Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) Reviews in Lanham, MD | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Educator"

Current Employee - Educator in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Educator in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Prince George's County Public School System provides opportunity for upward/lateral mobility in the workforce.

Cons

Dual work relate responsibility with little support.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Paraprofessional Educator"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional/Educator in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional/Educator in Lanham, MD

Pros

Work in the computer lab I come in contact with all children from K-5 grade level that have or potentially have behavior problems.

Cons

There is a need to address potential behaviors that can not be openly addressed in a computer lab setting.

Advice to Management

There is a need for resources and direct attention to be provided for those students with FBP's & BIP's to get one-on-one attention from administration in a setting where to rules a applicable to all students to work independently.

3. "I enjoyed working with this employer as a teacher and seeing the progress of my students"

Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Lanham, MD

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience working with people who are team players. I liked how the District supported their teachers with professional development workshops and training for the core curriculum.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I really enjoyed working for this employer.

Advice to Management

none

5. "Good, but not great"

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- PGCPS invests a lot of money into Educational Technology. Teachers have county issued laptops and LCD projectors. Students and teachers have Google accounts. PGCPS is as prepared as they can be for online PARCC testing!

- Competitive pay (I have been teaching there for 9 years, and make over $57,000). Could be better, but not bad considering where the economy sits presently.

- PGCPS relies on their good teachers to share what they know with colleagues. It helps a lot to attend a presentation led by someone who has been in the classroom recently as opposed to someone 10+ years removed from the classroom.

Cons

- Aside from technology, other resources such as books are not readily available for students. Students often have to share resources.

- There seems to be a disconnect with what is expected with regards to Math. Tests put out by the math department do not always align with what we teach.

- The evaluation process for teachers is much improved, but at times seems a little strict. It is nice to have high expectations, but setting the bar too high demoralizes the employees.

Advice to Management

- Take a look at softening up teacher evaluations. I understand that higher-ups want to weed out unqualified teachers, but don't take it too far to the extreme.

- Proofread assessments before sending them to schools! Typos and questions not aligned with what we teach happen too often...

6. "Nice working environment with a lot of career opportunities"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the collaborative nature of some staff helps make the job enjoyeable

Cons

some staff do not fully fulfill job description pushing the work to the hard working ones