Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated May 17, 2020

3.6
Principal Financial Group President and Chief Executive Officer Daniel J. Houston  (no image)
Daniel J. Houston
Pros
Cons
  • "Des Moines is not an ideal place for young people and foreigners(in 35 reviews)

• "There are no cons as from my personal experience(in 19 reviews)

1. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Product Owner

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great FTO program, flexible work schedule, generally dedicated co-workers, interesting work, genuinely cares about employees

Cons

Its an old, big finance company. Things are slow to change, lots of senior people riding their way to retirement that cant be bothered to drive meaningful change. Pay below market.

Principal Financial Group2020-05-16
  2. "Accounting Intern"

4.0
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good documentation on tasks, a good internship program, great networking opportunities

Cons

Pay is low for most similar internships, Not much say in the work you get or department you are placed in

Principal Financial Group2020-04-27
  3. "Great!"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Principal Financial Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay with great people and they offer very nice training that makes it easy to learn the ins and outs of the company

Cons

-None that I can think of

Principal Financial Group2020-04-22
  4. "Bad management. Thankless job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, culture, coworkers

Cons

Management is bad. If they don't like you for any reason they will micromanage you until you quit. Was personally picked apart by management-- that had nothing to do with the job. Got tired of it and left. Working at a much better company. Glad I left. Your experience here will depend entirely on your manager. I know people who have had great experiences here- but unfortunately for me I can't even drive by the place without feeling sick to my stomach about how terrible I feel like I was treated by my manager here.

Principal Financial Group2020-05-04
  5. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-I in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work, lots of nice people

Cons

Sometimes you work on out dates systems

Principal Financial Group2020-04-17
  6. "Infrastructure engineer"

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits and flexible time off

Cons

On my team, leaders are promoted within the team which can cause some stagnant leadership because there is not an influx of new ideas coming in.

Principal Financial Group2020-04-15
  7. "Okay job"

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, good insurance, 401k match, amount of PTO

Cons

You work in a call center. The job is poorly described in the job description when applying. PTO is hard to use without falling on blackout dates

Principal Financial Group2020-04-13
  8. "Culture shock"

Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are fine. Employees on the ground are generally good.

Cons

Culture in Raleigh office is toxic. Failing leadership. Technology.

Principal Financial Group2020-04-02
  9. "Pretty Good"

4.0
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, good co-workers, great management

Cons

Changing to a "One Principal" mentality may not be for everyone, especially those not too keen on putting their own work on hold to help other departments when unexpectedly busy

Principal Financial Group2020-03-11

"Not worth the stress"

Current Employee - Life & Disability Claim Analyst

Pros

Ability to work remotely, flexible work schedules

Cons

Worked to death. Expectations are unrealistic. Caseloads are unmanageable. The phone rings nonstop so you feel more like a call center employee rather than a claim analyst at times. You are expected to take your own calls plus everyone else’s. You are expected to work your own claims plus everyone else’s. The turnover is high, leading to “abandoned caseloads” which must be absorbed by those remaining. It’s not realistic to keep up with. There is no such thing as a 40 hour workweek although you’re expected to be able to meet expectations without overtime. Claimants are often disgruntled because of timing and communication issues - the reason behind that is no one has the time to do everything we’re expected to do in an 8 hour workday. I work nonstop just to maintain and it’s a vicious cycle. It’s exhausting and anxiety inducing. Everyone is burnt out, including management. You are also “feedbacked” to death. There is endless scrutiny over every single action taken on a claim - and feedback/direction is often subjective depending on who happens to review a claim at any given time. Impossible to take PTO without working around the clock nonstop to get caught up afterwards.

Principal Financial Group2020-03-20