Prestige Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Ronald M. Lombardi

1. "Can't Do Enough"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syosset, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syosset, NY

I worked at Prestige Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic atmosphere, relaxed attire in workplace, some strong brands, they make money, nice building, for the most part - co-workers are fun to work with.

Cons

Work till you drop, you can never do enough. The more you do, the more that is expected. Raises stink. Some folks are very shortsighted.

Advice to Management

There is a long way to go to make this the "best place to work". Without shared goals and objectives, departments will always be at each others throats.

2. "No too good"

I worked at Prestige Brands full-time

Pros

great benefits, flexible, great location, paid vacations,

Cons

Bad communication, not good pay, owner is not very responsable

3. "Senior Brand Manager"

I worked at Prestige Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary range a bit higher than other companies to attract good employees, company consistently delivering numbers translates to big bonuses

Cons

Lean staffing, lack of mobility/succession planning

"Always changing"

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is very nice. The people are great to work with because they know how to research or pay for research. Good teambuilding, lots of meetings to get to know one another. You own 'it' here, the whole process, so if you want to see your project through from beginning to end, you'll do it here. Never a dull moment, always busy, even at nights and weekends. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

They say we are a small company, but as we are growing we are certainly seeing the down-side of getting bigger....more CYA, more pass the buck, and no communication. If you want to find something out, you have to go and seek the answers. You are expected to deliver, but its hard to do that when you have 1/2 the information and everyone hounding you at once because it's all about them. Hiring all these former Novartis people who are more about schmoozing- up than getting it done. Recognition program went out the door with former CEO.

Advice to Management

Stop dumping on the long-term employees. Make the newer employees get involved and be accountable earlier. Bring back the recognition programs. Less segregation of departments, you need all departments to run the company, not just sales and marketing. Equality is a morale booster.

"Great company if you like business ownership responsibilities and opportunities for professional growth"

Pros

There are many things I like about Prestige.
    1) Tremendous ownership of your businesses so you can make a real impact - since Prestige has a limited number of people, EVERYONE plays a big role in delivering results. You're definitely not a small cog in the company and you're empowered to be a leader at the company and make a difference.
    2) Professional growth and responsibility - if you have initiative/drive to learn, there are many opportunities to take on more responsibilities. If you're looking for things to be handed to you, that's not necessarily going to happen here. If you want to learn a new skillset, there are many business opportunities to do that given the diversity of brands and business models that we have here.
    3) Rewarded for results - Prestige isn't a very political place, so if you deliver results, you'll be rewarded. Some folks only like it when the results are good, but if you're ok with both ends of the spectrum, Prestige may be a good fit. I personally have been on both ends and I'm ok with it so I listed it as a PRO
    4) Fast-paced, variety - I'm in nearly constant motion dealing with different things everyday. I've worked at both small and large companies and the pace at Prestige is definitely faster than most. You need to be adaptive to change and feel comfortable with a culture that generally has a strong sense of urgency.
    5) Strong team-work focus - everyone is really helpful when if comes to getting your projects done. This is why trust and execution are some of the driving principles of the company

Cons

Some of the challenges of Prestige include...
    1) Rewarded for results - I listed it as a PRO, but some would consider this a CON as well. Since we're a small company, there isn't many places to hide if you're not able to deliver against your goals or getting the job done. Some companies are ok with you if you're days are filled with meetings and you're sending out a million emails a day. That's only OK at Prestige if you're delivering the goods.
    2) Resource limitations can be challenging - you have to be resourceful and adaptable in order to get everything done. There are times when you're just being pulled in too many directions given the size of Prestige. Again, this isn't an issue if you're really resourceful at getting information or things done, but Prestige isn't a place for people who don't work well when pushed out of their "problem-solving" comfort zone.

"Nimble small company with some challenges"

I worked at Prestige Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several perks come to mind:
    1) Since the company is small, you have more leverage to drive the company
    2) Also because its small, there's no set process so you can push forward projects you want to see come to life
    3) Interact with the CEO on a daily basis and make a name for yourself
    4) Nimble marketing and quick to drive out new innovation
    5) Multiple brands and categories so you're not stuck doing the same thing every day
    6) Pay structure is very good for the size of the company
    7) Great step up into higher role

Cons

1) Because the company is small, it's prone to office politics
    2) Also because of the size and people with their own agenda, it can get a little cutthroat
    3) Getting on the radar of the CEO is both a blessing and a curse; your work may become heavily scrutinized all of a sudden
    4) Quarterly sales meetings means you'll be scrambling every quarter to make those ends meet
    5) High turn over rate - Typical employee retention is around 1-2 years, especially at the lower end
    6) Depending on who you work for, your boss might not have your back when you need it
    7) It takes a certain type of person to enjoy this culture, can be both good or bad depending on your role

Advice to Management

Turnover is costly business and while its great to have people hit the ground running, it can make it seems like a "sink or swim" mentality. Burn out is high for this type of company and you need to figure out a way to balance workloads so that people aren't constantly scrambling.

"Productive and fun workplace with a great company culture!"

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is great to work for! It is important to leadership that you feel like you are also a leader and part of something that is GREAT.

The company's culture is amazing and provides employee's with a supportive environment that is fun and challenging.
    Management wants to help their teams succeed and provides ample resources to expand our knowledge.

The company is certainly growing. I have been with Prestige for 4+ years and have lived through 4 major acquisitions. I am always impressed by the commitment to growth and follow through. Our management team focuses on celebrating the present but have a forward-thinking approach to taking us to the next level. Goals are realistic! Leadership has done a great job of building a fun, competitive, hard-working culture where everyone has a voice and is empoweder to be a true leader. Perfect work/life balance with great attention to team building and professional growth.

Wondeful people who care, excellent business model and a place that recognizes and awards hard work and success.

Lucky to be part of a company that is thriving and focused on becoming a leader in the industry.

Cons

nothing to add in this section

Advice to Management

What you have been doing is clearly working! We feel it...we live it....we appreciate it.

"CPG company with Growth - professionally and size of business"

Current Employee - Brand Marketing in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Marketing in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Prestige Brands is accountable. People don't come here to punch a time clock, that also means greater than 40hr weeks sometimes. It's great to have everyone invested in the success of the business, from sales to operations.

Though the career progression follows traditional 'levels' as compared to other CPG companies, the required 'time at level' is different. Top performers are recognized and compensated. It's a great motivator to go above and beyond.

Prestige is growing leaps and bounds. 5 years ago it was less than half the size it is today. We acquire abandoned brands and breathe life into them. It's an exciting place to work, and not something you can say about many CPG companies.

Cons

Not so much a 'con', but just to set expectations: base salary compensation is probably not BETTER than big CPG companies. It's not worse, but it's not better. Bonus, however, generally is much better with the caveat that of course it will ultimately depend on company performance.

It is also very much an in-office environment: that's how we move quickly is being able to grab each other in the hallway and make decisions. I used to get Friday work-at-home days, so that was an adjustment. But I appreciate the culture for what it contributes to our speed and nimbleness.

"My Best Career Decision to Date!"

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prestige Brands is a company where you can truly impact change. Not only does an employee have the opportunitiy to drive business results, but he/she can help shape the culture at the company. Prior to Prestige, I spent my career working at large companies. I always worked with great people, but always felt I spent most of my time managing a process instead of a business. At Prestige Brands all employees focus on driving the business, not politics. Additionally, at my previous companies there was bureaucracy and "back-stabbing." At Prestige everyone enjoys working together and that is the main reason why we have been so successful.

The experience at Prestige has not only taught me how to effectively manage a business, but more importantly, has taught me how to be a better leader.

Cons

The only opportunity I see, is that our resources have not caught up with our growth. As a result, many employees have taken on additional responsibility. However, the organization is committed and continues to add both short and long term resources to help support our rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Keep focuing on driving home Leadership and Trust and the strong results will continue.

"Entrepreneurial but can be brutal"

Current Employee - Brand Management in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Management in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a small company with a fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture. There isn't much bureaucracy or process. The lack of process can admittedly be a positive or negative, depending upon your view. If you're entrepreneurial by nature then you generally enjoy finding your way from point a to b on your own based on your own experience. The culture at Prestige enables that. At prestige you have direct access to senior management. The CEO regularly wanders the office and chats with employees and it's not unusual to present to the CEO and upper management once or twice a week. The also company moved approximately 2 years ago to some nice, modern, open office space (though the building itself is slightly older.) The company has made several acquisitions within a 3 year time frame and continues to look for additional opportunities to expand.

Cons

The atmosphere can feel cut-throat / every-man-for-themselves. I am more used to environments where major differences are aligned outside meetings with senior management. Here that is not the norm. I've seen dirty laundry aired in what I considered inappropriate environments. It's not unusual for people to get thrown under the bus at Prestige and, as a result, employees have developed a CYA culture which can result in disputes that get aired in the public eye. With few exceptions, management does nothing to discourage this environment. With such a small management team, you have direct exposure to the bad eggs as well as the good.

The company is in acquisition / growth mode. However, dispite the CEO's insistence to the contrary, the company does not invest significantly in the brands it has (in terms of marketing spend and other resources including people). The environment is focused on extracting the most that it can from limited resources which includes its employees.

Advice to Management

Focus on problems and solutions not people and positions. Choose strategic growth brands and invest as if they truly were strategic growth brands.