Priceline.com "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Priceline.com Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

3.6
Priceline.com CEO Brett Keller (no image)
Brett Keller
Pros
  • "Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long(in 37 reviews)

• "My experience working at Priceline has been nothing but positive(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Priceline has a long way to go to return to its glory days(in 12 reviews)

• "Unless you are in the good graces with the upper management, your voice is not heard(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Apply for your next job at Priceline !!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

My experience working at Priceline has been nothing but positive. As a new hire, everyone has been welcoming. Collaboration across technology teams is encouraged and always welcomed, which contributes to the positive culture. Work/life balance is great. The flexibility to work from home when needed is a huge plus that other companies I worked for did not really allow. Product managers and team leads genuinely care... about your well-being and stress levels, and make an effort to ensure things are going well. Engineers are encouraged to attend tech talks and conferences to further our knowledge and to remain relevant and up-to-date in the industry. The CEO and other members of the leadership team are open to, and provide many opportunities for us to share ideas and thoughts on how things are going. Mobility within the company is also encouraged. Our managers and higher ups want us to be learning every day and to have fun while also making a meaningful impact. Bonus: snacks are a plus and are always stocked :D

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Priceline.com2019-09-11

"Good workplace, but the place needs some work"

I have been working at Priceline.com

Pros

Mostly great people, fun events, challenging work. The transparency from leadership is refreshing, and constructive criticism is encouraged at all levels. Company culture is important.

Cons

Lack of communication between product and marketing teams. This creates a feeling that we are not all working as a team, but all have different agendas and compete against each other. Way too many meetings, and meetings that last too long. Much like I pointed out above, communication is essential whether it be between different teams within the same department or different departments, but there is a point in... which the amount of time spent in meetings can be detrimental to workload, work-life balance, and morale. The Design Team is in shambles which is most likely a temporary status, but they seem to be overwhelmed even when fully staffed and without a stable process in place in terms of working with different teams. We seem to be taking on too many new projects before perfecting old ones.

Advice to Management

Unite product and marketing departments. How can the goal of collaboration between the different entities under the Booking umbrella be achieved if it can’t even be achieved on an internal basis? CUT DOWN MEETINGS. Communication is key, especially when trying to get different departments on the same page, but sometimes it’s not necessary to pull everyone away from their daily tasks for an hour a week or a few hours... each quarter just to have a catch up. Help the Design Team. Fully staff this team, and create SLAs between a fully staffed design team and other teams that utilize the Design Team on a regular basis. Finish what you start. International expansion is excellent and necessary, but let’s perfect what we have been working on first so we can bring that knowledge with us into the international space

Priceline.com2019-07-02

"Once a powerhouse, now in the basement"

Former Employee - Product in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Priceline.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice office space, fair work-life balance, pretty good benefits, making strides to right the ship.

Cons

Priceline has a long way to go to return to its glory days. What once used to be the innovative and disruptive brand in travel is now just another option on the long list of ways to book travel. The company has seen massive turnover at all levels of the organization, many due to poor management and leadership. If you are a "favorite" of the CEO (and by "favorite" I mean someone who has the same "beliefs" as him),... you have a decent chance at career advancement. Other than that, you're just a number.

Advice to Management

My advice to Booking Holdings Management: Time to clean house at the top. Or speed up the plans everyone knows exist: Fold into Booking.com and be done with it.

Priceline.com2019-07-22
  4. "Lean & Agile working environment"

I worked at Priceline.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced environment with frequent iterations of new tech/product launches. Great benefits and social events.

Cons

Work/life balance can be at conflict.

Priceline.com2019-06-17
  5. "Former employee"

I worked at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

People are really nice and care about your career development; startup culture in NY office

Cons

Culture between teams can be very different; work/life balance can be poor at times when things have to get done

Priceline.com2019-01-11
  6. "Marketing Data Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

First, the people! Supportive and engaging team culture - a true delight to come to work every day and collaborate across teams. I have never worked with such a diverse group of bright, funny people before. Second, the business culture! Decision-making includes a blend of creativity and strategic business frameworks that never make me feel like we're pursuing one to the detriment of the other. Work - life balance... has never been an issue. Individuals take ownership for their projects and are motivated to drive results, so there is a positive pressure to be innovative but to deliver in a timely fashion so that everyone is able to cross the line on time. Third, the benefits! Great time off and health plan.

Cons

The location is far away from downtown NYC, which limits the pool of highly technical applicants a bit.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on people, culture and customers!

Priceline.com2018-10-29

"Neutral place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great challenges coming up with the CLOUD transformation happening. The business is complex and requires a lot of good engineering to get it right. Work life balance can be achieved if you don't deal with micro managers like I do.

Cons

The lack of a development plan. Most principal engineers are not even seniors. Hiring process is not on par with daily tasks. No communication between teams. Some engineers will do whatever they want to do just because their manager is extremely weak. Low budget company - everything is a struggle - even snacks are a problem.

Priceline.com2018-09-18

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Priceline.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Decent pay Relatively easy work

Cons

I wouldn’t recommend Priceline if you’re either: 1) Someone focused on leveling up and becoming a better engineer via learning modern practices. Despite the scale the company operates at, you won’t grow here. Hacky and bad code is more than acceptable here as long as it gets the job done. 2) Someone who values collaboration and a supportive culture. Soft skills are not valued at Priceline, you’ll see engineers get... promoted who are relatively good at what they do but have zero soft skills and as such make terrible people to work with. Management is well aware of these deficiencies and yet does nothing to improve these people or promote better people. Its also hard to get help from teammates if you are struggling, there’s a strong lone wolf culture. If you’re a decent engineer and are looking for a 9-5 where you won’t be bothered too much Priceline is fine, just don’t go there to be inspired by your coworkers, the culture or the mission.

Advice to Management

Look for the right things when hiring and promoting people, culture a more supportive culture that focuses on professional growth

Priceline.com2018-09-03

"A Company with Purpose"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Priceline is a place where you have the opportunity to become the professional you want to be. The company is highly supportive of initiative and brainstorming. The work/life balance is important as management understands that people have lives and things happen - in return, employees are expected to increase productivity and effort when times demand it. Dress code, attitude and protocol are part of a relaxed... workplace while still expecting the best of everyone. The office is an open door and floor plan environment where everyone is encouraged to collaborate, idea share, and think across teams, all in the spirit of being the best travel deal makers. Period. Leadership is just as much a part of the open office and invites everyone to chat at any time with whatever the thought. I have been with the company for nearly 15 years. I have seen veterans stay and newbies come and go. The company is what you make it and has a good reputation of rewarding those who stay. Personally, I have needed the support of flexible work days, and I know that my demonstrated dedication has earned me that privilege. People looking for a place to have a long term career should consider Priceline. There are always opening for new positions in many departments.

Cons

In recent years, we lost a noticeable number of veterans when upper leadership changed, changing the goals and priorities of some of the departments. Things are just starting to settle back to calm, but the change is still noticeable. We all recognize that change has good intentions, but it must be paced and accepted by those who will be physically enacting the differences. Some employees were terminated, and... some left out of frustration.

Advice to Management

While the stock benefits and bonuses can be generous when the company is doing well, pay raises have barely kept up with cost of living increases, which in the end is not a raise. Employees need to feel valued both by not only internal praise, but with real economic and job promotion compensation.

Priceline.com2018-07-29

"Change is hard, but headed in the right direction"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

- Working at a smaller company allows me to have more impact and less bureaucracy - Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long. For the most part, people actually go home at a reasonable hour - Benefits are terrific

Cons

- In year two of reinventing our business which is draining. We are on a good path, but driving change throughout the organization is difficult and hard to get everyone on the same page

Priceline.com2018-05-14