Princess Cruise Lines Reviews in Santa Clarita, CA | Glassdoor

Santa Clarita, CA

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jan Swartz

Pros
  • Also, the 9/80 schedule is such a great thing to have for employees (in 23 reviews)

• Nice for you if you want to get paid to travel around the world (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours dirty work and bad pay (in 19 reviews)

• Low pay grade and long working hours (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. Management seems to genuinely care for employees. Expectations are achievable. Companies vision for the future seems clear. Company tries to embrace and foster innovation. Great culture.

Cons

Middle management sometimes seems more occupied with keeping status quo. Lots of long time employees who don't seem to want to evolve. Innovation seems stifled in some departments.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing idea that innovation is good. Evolution and change makes us better.

2. "Love working from home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines (Less than a year)

Pros

work from home, weekends off

Cons

low pay very little increase. promise of OT hardly ever offered

3. "Enjoy my work"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy supporting the ships

Cons

Lots of changes that were poorly planned and communicated

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"I got the customer service rep, work @ home position on my own/didn't know anyone in the company) very hard to do..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot in a short amount of time, which is good and bad. The staff I interacted with was very helpful. Cruise benefits are great, if you can get the time off. The point system they use, is very complicated and does not benefit employees.

Cons

Prepare to work weekends with no time off. There is no work/life balance. My schedule was Monday Tuesday Thursday, with Wednesdays and Fridays off. Note this is not 2 days off in a row. Worked every Saturday and Sunday for almost a year. Managers really don't know anything. Hard to know who makes the decisions. Shift bid promised since the day I began and when I left before one year, still no shift bid. I didn't want to leave Princess, but my family life was hurting and I had no other option.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, they do not recognize or even try to retain good employees. The pay at $10.50 an hour (it was $10 when I started in October 2015) is not the reason why you work here. It's a foot in the door. You hope that you can move up in the company, and you can, if you know someone...My advice to Princess is to retain the good employees that you have and treat them better, maybe then they will stay and you won't have such a high turnover and constantly looking to hire new employees. I'm sure that's not a cheap endeavor to do constantly.

"Very top heavy company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time workers get a great selection of benefits- but you will pay dearly for those benefits. 9/80 schedule is nice if you can make it work.

Cons

Managers seem to busy to assist when problems arise. Managers do not do any productive work but instead sit in meetings all day and keep their staff to a minimum. Expect to work 110% every moment of everyday because they'll make sure you're constantly behind by giving more stuff than you can handle.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be cut back at least 50%. A department with 25 people should not have 13 workers and 12 managers \ supervisors. Stop running your staff to the point of exhaustion....Workplace burnout is real. Pay your overworked employees what they're worth. In reality, upward advancement is limited.

7. "Great benefits great company low wages"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Reservations in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Telecommute options, cruise discounts, 401k and stock options steady work 49 hrs a week paid holidays vacation and sick time, incentive programs company events

Cons

Low pay.....slow increases, steep expectations but low compensation, raise no longer based on performance, high turn over rate quanity out rates quality

Advice to Management

Don't ask your employees to abide by rules you don't follow..too many changes and over the top expectations drive away your best agents

8. "Great for travelling but not for long term career."

Former Employee - Photographer in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Santa Clarita, CA

Pros

The greatest experience is travelling and meeting great people, but don't expect much of the former in Photo department. Overall, ship life has great advantages but be very careful when choosing the position.

Cons

Short breaks... And by this I mean the longest break that should, by maritime laws, be at least 7hr. This means that according to your schedule, you finish at 11pm and start tomorrow at 6 or 7am. Which, technically is fine, but you will be closing the gallery and cleaning machines until almost midnight, after that you will go eat. Then next morning is probably gangway shooting, so you need to be ready at least half an hour-hour before, and you need to eat huge breakfast since it's going to be until noon, possibly standing under bright, scorching sun - don't do that on empty stomach. Don't forget that you also need/want to socialize so you might drop off to Crew Bar after work. Sometimes, weeks would go without getting more than 4 hrs of sleep. When passengers come complaining how tired they are after shore excursions, all I'm thinking of is, son, you'll never know this level of exhaustion.
    Then there's the management. I only had one amazing manager in my entire time there. He made us worked hard but he valued are efforts. Others... oh boy.
    Basically, the ship life is great, but I don't think I made wise decision choosing this department. Other departments think we're having it easy. In fact, you're facing a lot of bad management, retaliation from management (that is not according to Princess rules and core values), gossiping and lots of back stabbing within team, lot of photo superiors lack technical knowledge of photography and don't even get me started on lack of quality of photos we're producing. A lot of pressure to sell more which is at times unrealistic, especially when you have cruises with elite passengers or not-so-rich ones, which, considering target audience is middle class is pretty much majority.

Advice to Management

I know you guys are under even greater pressure so I don't blame you. Some of you were amazing leaders which I still respect. The rest of you forgot that your employees are humans too.

9. "Summer Internship - IT"

Current Intern - Information Technology Intern in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Intern - Information Technology Intern in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved this internship. I interned for the IT department and it was one of my best work experiences. I was in a great work environment and worked with a great team. I was given projects every couple of weeks and I learned so much during this experience. Princess was so good to me and they really set up a lot for their interns to network with others and learn what it is like to work within a business. Also, the 9/80 schedule is such a great thing to have for employees. Take advantage of it!

Cons

Honestly I loved this internship so much, but I think it varies between departments and the type of person you are. I have spoke with other interns who hated coming to work everyday, so it really depends on your attitude and the people around you, because that will shape your entire experience. Just be willing to be happy and know that you are there to HELP OTHERS and not think about when you can finally go home, because if you think your job sucks then it will only make your life worse. Haha just some life lessons. I was happy to go to this job everyday which made my experience so awesome.

Advice to Management

Be willing to change, interns come in with fresh and new ideas and I think Princess does a great job of really making their interns feel like they are making change and are a part of bigger things. While you intern here, make sure to make an impact on the company and a name for yourself!

"Youth"

Current Employee - Youth Activities Manager in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Youth Activities Manager in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits include concession cruises for employees and families, internal transfer as well as many development programs are available

Cons

Salary is based on nationality, promotion is very slow, senior managment onboard aren't evaluated properly

Advice to Management

360 surveys are necessary for onboard high-rank managment, as there is lots of harrassment

11. "Human Resources Clerk"

Current Contractor - Human Resources Clerk in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Contractor - Human Resources Clerk in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Princess is all about employee moral and making sure that their employees are taken care of and happy. Great benefits and great environment to work with. They really like to promote from within and have a lot of great programs to facilitate moving throughout the company.

Cons

They really like to promote from within and have a lot of great programs to facilitate moving throughout the company. While great if you are already hired by the company, it makes it difficult to get your foot in the door unless you accept a position as a temp or contract employee. Pay tends to be lower than you would expect from such a big company profitable company.