Press Ganey Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineer

1.5
Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home (for some positions) (in 13 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance: Great company to work for with a good (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • slightly lower starting salary than I would have preferred but worth it for the work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

"Very satisfied with my experience at PG"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers
    Fun and challenging work - on a brand-new team, creating a brand-new product from the ground-up
    Big impact - we were a small team so the work I was involved with had big impact to the company.

Cons

I don't really have too many cons. After our successful delivery of the product I was working on, management moved us to a new project and kept changing focus. Finally, after floundering around for a bit, I was unhappy with the direction of the company and left.

Advice to Management

Focus - don't always go the way the wind is blowing.

"A great company goes down hill"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the rate people are leaving, they are likely to get desparate to hire replacements. There could be a good opportunity for someone who is looking at the end of 2013. There is still some level of accomodation of work/home balance but I am not sure that it will last. There is still the possibility that if the current senior management is replaced that Press Ganey could be a great company again. There are people who are being kept from doing that today.

Cons

The company is very short term focussed. This makes them do things that can have good immediate financial results but are likely to have fatal consequences in the future. The technical debt is enourmous and growing. Individuals do not matter in the company. It is clear that the management perception is that everyone is interchangable and easily replaced. The power structure is very buddy oriented, what was once called the old boys club (but with no gender discrimination at Press Ganey). Being the buddy of the next level up is far more important than competence. It appears that the company is in serious financial straights that has been well hidden from the financial analysts and investors. In the last two years, there has been one bonus paid (The CEO said that based on the financials it should not have been paid) and basically no raises even for exceptional performance according to the CEO.

Advice to Management

It is time to stop putting bandaids on fatal wounds. A vision for what the company wants to be is needed and needs to be sufficiently concrete that it can be realized. The greatest weakness of the senior management team is that there is little to no competence in the area of leadship. When the new senior management team came in, there was a grand vision which failed because the senior management did not know how to make the vision feel real and achievable. When it came down to actually planning a transition from the current state to the future state, the senior management could not develop the plans to make it achievable. Instead they assumed that they could start from absolute scratch and by some miracle, the company would arrive at that vision.

You need to bring some people with real leadership skills into the company to compensate for the lack of these skills at the senior management level. Promoting people who are bullies and who pontificate with obviously no knowledge about their topic will not hlep build confidence in the "leadeship" of the management.

"The company hacks have distorted the real picture of Press Ganey"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Boston Office has a lot of great people.

Cons

The current senior managment comes accross as clueless. They have exciting visions with no ablitiy to execute on them.

Advice to Management

Communicate a road map. It is hard to find a directoin to a great destination without a clue about where you are today and a plan to get from the current situation to an exciting future.