Priceline.com Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Priceline.com Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Oct 22, 2019

2.9
Priceline.com CEO Brett Keller (no image)
Brett Keller

"Apply for your next job at Priceline !!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

My experience working at Priceline has been nothing but positive. As a new hire, everyone has been welcoming. Collaboration across technology teams is encouraged and always welcomed, which contributes to the positive culture. Work/life balance is great. The flexibility to work from home when needed is a huge plus that other companies I worked for did not really allow. Product managers and team leads genuinely care... about your well-being and stress levels, and make an effort to ensure things are going well. Engineers are encouraged to attend tech talks and conferences to further our knowledge and to remain relevant and up-to-date in the industry. The CEO and other members of the leadership team are open to, and provide many opportunities for us to share ideas and thoughts on how things are going. Mobility within the company is also encouraged. Our managers and higher ups want us to be learning every day and to have fun while also making a meaningful impact. Bonus: snacks are a plus and are always stocked :D

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Priceline.com2019-09-11

"No technical growth And Too much politics inside company which reflects on young developers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Priceline.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing except that you get good amount of time to study for your dream job

Cons

Too much politics no encouragement towards tech development pays less compared to that of other companies

Priceline.com2019-10-22

"No Innovation"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good if you are looking for a relaxing job

Cons

If you are innovative, there will be 100 human road blocks along your path, Sooner or later you will stop thinking ideas and just follow their rules, to keep your job, and basically just do 1+2 = 3, everyday, or sometimes 10* 15 = 150

Advice to Management

Hire better leaders

Priceline.com2019-09-20
  4. "Good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company and friendly people.

Cons

No snacks in Connecticut office.

Priceline.com2019-07-31

"It’s all going to change... maybe?"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Priceline.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have the honor of working with great talent. Very nice people and good managers

Cons

They all left. That tells you something...from to to the bottom. I don’t know what it will take for leadership to realize we are at a point of not being able to retain any valuable talent... in most of the teams that I work with. It’s sad.

Advice to Management

Cleanse out the toxic leadership and start recognizing valuable employees and give them the confidence to stay! They deserve to be treated better! Much much better!

Priceline.com2019-06-17

"Good place to work. Needs to recognize talent more."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company benefits. Great new CTO and CEO who you want to believe in. Talent across all teams. Snacks refilled constantly. Great industry experience.

Cons

An underlying sense of fear the salaries will go down significantly with a new office in Mumbai. Makes your job security seem meaningless when someone can take your job for a fraction of the price. Way too product focused and technical debt builds on from it.

Priceline.com2019-06-06

"Neutral place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great challenges coming up with the CLOUD transformation happening. The business is complex and requires a lot of good engineering to get it right. Work life balance can be achieved if you don't deal with micro managers like I do.

Cons

The lack of a development plan. Most principal engineers are not even seniors. Hiring process is not on par with daily tasks. No communication between teams. Some engineers will do whatever they want to do just because their manager is extremely weak. Low budget company - everything is a struggle - even snacks are a problem.

Priceline.com2018-09-18

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Priceline.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Decent pay Relatively easy work

Cons

I wouldn’t recommend Priceline if you’re either: 1) Someone focused on leveling up and becoming a better engineer via learning modern practices. Despite the scale the company operates at, you won’t grow here. Hacky and bad code is more than acceptable here as long as it gets the job done. 2) Someone who values collaboration and a supportive culture. Soft skills are not valued at Priceline, you’ll see engineers get... promoted who are relatively good at what they do but have zero soft skills and as such make terrible people to work with. Management is well aware of these deficiencies and yet does nothing to improve these people or promote better people. Its also hard to get help from teammates if you are struggling, there’s a strong lone wolf culture. If you’re a decent engineer and are looking for a 9-5 where you won’t be bothered too much Priceline is fine, just don’t go there to be inspired by your coworkers, the culture or the mission.

Advice to Management

Look for the right things when hiring and promoting people, culture a more supportive culture that focuses on professional growth

Priceline.com2018-09-03

"when the CEO asks people to put good reviews on glassdoor...."

Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Priceline.com for more than a year

Pros

I have the privilege to work with some of the smartest people in different teams. Good benefits, but below industry average. Learned a lot

Cons

I have to do everything myself without getting support. Talented people are leaving at a faster pace I have ever witnessed....very sad. I don't think the senior management cares at this point of people leaving. Nepotism. Played from the top level down.

Advice to Management

I don't think they would listen, but..... It's a big change from the time I started till the time I end...Things have changed. I went from motivated to frustrated. At first I just thought I would work with great talent, and learn different cool tech, but it got out of control fast. Our hard work is not recognized. As a result, people are leaving at a rate the fastest the company has ever seen. I can't speak... too much about other departments, but in Tech, things are getting out of control. I don't expect the CTO to know everything about tech, but when he struggles with making basic senses of our vision for development, strategy, or even optimization of our infrastructure, I lost faith after constantly being disappointed. There are projects that lasted more than 2 years that don't even have an adoption rate of more than 5%, and they are STILL debating the fundamental technology architecture. My job involves working with different teams, and the lack of communications or willingness to cooperate is shocking. I don't imagine people to participate everything with priorities of their own, but as a result, I have seen the most amount of technical debt in my whole career life. It's exhausting, having to constantly fight for what I believe is right. The senior management almost never provides any help after I pledge to them time after time. After seeing people who stood their ground sharing their thoughts being fired one after another, I chose to keep quiet. Look at the staff you have left, they are 80% of people who have been with the firm more than 10 years, and unwilling to adopt new technologies or refuse to listen to new ideas. After 5 re-organizations in the past 2 years, most of the vital and talented people left, leaving people who don't have working ethics, who bully their employees, and who refuses to listen in charge. It's a big problem for my mental wellness. I tried to care, but in the end, I don't want to beat the dead horse. Good luck.

Priceline.com2018-06-13
  10. "Awesome People and Hell lots of opportunities to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning is the key here Latest tech stack Competitive Salary Good People Good Work Life Balance Great group overall Good Leadership

Cons

Needs to be more innovative Needs to go global Less staff for the amount of work we have Hire right

Priceline.com2017-09-15