Princess Nora University Reviews | Glassdoor

Princess Nora University Reviews

Updated Dec 4, 2019

2.2

"A decent place to save money"

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time

Pros

Full housing benefits including utilities. Paid 60 days vacation. And working hours from 8 am - 2 pm

Cons

Heavy teaching load and may need to teach courses not related to your area of specialization.

Princess Nora University2018-10-11
  2. "Better to steer far clear"

Former Employee - Language Instructor in Riyadh

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful campus / interesting architecture

Cons

Incompetent management Lack of resources to teach effectively Unequal treatment

Advice to Management

Focus on providing the tools to enable teachers to teach effectively. Targets and grand mission statements cannot be accomplished if the basic resources are lacking e.g. working epodiums, enough tables and chairs, good lighting and airconditioning, copying facilities etc.

Princess Nora University2019-12-04
  3. "It was a great time!"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Riyadh

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I was hired under an agency which paid me on time - I had free housing accommodation - Work schedule was decent - Campus was stunning

Cons

- Some management were a little rude, but overall had a good experience

Advice to Management

Be open to constructive criticism

Princess Nora University2019-09-30
  4. "Not organised"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for more than a year

Pros

easy work load ( low contact hours)

Cons

Management ( favoritism ) Easy to manage students

Princess Nora University2019-06-20

"I wholeheartedly do not recommend PNU"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Riyāḑ

I have been working at Princess Nora University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuinely can't think of one.

Cons

Before signing my contract l looked at reviews of PNU on Glassdoor and concluded that so many negative reviews must be because 'only people with something negative to say generally leave reviews'. It was a disasterous assumption. My experience here has been overwhelmingly negative. Work load is extreme. Administration is a huge part of this work load. There is zero admin support. There is an expectation that you... will work every evening and weekends. Deadlines are very tight and shift all the time. I was told explicitly by the head of department that l am not allowed to say 'no' to anything. I tried it, she was right, you aren't allowed! Management have adopted a very negative and bullying approach to staff management which came as a shock. I have never experienced so much despondency and genuine depression amongst colleagues accross many different departments. So many are leaving or wanting to leave. I am one if them. I came here filled with enthusiasm and expected to stay a minimum of 3 years. I've lasted one academic year (a whole year by the way with no holidays and no sick leave allowed. Exhausting).

Princess Nora University2019-04-29

"Good"

Former Employee - Academic in Riyadh

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good and first class facilities and has of the most beautiful infrastructure in the world.

Cons

Low salary, treat non-western and non-arabs as second class workers

Advice to Management

Please be fair to all staff regardless of where they come from.

Princess Nora University2019-03-14

"Assistant professor"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Riyāḑ

I worked at Princess Nora University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flex timing is the best part

Cons

Poor administration and lack of understanding

Advice to Management

Hire and promote talent

Princess Nora University2018-10-05

"A Big Bureaucratic Excessive."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Campus is palatial, gleaming, shiny, and extremely clean.

Cons

Princess Norah University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is one big bureaucratic exercise, particularly where the ESL faculty is concerned. PNU is a public relations stunt to deceive the world into thinking it educates women and thereby affords them with career opportunities. In reality the women who attend the courses cannot take careers without a male guardian's permission, and therefore they are unmotivated.... They prefer the classroom as a social meeting place where they can gossip about the latest Western pop music, fashion and all things which are taken for granted by Western women and young people in general. Therefore, they tend to bypass the university and classroom rules, and show contempt for the teacher by constantly chatting in Arabic, and spend most of their time playing on their smartphones. The women constantly ask permission to go to the bathroom, or to leave early for medical appointments, or are absent. They sign each other in, so they can be registered as attending class, but not even in attendance. As such, they have worked out a system among themselves. The women are, of course, keen not to be marked as absent, because if they are, they will be ejected from the course. This further means that they will lose KSA Government payment which they receive for attending the courses. Instead of teaching adults keen to learn, you will find yourself endeavouring to classroom manage a classroom full of infantilised, immature women, who act like 12 year olds. Management advised me to treat them as such too. I retorted to management saying I thought that I had signed up to teach adults at a university, not immature women, acting like 12 year olds at a primary school, who are constantly asking for the bathroom, chatting, playing on their smartphones and being generally disruptive. To add to this, your classroom will be over subscribed, and you may find yourself, as I did, with 38 students on your register for one class. This was common in the ESL faculty, and all of the ESL teachers had the same issues. Therefore you will find yourself spending all of your time on classroom management, and ticking boxes. The actual courses are designed and driven to meet targets, and to enable the students to pass exams as opposed to learning English. You will be teaching to a weekly test. The managers will manage you on how to mark the test papers their way, which MUST be manipulated to illustrate a higher mark than the student's level of English. This is no joke. The campus is soulless and like a no- man's land, and lacks the buzz of a normal university. You never see anyone out and about. Very depressing.

Advice to Management

Stop trading teachers as idiots; they can see through the whole exercise.

Princess Nora University2018-09-19

"Management thrives on Punitive Punishment of teachers."

Former Employee - English Instructor in Riyadh

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just a 10 minute walk from your office is the food fair and shopping. Just what you need, some retail/food therapy after picking up your warning from your manager. You can do a circuit fast walk around the buildings for exercise. Generally paid on time but there were some scary moments-and that was working for PNU Direct. Teachers working for other companies are still waiting.

Cons

All levels of management are abusive (there are some lovely, wise humans working there though but you won't often come into contact with them) but at least this year the big director, who is a horrible woman, got her fair comeuppance and a big fat demotion down to teacher. Amazing how these people can't anticipate their own downfall. Was so hard not to laugh in her face. There she was down in the trenches with us,... after having been so horrible to so many. How's that for pie on your face. (RAOTFLMFAO!!!) Probably the worst part of the job is the behavior of the students. Unless you are a primary school teacher, you are going to have a hard time getting the students to do anything, even though it's university. And some would suggest that the students are even bolder now with women's rights being given. Management are afraid of the students as well so imagine you are firm with your girls but they just take a dislike to you and so go as a group to management to complain that you were rude to them (maybe asking them to put their mobile phones away or get their books out) and you are then called in to explain your behavior, instead of management running the lying fibbers out the office while waving a stick in the air. Management are plenty tough with the teachers but lilly livered weaklings with the students. No, the worst part is that when you have PNU on your resume, it hurts your chances of getting other work in the region unless you seriously hung onto your teaching skills and can seriously prove it in any other interview or demo lesson. Every other employer in the region knows that you deskill at PNU because of the behavior management issues and never really get to 'teach' anything because the students are so rude. Now, if you charm your girls, you may get the occasional moment in which you can teach or terrify (with exam tips) but otherwise, forget it...unless you are a primary school teacher who really knows behavior management...but it's university. And we come full circle. If you need the money desperately until your lottery win or a parent passes and you don't need to work again, go for it.

Advice to Management

Get out if you can't do the job. It's dishonest to take the government's money if you are completely incompetent.

Princess Nora University2018-08-24

"Better than expected"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Riyadh

I worked at Princess Nora University full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a beautiful campus and I got plenty of time to go for long walks and climb stairs for exercise. Students can also be great as long as things are done their way. I think PNU has probably improved at all levels in the past year or two but salaries are way lower as well. Overall I enjoyed my semester here and know plenty of other teachers who also did.

Cons

Very few as long as you always keep a can-do attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep up the improvements ladies!

Princess Nora University2018-06-12