Princeton Review Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Sangje Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I worked part time during the summer of 2017" (in 35 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can choose when you'd like to work" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "hard to balance full time and teaching responsibilities if you do choose to teach/tutor" (in 23 reviews)

• "part time schedule only really allows for about 15 hours a week in a good week" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great if you can get hours"

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time

Pros

Great Pay
    Paid Training
    Lots of variety

Cons

Hard to get hours
    Tedious paperwork at times

Advice to Management

Streamline processes, aggressively train instructors on new exams so they can work more, and that's it.

2. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Princeton Review (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the company culture.

Cons

Do not apply there, unless you want to be apart of many company lay-offs.

3. "Decent job"

I worked at Princeton Review full-time

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good 401k match.

Cons

Policies change too frequently for customers to keep up

"Great to see some horrible people go"

Current Employee - Tutor in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Tutor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are complaining about the layoffs, but honestly, some of the people who left were totally inept and ethically bankrupt and should have been fired a long time ago. Instead they were even inexplicably promoted for a while, but I'm glad that did not last long. That is one good thing the new owners have done, though who knows what their reasoning is. These people might have left with the same delusions that they're actually good at their jobs and were unfairly dismissed, when in reality they don't have the basic legal understanding needed for their field without piling on lawsuit after lawsuit from employees, as has been happening for years. Best of luck to whoever ends up hiring them, thinking their years of "experience" is actually commensurate with their talent.

Cons

Besides that, the new management is making everything even less efficient than the old management did, though it's been on a solid downward slope long before this new company took over. For all I know, this could be the brainchild of the folks that go let go. But the bottom line is, customers are not getting help in a timely manner because new policies are making tutors spend at least twice as much time on async sessions for really no reason. Management is freaking out because now there is a huge backlog of async sessions, gee, after multiplying the work (and therefore time) we have to spend on them, and cutting everyone's hours because they don't want to pay for breaks, let alone health insurance? Who would have thought!

Advice to Management

Great work weeding out the bad apples; keep it up. Anyone who think that layoffs were unfair or that all the problems are the new management's faults are delusional, all the problems started looong before them, and I'm glad to see some truly horrible people (both professionally and and human beings) go.

5. "Marketing Outreach Manager"

I worked at Princeton Review full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture
    Casual environment
    A lot of long time employees

Cons

Unclear business structure
    Poor compensation
    Upper Management did not have clear direction

"Still a great place to work with a great mission and great people"

I have been working at Princeton Review full-time

Pros

great mission: help kids get into better schools
    great people: really top notch coworkers. smart, passionate, fun
    flexible: manage your own hours as long as you get your work done
    benefits: great medical, lots of paid time off, good everything else

Cons

full-time corporate teams are in transition - over the past 10 years, the company has tried and failed to expand into different areas and has been bought and sold multiple times. This led to faltering revenues, which was no fun. So, there have been several rounds of layoffs to get company down to a more realistic size. Also refocused on core business. We all hope that we are now back on the upswing with a smaller team and more of a "start-up" atmosphere where more ideas are accepted and attempted and not as much corporate red tape. frankly, we lost a lot of good people in the layoffs, but also a lot of bad people.

Advice to Management

Focus on what makes us great. Do that really well. Invest in teachers and content. listen to people with experience.

"How to Drive a Company in the Ground in 3 Easy Steps"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Princeton Review full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be a fantastic work environment
    Used to have a great base of loyal employees enthusiastic to work to better the company
    Used to be a staple of the education industry
    Has had a wonderful history and built a great deal of prestige

Cons

They’ve laid off half of the employees and have no plans to survive...

ST Unitas took over in late 2017 and Sangje Lee and Jonathan Soto were able to magnificently drive the business into the ground in a matter of months.
    No strategy, no plan, no organization. Just gimmick after gimmick in hopes one of their ideas would be a winning lottery ticket. That is not how business operates for long-term success.
    While the business was in recent decline from its best years, the sheer tenacity for Lee and Soto to do everything poorly is nothing short of astonishing.

They are preparing for bankruptcy. They are planning for shutting down the company, which will only be good for parts when they are done ruining it.

Advice to Management

Resign in shame

8. "Site Manager"

I worked at Princeton Review part-time

Pros

Good place to start career

Cons

It was very bureaucratic

"This went FUBAR real quick..."

I have been working at Princeton Review full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Princeton Review had many bright and hardworking individuals that were constantly pushing forward due to their great work ethics. The culture was amazing at one point and everyone gave off such warm feelings. Unfortunately, it has rapidly declined within the past few months, especially after 2 waves of layoffs within the past 4 months.

Cons

Many of the employees either have been let go or resigned. Although TPR has not been doing well over the past few years, the parent company, ST Unitas, has driven this company to the ground in a matter of months. The current leadership seems to be very out of touch with the employees, and without being transparent about their direction, it almost seems as if they have no clue on what they are doing. There really is no room for growth at this point, and majority of any new hires are part-time Admin Assistants, who are probably underpaid with little to no benefits. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of this place.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees and be more transparent about your goals.

"Are “U” in?"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Princeton Review full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great history and recognized brand - sense of pride and respect to be associated with company ( both as a current employee and recent alumni)

Flexibility in where and how you work (for many of us)

The teams - great variety of skills and personalities- all trying the best to do their respective jobs and get along

Cons

New ownership and the resulting changes and uncertainties that occur.

Advice to Management

Ed tech is hot. Keep the faith AND invest. Expanding globally and outside your home country comfort zone was a gutsy move - don’t get cold feet or blink first. And above all remember that we are still a people business- students and their parents, administrators and teachers, employees and leadership- communicate with us! (PS, I sure wish I spoke Korean or you spoke English).