Primerica Financial Services Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Financial Services Representative

4.6
Glen Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent training, unlimited income potential (in 50 reviews)

• Started part-time as a teacher / coach (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • This is not a job but rather a pushy multi-level marketing scheme (in 19 reviews)

• Commission-based only as a start (in 41 reviews)

"Challenging, But Very Rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Primerica part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Earnings based on performance, advancement opportunities based on performance, flexible schedule for entry and strong professional development and support all designed to insure your success.

Cons

Commission sales, but best compensation in the industry

2. "Financial Services agent"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Primerica part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment paid training get you off to a great start lasting friendships and dedicated management opportunity to grow

Cons

Need more locations
    Could use more training skills

Advice to Management

Make sure your trainers know how to train and can be fully committed to one person until they are ready to go on their own

3. "Distribution of financial services"

Former Contractor - Financial Services Representative in Laredo, TX
    Former Contractor - Financial Services Representative in Laredo, TX

I worked at Primerica as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, no territory restrictions, competitive pay and compensation plan, leadership role is key. Company pays for your licensing.

Cons

Turnover rate of agents, must be fully licensed to make income ,must be able to face your fears. One must renew and pay licensing fees.

Advice to Management

Keep the growth of company going

4. "Good Place to learn Life Insurance and basic Investmentsif you find the right fit"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Primerica (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture was good is a PRO

Cons

Structure was poor is a CON

Advice to Management

none

5. "Great, Educational, and Powerful"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative/Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative/Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Primerica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very helpful. It's a team effort. It tests your 'hustle' skills such as communication, drive...etc. It helps build the areas you are mostly weak in.

Cons

You have to be strong minded and willing to handle working with them. You have to be dedicated and want more. Stay focus and build your skills and be willing to learn.

6. "Representative"

Current Freelancer - Financial Service Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Freelancer - Financial Service Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Primerica (Less than a year)

Pros

Primerica is great for people who are very out going and are good at making selling point. And for people who know a lot of people. Your client base starts with the people you know so knowing people is a big plus.

Cons

If your aren't someone who knows a lot of people or if you aren't into creating relationships with new people you may come across you will have a difficult time building your business.

"Not the best"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in North Chicago, IL

Pros

Reps always did what was write by their clients, although thought products were still expensive

Cons

There is more money in recruiting rather than helping clients

Advice to Management

Not put pay structure based on recruiting

"Not Worth Your Time"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative

Pros

Overall, the energy levels and vibes are good, and people seem genuinely engaged in the office, and the company seems to be quite ethical.

Cons

Where to begin... With the constant sales-pitchy nature of every meeting, with the lack of real and meaningful financial industry training, with the truth that the company is not really focused on providing financial services to clients, but rather with recruiting new tem members in order to get overrides? I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the monotony. The bottom line is that Primerica is a MLM (multi-level-marketing) operation, hiding behind a vulgar farce of a financial company. From the mouth of my own upline (the recruiter who brought me in), "We don't get our financial licenses in order to sell products and services - we get them so we can get paid override commissions"... That should tell you all you need to know about the company.

They claim to be generating more 6-figure income earners than any other company in the US, but if you go to an office, you'll see a parking lot filled with old Saturns, Hondas, Fords, and Toyotas... There's nothing wrong with those brands, but if you're making 6 figures, I think you can afford to upgrade your vehicle a bit. The offices are similarly shabby, being little more than industrial park space with printed "inspirational" posters on the walls. Again, if this company generates as much income as it claims, 1) why are offices hidden in remote locations, and 2) why are there no trappings of success to be found inside? Additionally, what kind of company REQUIRES their management team to divest themselves of any and all businesses that they own, once they reach RVP (Regional Vice President - simply a title with additional commission added)? My upline has owned a jewelry store - hardly a business that would be considered competition - for decades, and after 20 years with Primerica, he's being forced to sell it in order to reach the next level in the company. Personally, I feel this is an underhanded practice, designed to create codependence. Any other financial institution would have zero problem with a member of management owning a business, as long as it didn't exist in the same arena (eg. financial services).

My honest suggestion is that this company is not one that you should want to work at unless you're under the age of 25, and looking to get your financial licenses on the cheap. Sure, the office environment is interactive, engaging, and positive, but those things are all wrapped inside an ongoing sales pitch, designed to continuously sell you on the "opportunity" that Primerica offers. A few weeks ago, a broker from Franklin Templeton came to our office and gave a presentation. He was dressed nicely and drove a nice car (Mercedes S-Class I believe), but I felt compelled to ask him a question... I asked, "How can I come work for you?". He asked me why I'd wouldn't want to continue with Primerica, and I responded, "For the same reason YOU don't work here". He simply gave me a knowing smile, slipped me his business card, and I thanked him for his time. I have an interview with him next week.

"Awesome oppurtunity!"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in West Lawn, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in West Lawn, PA

Pros

Flexible. 500-1,000 a month on 10 hours of work. Own your own business! Help ppl invest for their future

Cons

Takes time! Be patient! Whole life policies stink! A rip off! Steal your hard earned money!

"Financial Rep"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative

Pros

Team oriented environment
    Flexibility
    Ability to make as much money as you'd like
    Depending on the team you are assigned to you may received a lot of encouragement and help in the first few months but if you arent making any sales right away you may begin to realise that your team doesnt provide the kind of support and training you need
    top rated company
    established and reputable
    ability to become licensed to sell life insurance and investments. you need to take exams . for life, if yopass the company will reimburse you. i am not sure if you'd be reimbursed if you pass your securities exams but you may have to study for and pass 2 or 3. to sell term life and investments.

Cons

limited products to sell. eg. you can only sell term life insurance and you are a captive agent. you cannot sell another company's products.
    Teams dont provide adequate support
    100% commission
    if you dont have a wide network you are more likely to fail or face serious challenges to actually start making money.
    during training you cannot "sell" insurances you would be encouraged to allow your upline to help you reach out to people but the sell will awarded to your upline not you even though you may have done all the leg work to actually find the leads. i would suggest waiting until you are licensed before you share your leads.
    training is very limited and a lot of emphasis is placed on attending classes and events.
    you pay 99.00 to sign up. an additional 25 per month to use the website and other resources

Advice to Management

ensure that upline actually introduce themselves to newbies and actually meet with them to share information on how to succeed in the business.
    provide adequate training. you actually have people signing people up to become FSRs and havent even discussed objectives or tragets with the newbie.
    encourage greater hand holding. some leaders actually provide no training and expect newbies to train themselves using the resources on the wesite. that isnt enough.
    upline should be more transparent about the business especially the challenges regarding generating leads when you may not have a large network of people to approach
    encourage upline to show interest in everyone not just people who bring a book of business with them.