Princess Cruise Lines Photographer Reviews | Glassdoor

Princess Cruise Lines President Jan Swartz
Jan Swartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Working long hours without a whole day off" (in 37 reviews)

• "Low Pay (lowest in the cruise industry for IT Professionals)" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Senior Photographer in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Photographer in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

travel the world, shoot portraits

Cons

dress up in costumes in the sun, long work hours

Advice to Management

take care of your staff

2. "Hard work but worthwhile if you spend the extra time to learn and grow in your role, don't waste it all in the crew bar."

Current Contractor - Photographer Grade I in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Photographer Grade I in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling to new ports everyday, making friends and having some great get togethers. There is lots of opportunity to build a strong portfolio in your spare time with access to pro gear.

Cons

Long Hours are part of the job but it's fun and you will grow under pressure. Rejection is high from customers, so resilience is key, and plus it's one step closer to a yes.

Advice to Management

Better development and supervision of developing staff by photo managers

"Great for travelling but not for long term career."

Former Employee - Photographer in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Santa Clarita, CA

Pros

The greatest experience is travelling and meeting great people, but don't expect much of the former in Photo department. Overall, ship life has great advantages but be very careful when choosing the position.

Cons

Short breaks... And by this I mean the longest break that should, by maritime laws, be at least 7hr. This means that according to your schedule, you finish at 11pm and start tomorrow at 6 or 7am. Which, technically is fine, but you will be closing the gallery and cleaning machines until almost midnight, after that you will go eat. Then next morning is probably gangway shooting, so you need to be ready at least half an hour-hour before, and you need to eat huge breakfast since it's going to be until noon, possibly standing under bright, scorching sun - don't do that on empty stomach. Don't forget that you also need/want to socialize so you might drop off to Crew Bar after work. Sometimes, weeks would go without getting more than 4 hrs of sleep. When passengers come complaining how tired they are after shore excursions, all I'm thinking of is, son, you'll never know this level of exhaustion.
    Then there's the management. I only had one amazing manager in my entire time there. He made us worked hard but he valued are efforts. Others... oh boy.
    Basically, the ship life is great, but I don't think I made wise decision choosing this department. Other departments think we're having it easy. In fact, you're facing a lot of bad management, retaliation from management (that is not according to Princess rules and core values), gossiping and lots of back stabbing within team, lot of photo superiors lack technical knowledge of photography and don't even get me started on lack of quality of photos we're producing. A lot of pressure to sell more which is at times unrealistic, especially when you have cruises with elite passengers or not-so-rich ones, which, considering target audience is middle class is pretty much majority.

Advice to Management

I know you guys are under even greater pressure so I don't blame you. Some of you were amazing leaders which I still respect. The rest of you forgot that your employees are humans too.

4. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Travel around the world
    Get excursions for free
    Save money, if you don´t spend all in shopping or bar bill.

Cons

Pyramid Organization Structure
    Long working hours
    Pressure to achieve the sales target

Advice to Management

Consider one contract is six months without day off so you should give more hours rest. A happy team can achieve more targets.

5. "Good experience to have but I wouldn't want to stay longer."

Former Employee - Photographer in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Photographer in Anchorage, AK

Pros

I would say that if you have the opportunity and you're early on your carrier path, give it a try. I took it as a summer job and had a lot of fun. You will see some of the world and you will meet interesting people. Depending on your schedule you might spend most of the time onboard though ;) If you're looking to save money it's more than possible given that you don't have to worry about food and accomodation.

Cons

Be prepared to spend a lot of time in a very small cabin under the sea level. Depending on your position you might be lucky to have a window. Split shifts are painfull. They will ruin your day, you might have some of the hours free but there is not much you can do with that time anyway. The crew bar is open till midnight (what?). Drinks are cheap though and everybody orders them in large quantities ;)

"Travel the world working with Princess"

Former Employee - Photographer in Lima, Lima Region (Peru)
    Former Employee - Photographer in Lima, Lima Region (Peru)

Pros

Good if your young you can progress fast and travel the world.

Cons

Work in cruises is great to learn and understand people. But don't stay more than you should it can be poisonous environment if you stay to long.

Advice to Management

Listen to workers. Don't allow what is call mafias in cruises.. create a healthy environment is part of the listening.

7. "Photography dept"

Former Contractor - Photographer in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Photographer in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free travel and meeting new friends.

Cons

Terrible living conditions, I arrived to dirty bedding and used chewing gum stuck above my bed, sink and shower constantly flooded even though reported many times. Treated with zero respect by management and working hours that absolutely exhaust you.

Advice to Management

Management are on a serious power trip here, they love laying the law down although my first manager received not so much as a slapped wrist for getting drunk and falling over in a passenger area and my second manager just had a lack of respect for the entire team. I handed my notice in and went home a bit early because it was just so awful. I was so excited to start my career with Princess and have never been more disappointed with anything I have done. I believe this is in large part due to management. I think the company should really only promote people to management if they are capable of managing a team professionally, not just because they have stuck with the company for a number of years. If I ever came to management with a genuine problem or concern, the general attitude was 'its not my problem' No actually if you are a manager your team is your problem, its not just a pay check and a bit of power. The only thing I have taken with me is that I met my partner and got to see a bit of the world. I think this job will suit someone who is happy to be treated like an unworthy person and who can survive on very little rest. Good luck.

8. "Working environment less than desirable"

Former Contractor - Photographer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Contractor - Photographer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good for travelling. Sometimes.
    Gain experience fast.
    Get promoted quickly.

Cons

Bad food quality.
    Inexperienced managers due to promotions being offered quickly.

9. "Exciting,Eye opening and hard work"

Current Contractor - Shipboard Photographer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Shipboard Photographer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Get to see some pretty interesting places around the world.
    Meet people from all of and experience a multitude of cultures which opens your eye to the world
    You save money a who lot easier then what you do with an average land based job

Cons

Long Hours
    Food isn't always of the best
    Not always easy to stay in touch with friends and family back home

Advice to Management

Serving better quality food to fellow crew goes a long way. Surely if you have happy healthy crew, you will have happy passengers as well, because the crew are happy.

"Respect your team Princess"

Current Employee - Photographer
    Current Employee - Photographer

Pros

Extensive travel
    Meet great people from all over the world
    Good way to save money
    Unique experience
    Free accommodation and food while at sea
    Flights to and from ship paid for

Cons

Awful awful food
    Have to work seven days a week for months on end
    Patronizing senior management. Lip service paid to "respecting our team" but only token action.
    Staff often hired with little or no relevant experience. One of my colleagues had never used a camera before!!
    Some managers really have no idea what they are doing and don't even seem to want to be there that much. One guy used to sit in the bar all night giving out orders by phone.
    Lots of silly meetings and training during "time off".
    No real incentives to stay around. One guy I worked with had been there for 10 years, he got a certificate and a handshake. The certificate was mounted on a frame that was so heavy he couldn't even take it with him when he flew home. I really think the management in Los Angeles have no idea at all what its like to work on a ship.

Advice to Management

Listen to your own training videos and "Respect your team". Think about pay as well, allot of talented people have left over the last year or so and it seems only very mediocre people are staying around.