Princeton Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Princeton Consultants (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a Fast paced environment

Cons

Sometimes you work on weekends

"Good company if you can avoid working with some of the Directors"

I worked at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

I met a few very nice people and made a few good friends during my time at Princeton Consultants. I had the opportunity to hone my soft skills.

Cons

You need to figure out as soon as possible who the good Directors are, who the bad Directors are, who to work with and who to avoid working with.

Advice to Management

Stop treating junior people like fools - some of them are way smarter than you.

3. "Great first job"

Current Employee - Associate in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

The best part about working here is the people. My colleagues are smart, hard working, and reliable. They are also very collaborative; there aren't any negative office politics that I have seen. Dress code may be a con for some, but personally I like that the whole office looks fly, and it makes my morning routine very straightforward. Variety of projects / technologies keeps me engaged, though the projects are sometimes mundane. Very good work/life balance for consulting; I rarely work more than 45 hours a week except when traveling.

Cons

Cons vary by client; some are slow-moving, others are hard to communicate with etc. Because we bill hourly, sometimes you don't get to implement some cool/useful feature because the client doesn't want to pay for it. It's possible to get stuck on a long boring project. Flat organization structure means I'm not holding out for promotion to the upper ranks.

Advice to Management

Give new folks something useful to do straight away. The first couple months new hires are looking to impress; give them the opportunity to do so.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is decent, nice and smart people to work with.

Cons

Company atmosphere is very conservative, they only reward business development and leadership skills (not really any other contributions to projects). Not flexible on work from home, management doesn't trust employees.

Advice to Management

Become a bit more modern

5. "Great Place to Grow"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Princeton Consultants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started here shortly after college and stayed on a few years longer than expected. The company expanded and contracted (both in moderation) over time, and it was during periods of significant change that I grew the most. I felt supported, especially by my coworkers but also by my supervisors, and I was given lots of chances to move up quickly.

Cons

Project-based work is unpredictable and sometimes stressful -- now that I no longer do it, I don't miss it. Naturally, the client is king, so we constantly had to balance meeting their expectations, doing right by our own company, and having some semblance of a life. I found that hard to do.

Advice to Management

Keep working on intellectual diversity. Although I came from a heavy science-engineering background, my projects benefited from having people with a different education -- and when we had too many engineers together, we sometimes got creatively stuck.

6. "Senior Associate"

Pros

Extremely smart people
    Very friendly
    Excellent work-life balance

Cons

Salary is typically lower than other consulting firms

Advice to Management

Perhaps, a bit more openness about the financial standing of the company and business development during quarterly meetings

"Excellent place to work for 2-3 years out of college or a PhD program."

I worked at Princeton Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart and nice co-workers. Senior management has created a bunch of very stable consulting relationships, and are genuinely committed to creating a stable work environment for the employees. You learn a lot about software development and project management, which is very helpful if you have a degree outside of CS, and want to move into a career in software.

Cons

Below market compensation. Career will stagnate after 2-3 years. I see very little point in staying here beyond the Consultant level.

Advice to Management

Not clear they should change anything. They have a good thing going, and I think the relationship between them and employees is mutually very beneficial. People who spend 2-3 years there see their market value boosted tremendously, and in the meanwhile management makes good money off them.

8. "Pretty good place to start a career"

I worked at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

employees here are, on the whole, very bright and pleasant to work with, with most having an advanced degree in a STEM field

Cons

Low compensation compared to competitors, limited upward mobility, heavy focus on transportation industry despite attempts to broaden scope, high turnover among staff

Advice to Management

consider promotions to partner instead of director; consider bonuses based on performance rather than solely on billable hours

"This place is a joke. Don't drink the Kool-Aid."

I have been working at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

- You get exposed to the ins and outs of an IT project from the get go. Pro if you are self-directed.
    - Good 401k match although vesting period is long. Full match after 5 years with 20% increase per year.
    - Co-workers are usually from good educational backgrounds and are generally hardworking and dedicated.
    - This place can be a good stepping stone for better places. Staying here long-term makes no sense and you will be stuck in a dead-end job.

Cons

Note: Be careful about reviews here. PCI cares quite a bit about its image and I would question the validity of some of these reviews. I also read some pretty insightful reviews in the past but I can no longer find them.

- Uncompetitive pay although they will say otherwise. Analyst and Associate pay is a joke considering people's backgrounds (See salary for evidence). Analyst do NOT get paid billable hours bonus despite being guilt tripped into putting in major overtime/weekends and doing the exact same work as Associates or higher. When you first join, they will try to low ball you in terms of your base salary. Don't get pressured into giving an answer right away.
    - 50+ hrs/week is expected. Hours rather than productivity are the most important measure of your worth and it is meticulously tracked after each work day. This is done through multiple means such as time sheets which you have to write daily.
    - Very hierarchical. Analyst I -> II -> III -> IV -> Associate I -> II -> III -> Senior Associate I -> II -> Consultant I -> II -> etc... Get the idea? Promotional structure is absolutely meaningless and discouraging. There are performance reviews every 6 months and although raises are given quite often, these raises are actually minuscule and meant to give an illusion of progress. If you start off at the bottom level, you are essentially wasting your time and should probably think of an escape plan.
    - Experience is very project dependent and if you get stuck on a bad project then too bad. You don't really have a choice and this leads to high turnover. There are quite a few bad/boring projects in the firm.
    - Management is clueless on how to give people incentive and lack foresight. Guilt tripping is used to solve any type of issue rather than actually caring about employees needs or thinking intelligently about the project's direction.
    - Many projects are stuck using old or obscure technologies and the skills are NOT transferrable.
    - Company motto is "optimization" despite optimization NOT actually being used in most projects. Some of the main optimization experts have already left and have taken their expertise with them.
    - No flex hours and work from home is discouraged. Facetime is key. Management is paranoid and do not trust their employees.
    - Full formal dress code.

Advice to Management

- Please act morally. I've seen some pretty immoral conduct and it reflects very badly.
    - I have nothing else to say. It's clear they don't listen or just don't care. Perhaps it's in their interest to remain the same.

10. "Excellent company hiring smart and nice people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

They hire physics and math majors from top-notch universities. You will find many smart and nice people there.

Being a physicist, you will learn a lot about IT. Fast paced environment - a projects might last less than a year (for many - it might be a cons).

Quarterly meetings are very entertaining - each employee might talk about anything which might be relevant for the firm for 5 minutes.

They match 100% on 401K.

You have to achieve 2000 hours a year goal. This will be below 45 hours a week, so despite others claim 50 hours, the average PCIer makes less than 45 hours a week which is not too much in my view compared to the other consulting companies.

Cons

If you are a physicist or a mathematician (and more than 50% are), you might feel that your skills are not used. But it really depends on your perspective, after all - if you are a physicist, why not to stay in academia.

Advice to Management

I know, this is hard and depends on the clients, but if you hire physicists, try to get some interesting analytic job for them. Especially for the company known for optimization.