Pridgeon & Clay Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Earl Clay

Pros
  • They still have pretty good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits and they pay their employees every week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • s and Upper Management with limited resources to implement and produce results (in 4 reviews)

• Can't hire enough people and can't keep them (in 2 reviews)

"Good Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (especially tuition reimbursement), teamwork environment, lots of room for advancement to people who want to

Cons

Reactive sometimes and there is some understaffing

Advice to Management

Get employees, including leadership, the training that they need to grow and to listen to employees when they are the experts on the things that you are looking to change (presses, machines, etc.).

2. "APO"

Former Employee - APO in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - APO in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Pridgeon & Clay (More than a year)

Pros

They offer great health insurance

Cons

Low pay, long hours, want you to work 7 days a week with no pay incentive for sundays

Advice to Management

No advice would make a difference

3. "Low employee appreciation with smoke and mirror policies."

Current Employee - hilo driver in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - hilo driver in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady employment and good insurance.

Cons

Management says one thing and does another. No set evaluation procedure. Told we were to get an evaluation in 90 days, took a year. After a year I receive an increase finally . when I received my in crease I was then informed by HR that the company was starting a new policy of issuing pay increases once a year and I wouldn't be getting my raise for approximately 5 to 6 months. No advance notice to employees of policy change. Lots of forced overtime no choice but to give up your weekends. Turn over is out of control.

Advice to Management

So more understanding and appreciation for your employees on the floor that make our product and the money that makes P&C a profitable company.

5. "Training"

I have been working at Pridgeon & Clay full-time

Pros

It's an exciting time to be part of the P&C team. P&C is full of opportunities! Benefits are the best I've ever heard of. If you like to make an impact, use creativity, be part of an amazing team, see positive changes and grow- this is the place for you!

Cons

Being patient with change. Changing culture takes time... however, it's exciting to see this change happening!

6. "Consider yourself warned"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of what these other reviews are pointing out...good benefits, decent pay (if you're getting a raise when you should) and the Clays are good people.

Cons

The management here sucks. Seriously. They keep adding all sorts of "Vice Presidents" (just got another all-company email announcing a new one today) but we're woefully understaffed in any area that matters (for instance, with people who actually make the parts...or as others have shared, the "grunts".) Spazzy, vindictive, immature management here (the President is building up a leadership team of out-of-touch cronies...and says we're investing in new machinery, but really we're just investing in nicer/newer/more-impressive offices for the execs.) Whomever kisses but the most gets promoted, and those who question the direction of the company get shown the door.

Advice to Management

Lead people. Provide an example people want to follow. Come visit those of us who make the parts, repair the machines, or ship out the product some time...we're the people who are making the profit and keeping this place going (not more Directors and VPs.)

"Bring back the Clays"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This place used to be really great. The Clay family got to know people and showed they cared about them.

Cons

Current management only cares about themselves. We can't get enough people to work in our tool room or on our machines, can't hire enough people to run presses, can't get reviews or raises or know whats going on, can't get clear answers, and can't keep a single direction for more than a couple months.

Advice to Management

Quit doing everything to make your reports look good or to suck up to new VPs. And hire managers that have a clue what theyre doing. These reviews say Robert Clay is the CEO, but he hasn't been for a while now. The new CEO cares most about himself not the employees.

8. "Run away from this place!"

Current Employee - APO in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - APO in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They still have pretty good benefits

Cons

Chaos. Can't hire enough people and can't keep them. It's a revolving door around here. I've had more team leaders and production managers than I can remember, and our APOs are litterly walking out the door. Managers are more concerned with covering their own butts then caring abotu employees.

Advice to Management

Let Bob or Kevin Clay lead this place. They at least cared about employees. Now, the only time we see leadership around here is on plant walk-threws and there looking for people to writeup. We don't have money to fix our machines or hire enough people to run presses but we have money to keep fixing up offices on Mohogony Row?

"Good Benefits, at an enormous price"

Former Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Many opportunities, Decent Pay

Cons

Very high hours, no raises, rude coworkers, inaccurate job descriptions, way more business than they can handle

Advice to Management

Stop lying about what a position entails, stop working people 60+ hours a week for 7-8 months at a time, give people raises (benefits are not a raise). Stop taking new business if you can't handle it

"Overall disappointment from start to finish - Do Not Bother!"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Pridgeon & Clay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have the best benefits package across the state and their salaries are competitive

Cons

After the initial interview it was a smoke a mirror show. Most of the "systems and support groups" that were inquired are relatively non-existent. They are horribly understaffed and the turnover rate is astounding. The term "revolving door" is an understatement. The structure of the company is top heavy tearing to a generous amount of V.P.s and Upper Management with limited resources to implement and produce results. Training is meek with a majority of people in positions they are not qualified for and most managers are yes men with no long term plan. To say that they have a long term plan would be an utter fabrication as forward thinking is not in their playbook. Reaction over prevention is a common mantra among the various Business Units. Investment is nil and most all of the equipment is antiquated and poorly maintained. Not for lack of trying in part of the maintenance crews, but a majority of the people on their crew have limited knowledge and even less time (understaffed being a major issue here as well). Their systems are convoluted and home grown leaving limited resources for modification and even less for integration with more current solutions that may be desired. Overall moral is low and managerial practices do nothing to improve the current situation, if not, they impede any step in the appropriate direction. Finally, I would like to make a general statement to any person considering joining their work force. Beware, a majority of the people running the show fail to adhere to general business ethics and practices. Lies, deceit, and short term plans are a commonality and most personnel will "metaphorically" stab you in the back when presented with an opportunity should there be personal gain to be had.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people and not your staff meetings. Your problem resolution system is overly cumbersome and time consuming. Your people are ill taught and under-qualified. Be weary of the answers you receive in your business review meetings as they are mostly just what you want to hear rather than the truth.

P.S. When an employee gives a two week notice, terminating them a few hours later is both petty and frowned upon from a general business ethics stand point. As you did this to me, when I was going out of my way to provide adequate time to assist with a transition of projects, training, and any other needs prior to departure, I can say with full confidence that should you continue down the path you are sowing you will most definitely reap what you deserve. Failure.

11. "machine operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Wyoming, MI

I worked at Pridgeon & Clay (More than a year)

Pros

good place to work good pay

Cons

lots of hours 12 hour shifts 7 days a week