer, and to me, Press Ganey was always THE PLACE TO BE. They had a great reputation of being well-educated, scientific, family-oriented, employee and customer-centric. It was like that when I first started. However, the company has grown, the management has changed and things are no longer how Drs. Press and Ganey intended for the company to be. It is sad because it really had the potential to do great things. The executive team is all about the "reduction of suffering." That seems like a good thing, right? However, what has been happening of late is that the "suffering" is being directed at the employees. The Management Team is fear-based and punitive. It is not the "collaborative" environment that we preach to our clients. It's sad because I think that the current Management Team is taking Press Ganey down and allowing the competition to get a strong foothold. There were days when I didn't have to worry that my customer was going to be here tomorrow; there just wasn't anywhere credible for them to go -- those days are over. In talking about improvement with my customers, I am finding that they have talked to our competition and they are considering moving to other vendors. They feel that PG has changed and the service level has suffered. I continue to try to provide exceptional customer service to my clients, but it gets harder and harder due to the environment that the PG Management has created. It is a very caustic culture. DON'T EVER MAKE A MISTAKE because the senior leadership does not tolerate mistakes and punishment will be forthcoming (even if it is something very small; you will be written up and put on "a plan.") NOT FUN!

Advice to Management

The Golden Rule should apply -- treat others as you would like to be treated. You have too many levels of management and you have lost the ability to connect with the employees and the clients. Everyone is noticing, even if you aren't.

Press Ganey Response

Sep 24, 2015 – Director of Internal Communications

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your experience at Press Ganey.

I’d like to clarify a few points included in your review.

This year, there have been a... More

"Dr. Press & Dr. Ganey would be extremely disappointed!"

Former Employee - Patient Experience Advisor
    Former Employee - Patient Experience Advisor

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, very intelligent. Care deeply about customers. Employees are trying to do what is right for customers.

Cons

VERY, VERY, TOP HEAVy with regard to overpaid executives. Lots of layers between top and the "worker bees". Expectation to work weekends and even while on vacation. COO is proud of the fact that he, nor the CEO, have ever been away from their phones or email for even a day. Management team has taken their eye off the ball and other companies are getting a leg up.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Listen to what they say. The award for being a top place to work is a joke.

"The Worst"

Current Employee - Consultant/Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant/Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey (More than a year)

Pros

If you're in a management position, you'll be there forever or as long as you want to be. Still its low pay for management...

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. It was a great environment before Dr.'s Press & Ganey sold it to a corporation. Now its so corporate...the way they treat their employees is horrifying, and they offer very low compensation. Press Ganey Associates is all about the profit margin, not the employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better for God's sake. They're people not robots. Stop dumbing down position titles, so you can save $$ on wages and increase your profit margins. Recognize talent when you see it. Though I don't think you would recognize talent if it hit you in the face. You've got people who've been there for 6+ years with no opportunity to move up, young talented people. The only thing keeping you in business is your benchmarking capability, because at some point you were #1 and you have the book of business. If you keep having account manager turnover, you're going to continue to loose that, and sink. It's only a matter of time unless you get with the program, stop trying to increase profits at all costs and focus on the employees and clients.

5. "Run Far"

Former Employee - Phone Representative in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Phone Representative in South Bend, IN

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One great female supervisor. Two great female leads. Friendly phone reps.

Cons

Management is awful. Everyone acts oblivious to the fact that it needs to change. No one will say anything to anyone because they are all friends, and do not want to step on anyone's toes. There is no such thing as a professional environment here. I enjoyed my fellow co-workers but did not enjoy being talked down to by upper staff. The phone center consists of mostly female supervisors, leads, and of course the phone reps. There are only two male leads. One is brainless and the other painstakingly thorough in the most annoying way possible, as well as moody. IF YOU'RE A HOSPITAL CONSIDERING PRESS GANEY AS YOUR SURVEYOR FORGET IT. QUANTITY OVER QUALITY HERE, unless you don't care because well, they don't either.

Advice to Management

Quit treating phone reps like garbage. You all just happened across your jobs because you were in the right place at the right time. IT JUST HAPPENED. If it weren't for certain events all you schmucks would still be on the phones or no longer working with Press Ganey. There are three good supervisors/leads I will not mention by name, but the rest of you can are unacceptably unprofessional. Oh and PATRICK T. RYAN IS A JOKE TOO.

"WORST PLACE EVER!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can clock in and out on your phone!

Cons

-Management sucks
    -Hours are terrible
    -Pay is horrible
    -No room for growth
    -No communication
    -Worst Work/Life Balance

I have worked in health care for over 15 years, in a clinical setting, outpatient you name it. This company is horrible! C-suite and execs put 4 people's jobs on one employee, they do not communicate changes. RUN FOR THE HILLS!! Do not work here!!!!

Advice to Management

Pay us more, do not treat us like garbage!

"Disappointed"

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

The mission of the organization is meaningful and there are many great people that work there. People often like the work they do. Their core product is strong. Great clients. Good to average benefits.

Cons

The CEO is on a personal power trip and has surrounded himself with buddies who won't disagree with him. Many bad decisions by C-suite and no accountability. Buying companies without successfully integrating. The culture is going downhill. (Many reviews on Glassdoor are fake and written by marketing to improve ratings)

Advice to Management

Clean house at the top and focus on employees. A service organization is only as strong as its people. Don't ignore the talent drain - invest in employee development and culture, and you can turn things around.

"Instead of Good to Great has gone from Great to Mediocre"

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great front line staff; hard working, caring and intelligent. Wonderful CNO - love her focus regarding the importance of nursing on patient satisfaction. Get to work with great hospitals in various places across the nation.

Cons

Sr Management; more interested in promoting "their" way than making sure what is best for the organization. Too many egos. Not trustworthy - will make a decision one day and then reverse it a week later regardless of how it hurts any employees. Used to promote a small sample for surveying as the best methodology - now promote "every patient" as a way to charge more. Have lost a lot of good people which have been replaced by Sr Mgmt cronies.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about the welfare of the company, its workers and clients more than your own personal welfare.

"A Hot Mess"

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some departments/teams are quite flexible and reasonable about work life balance, including working from home when needed.

Cons

Some departments/teams have a culture of constant chaos, tension and pressure.

The company's new executive team(s) over the past few years have made it very clear that they are not interested in investment or retention of staff level employees. Overall, the morale in my department has improved a bit but remains low.

The company is extremely top-heavy with many executives paid highly to make the important decisions (or, more accurately, to argue with each other over decisions that never get made, or get made only to be reversed within months) and not enough staff to complete work. Executives are out of touch with the actual work going on at any given time.

"Loss of mission, vision and values is damaging those that matter most - the customers (external/internal)."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment with benefits (vacation time/insurance). Friendly, educated and helpful co-workers willing to help with tasks. Discount toward gym membership to improve employee fitness/wellness.

Cons

Major disconnect between employees and leadership. Lack of resources and staff to adequately serve the customers. Promotions, if they happen, are rare and typically occur at senior manager/executive level. Huge employee turnover throughout 2013.

Advice to Management

Lessons are repeated until they are learned...listen to your employees and implement improvements quickly.