Princess Cruise Lines Customer Service/Reservations Reviews | Glassdoor

Princess Cruise Lines President Jan Swartz
Jan Swartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Working long hours without a whole day off" (in 37 reviews)

• "Low Pay (lowest in the cruise industry for IT Professionals)" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are excellent benefits with this company.

Cons

You work with lots of different people and must be flexible. This isn't a bad thing.

"Great benefits great company low wages"

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Telecommute options, cruise discounts, 401k and stock options steady work 49 hrs a week paid holidays vacation and sick time, incentive programs company events

Cons

Low pay.....slow increases, steep expectations but low compensation, raise no longer based on performance, high turn over rate quanity out rates quality

Advice to Management

Don't ask your employees to abide by rules you don't follow..too many changes and over the top expectations drive away your best agents

3. "The company has changed and not for the better"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product, brand, and company is great. Free coffee and tea is nice and so is the lunchroom. Nice office location.

Cons

The supervisors micromanage and you feel like you're in prison or elementary school. The pay is low and the goals are unreasonably high.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and pay them more and you might not have such high turnover.

"Espousing active listening and actually practicing it are apparently two very, very different things."

Former Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do give vacation time which accrues after 90 days and they have a system for requesting time off and "points" earned for good performance reviews which can also be used for time off or to extend breaks or simply to turn into some extra cash. I worked at the Seattle location and I can definitely and confidently state that the team of co-workers was an awesome group to work with and I made a lot of friends that I think I will have for life. I was in the customer service department so I also had the (sometimes) pleasure of speaking to our customers directly; they were older and in large part also very nice or at least understanding in MOST situations. They also offered fully subsidized transit and I felt that the "product" or their ships and service was all topnotch which was the saving grace when trying to sell it.

Cons

If you felt like the previous section seemed a bit light on discussion of pay or management style, don't worry, I have a lot to say but none of it belongs in the 'Pros' section of this. Where to begin? There were just so many failures. Upper management (direct supervisors, managers, directors, department heads, etc.) seemed at the outset to be well-intentioned and many of them I believe were fine, nice people on a personal level but they were lacking in general courtesy, professionalism, and even the most basic of social skills. There were many consistent issues with systems, with trending customer complaints, with low employee morale, and a plethora of others, but they were never amended or given any attention when brought to light innumerable times by myself and other coworkers. I don't know why we all tried so hard to help the company fix its issues considering the abysmal pay that they provide especially when juxtaposed with the amount of different tasks that they expect just one department to perform. I am not sure if it is common practice in call centers these days, but at Princess, they had the same department (of which I was a member) dealing with complaints, financial inquiries, sales, support (technical and otherwise), and all other direct and travel agent calls. Almost no other department was allowed to accept a transfer of call, even if that department was the only one with access to the information necessary for resolution - so I and my fellow department members would play middle man which was counterintuitive at best in most cases. The systems were crap, outdated or cheaply patched together; I know programming and systems so I tried to provide polite feedback but I always had the feeling, as did many others, that our opinions weren't valued and we weren't respected. The company provided opportunities for time off in the form of vacation hours or the usage of "points" as aforementioned in the pros section here, however it was more of a brass ring scenario; you would request time off, for instance, three to four months prior and select say a very slow period for the company, but it might never get approved in most cases or if it did you wouldn't know for sure until two weeks prior or less. This is not conducive to arranging hotels and flights and other items that are integral to a vacation and also things that in most cases charge cancellation fees. I spent too many days being berated by angry customers but finding myself sympathizing with their plight due to how valid their complaints were: the website would never work right, they couldn't access their booking or its details, they were disconnected by the faulty phone system multiple times, the marketing ads were misleading to verging just shy of false advertising, etc. Then, whats worse, is going from being assaulted with righteous issues from the patrons, taking those problems to a direct supervisor or manager, and being ignored or condescendingly placated and then shooed away (yes I was literally shooed away twice by a supervisor) as if I were someone's terrier?! We were also told upon hire that there would be a bonus program to provide commission of sorts on bookings (since we also did sales amongst our laundry list of jobs) but even that was misleading when first presented to us and turned out to be another brass ring that required one to jump through more than a few flaming hoops with little reward. The bonus program was percentage based on your overall check for the month and the amount of the percentage was based on tiers of sales percentage monthly - as I said before sales was only part of our job and therefore this system inspired many workers to seek sales (obviously, I mean we were there for money at the end) and prolong sales calls to increase sales percentage. This left many others to deal with all of the complaints and support calls to the detriment of their "close ratio" or overall monthly sales. Even if one did manage to secure the bonus it wasn't something to write home about; a few times I secured it and the highest ever was $85.00… for a month's worth of hard, hard work to sell their product. To provide comparison, a travel agent makes %10 commission and for what my sales amount was that month, a travel agent would have walked away easily with a couple thousand and thats not to say that I expected THAT amount, but $85.00 in comparison made me realize how dumb and lacking in self-respect that they thought I was. I no longer work at Princess and I managed to walk the straight and narrow and not get fired (which many did due to losing their grip I think) but I value it for one primary thing… it taught me what a poorly managed company looks like and now I know the warning signs to avoid. If you are considering a position here, I would strongly advise against it and furthermore, even though it may be to the detriment of some of my friends, I would encourage you to take your business elsewhere. The customers aren't treated much better within the booking process and via telephone to the call centers. If you must book with them, find a really reliable travel agent who deserves the commission and will actually get it. That way you never have to call that place yourself and learn first-hand how much of a joke the company is.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and your 'front-line' employees. You may think you always know better but it is the person who claims to know it all who is usually the one most often wrong, because that person assumes their own infallibility and that kind of hubris and ego always come before the fall.

"Stress and not enough pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Reservations in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Reservations in Seattle, WA

Pros

The cruise and travel benifits if you can get the time off ... or if you can get approved for a cruise are good.. 5 years didn't get approved for a single one!

Cons

bad management
    incompetant supervisors
    horrible HR department
    policy's aren't upheld with the gusto they promise

I worked for princess for 5 years, at first i loved it, i loved the supervisor I had, the co-workers, and even the job. After time the quality of work enviroment shot down. The management doesn't care who you are, nore, what is happening in your life. There is no work to life balance, if you work there you are a slave to the corprate regime. Two of the head managers are rude and bully their employee's if they dont' have grounds to fire you IE your work is exemplory and you get very high customer service ratings they will work as hard as they can to make you miserable.
    Some of the supervisors do not have the tact or experiance to be managing employee's as they do not know the labor laws in their own states, their employee's have to point them out and then not once but twice maybe six times email their supervisor and manager that said supervisor is requireing y ou to break labor laws.

Advice to Management

Lower level management really needs to look at how they work with their employees. Having your favorites who you let slid on everything, then having others who you call out and repremand in front of the team is not acceptable. The level of stress that you put on your employee's should be considered abuse. It is very hard to recomend anyone work for this company anymore, since the management and supervisory team has fallen to more of a highschool style click... and if you don't belong you might as well have the black plauge because no one will ever treat you like your even human. They bully you in to doing things that you shouldn't have to do... and legally don't have to do inorder to stay employed.

"Not paid enough for the work done"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Reservations
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Reservations

Pros

The management is always supportive and co-workers are fun to work with. Lots of opportunities for recognition of good work done.

Cons

The amount of work and stress needed to get the job done far outweighs the amount paid. Always running around with hardly any breaks or rest in between.

Advice to Management

Improve the training program at the beginning of the cruise season. Many of the new staff members were overwhelmed after the first day and were confused about what to say or do to regarding the passengers' problems.