Priceline.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Priceline.com Reviews

Updated June 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work life balance, I was surprised some reviewer(s) said they have to be online 24/7 because that's not the case for anyone on my team (in 23 reviews)

• Incredible resources, friendly people and an exciting/active work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of COO is driving upper management to lose focus on what happens to the customer dollars once they make it in the door (in 5 reviews)

• Very corporate, hard to move the needle on change (in 3 reviews)

"No promotions"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Priceline.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work atmosphere is the only pro

Cons

You won't get promoted. You won't get a raise. "Software Architects" have been working there for years and they think what they built in the 1990s is still a great thing.

Advice to Management

Promote employees and pay them better.

"It's only okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

Relatively relaxed work environment. Decent work-life balance. Strong brand; good company to have on your resume.

Cons

The engineering culture is strongly lacking. The company's very risk averse when it comes to technology ders on monoculture; it's basically stuck using the same old frameworks for everything across all its products.

There's been a recent mass exodus of employees from the grunt level up to the CEO level with little indication that we're going to replace those individuals despite what management has been saying.

Total compensation is below market rate. The road to career growth within the company (read: promotions) necessitates sycophantic behaviour wherein the same squeaky wheels compete to shout over each other. Gross.

"Awesome for fresh candidates. Not so for experienced."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Priceline.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot to learn from. Technologists get to work on industry leading products and software. Employees are pushed to their limits.

Cons

Not all teams are fun to work with. Not much career development in certain departments. Certain people are not very welcoming.

Advice to Management

Pay and recognize better to retain employees.

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Tons of opportunity if you go look for it, has a very strong community feeling

Cons

Not enough time to get all the work done that is needed. Runs extremely leanly

Advice to Management

Hire some top talent in senior positions to supercharge skills in some of the newer employyes

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teams at priceline are amazing to work with. I am a huge fan of the New York office. It is the feel of a startup company, but with the foundational support of a well established company. It is the best of both worlds.

Cons

I personally have not come across anything I am dissatisfied with at Priceline.com. I believe for the New York area the compensation could be a little more, but I suppose you could say that about any place.

"ok for recent graduates"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Priceline.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits (generous time-off, bonus, stock options if you are a senior manager and up)

Cons

no way to advance your career
    a lot of politics
    lack of training
    not promoting from within

Advice to Management

employees should be rewarded more based by their performances and contributions to the company and less on personal preferences

"Once great company on downhill side of success"

Current Employee - Marketing in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Norwalk, CT

Pros

Offices are open plan, cool looking space especially Norwalk. People respect the brand when you say you work here. Some managers offer flex time or remote options. Work can be interesting depending on team.

Cons

Many VP level managers have out dated or very poor information of market and technology and general culture, especially in Marketing, where you would expect hip, knowledgable, young people, but here no, the opposite. You see great innovative people allowed to quit wo/ counter offer and many top talent laid off month after month, makes a oppressive atmosphere. No one explains why the lay offs or who new employees are, or what they do.
    Terrible inner office communication. Not great pay.

Advice to Management

Stop eliminating the best talent because they cost more of at least explain to we remaining staff why our prominent innovators just vanish. Pay more reasonable base salary. Eliminate cruel and ignorant VPs who treat staff like pests replace them with people with real management skills. End culture of bullying that exists in some departments.

8. "Great place for flex hours. Hard to move up into leadership positions."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn many skill sets. Great for engineers with 1-10 years of experience. Company is a very family friendly culture. Flex hours and not alot of overtime expected. Compassionate managers.

Cons

Hard to introduce new technologies into the products. Its difficult in IT to move up the management ranks. Not lots of opportunity for mid-level employees to move around organization.

"I've really enjoyed working here for the last decade, and I have learned a LOT."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have never had a lack of new technology to learn. We scale like a large company, but a lean staff means that you have to keep on your toes. We were too comfortable for a few years, but the new ceo is changing the work culture. We have stronger internal processes, and are getting back more of a startup feel. Benefits are great, with fun activities. A small staff means moving up is very hard.

Cons

We tend to be "bottom up" driven, which has its advantages, but can be tiring.

Advice to Management

Department staffing is uneven, with some too lean compared to others. We also need even more focus, and employees that resist change are a roadblock.

"Consider your options"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Priceline.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The name looks great on your resume, restricted stock scheme.

Cons

Terrible work - life balance. Pay is not competitive. Horrible communication between departments. Almost no investment on employee development. Very low glass ceiling. Extreme pressure to deliver high results. Understaffing.