Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) Reviews | Glassdoor

Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) CEO Scott Grimmett
Scott Grimmett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They have the least amount of full time workers as they can (in 29 reviews)

• Extremely high-stress job; mid-level management stress-load at a part time position (in 17 reviews)

1. "Deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors who take the time to listen to you

Cons

Work schedule is not consistant

2. "Part time Cake Decorator"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator

Pros

Relatively kind staff and management

Cons

Not enough hours to make ends meet on minimum wage, stressful, constantly swamped with Plan-O-Gram requirements and sales, other dept members show up late every day or drunk or call out constantly or don't finish their work and it's no big deal

Advice to Management

Don't expect me to put forth maximum effort for minimum wage at 20 hours/week. With a check of $180/week I can only afford rent and utilities, can't afford laundry more than once a month (I hand wash filthy frosting shirts daily) and all my food is under 50 cents per serving. Don't lie about how many hours I'm going to receive because you're desperate for a decorator.

3. "Cashier"

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, fun environment, provide a lot of hours

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

4. "Good for students, not a lot of room for growth."

Former Employee - Cashier/Deli/Food Court/Inventory/Grocery/Pharmacy in Oneida, NY

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working with my co-workers, and scheduling was very flexible around my school schedule when I was going to school. The better I worked the more hours I got. I was basically full time, many of the departments wanted me.

I've heard that working as a Pharmacist in their pharmacies is better then working in a CVS or similar pharmacy.

Cons

Not enough hours. The company expects way too much out of its departments for the number of hours they have available. Over the years the hours available decreased while the expectation and amount of production corporate expected from it's employees increased to a ridiculous amount.

Price Chopper has been slowly getting rid of its full time positions and expecting part-time individuals to take over management positions without increasing pay to a fair amount.

Advice to Management

Ditch Price Chopper, there are many other companies that are so much better to it's employees.

"High School"

Current Employee - Manager in Oxford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Oxford, CT

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made many friends. Pay is good, Health insurance is okay.

Cons

There are many cons for this company. I would not recommend working here. They have no respect for anyone, too much favoritism, its high school for adults (even if you're in the "popular" group for maybe a week then your just a pee on) They treat people with such harsh treatment, everyone is miserable, scared for their job security, stressed out all the time, and even more when the big wigs are in the area its even worse. I understand that it comes from above and works the way down in the chain of command, but the way the store managers come across to their Department heads is not professional. People are getting fired left and right, also getting written up more than ever. Not just for the important work duties but for missing an email, or the way the came across to certain people, or for coming back too early from lunch,even though there is a 7 minute lee way. I've worked in this company for many years, I loved what I did, I loved going in and doing my everyday duties, now that there has been drastic changes going on I and many others have lost their drive to continue to help the company. Many people know this One hand washes the other, with the Golub Corporation it is not true. They use and abuse their people. They play with peoples emotional health, their punches, pay stubs and vacation time, when you confront them about it they act like they don't know.

Advice to Management

My advice the the upper management is to retrain their store managers. Also to start learning to have respect for their workers. Even the Human Resources need work, many people have reached out to them and their complaints have never had gotten settled or addressed, the people who have went to HR have been fired or their hours have been cut to one 4 hour shift a week. You should go on to Undercover Boss and then you'll understand what is really going on within each store. If you do I would start where you have gotten the most negative complaints by employees.

6. "Good for a check not great to advance to other jobs in the company."

Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Vernon, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Vernon, CT

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) (More than a year)

Pros

Getting paid each week by direct deposit.

Cons

They need to have more opportunities for their employee's. Working until 10:00 p.m. there is the most boring job you can have. In Vernon they have 4 self serving registers but someone had to watch them and it was always me. They give you nothing else to do but that and when there is no customer's you can watch paint dry faster. The hours you get go up and down from week to week it's sick. One week I had 30 then another week 8 hours.

Advice to Management

When you have a cashier who has to watch the self check out machines give them something else to do when there is no customer's. I knew a lot about ticketing markdowns and putting new price stickers on merchandise but my know ledge was never used. I felt that I was never given a shot to truly be great at your company.

7. "Category Manager"

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) full-time

Pros

Physical work environment and building is great as there is a gym and gourmet cafeteria/restaurant within. Updated business analysis tools in place and company and they provide good working environment to accomplish tasks within a solid structure. Excellent benefits and performance evaluation processes.

Cons

Sometimes lack of resources in various areas causes a little more stress on certain departments, but no different than other competitive industries.

8. "Cashier"

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets (NY) part-time

Pros

Great place to work with flexible schedule

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

9. "cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Plattsburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Plattsburgh, NY

Pros

good with money and good with paper work

Cons

Not being heard for your opions

10. "Employees"

Current Employee - Clerk in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Clerk in New Haven, CT

Pros

Can be flexible with hours

Cons

They do not listen to their employees concerns or complaints.There is no room for moving up. They barely offer raises or more hours. Constantly cutting hours

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees when they say something as we are in the stores daily. Help wit the decrease in hours because the store manager wants their bonuses at the end of the year. Employees can barely survive with their paychecks because of the cut in hours and lack of pay.