Principal Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Daniel J. Houston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pay is often not competitive for like positions in the Des Moines market (in 32 reviews)

• Drive time to work so it would be nice to work from home (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Flexibility; Best in Class; Great Corporate Citizen

Cons

Insurance/Financial Services; large corproate atomosphere (sometimes slow to react)

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Employee Benefit Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Employee Benefit Specialist in Charlotte, NC

Pros

They care about the employees and have great benefits. It is a close group of people with which I work. They are willing to spend money on the employees to offer nice benefits which makes us want to work harder for the success of the company.

Cons

The biggest downside that I have found is the computer systems used by Principal. They seem to be out of date and hard to use compared to other companies in the industries.

Advice to Management

Continue to view your clients as the employees of the company as well as investors.

"Principal Financial Group from the eyes of an intern"

Current Employee - IT Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Princiapl offers a very flexible work schedule, great people to work with, and a great environment to work in. People are there to help youif you need it, leave you alone if you don't, and they pay very well compared to compeitive intern positions I've seen. The work loads are reasonable, I have not heard anyone truly complain about their load or not having time or help to get it done. But there still is a push to be the best everyone can be and move as quickly as possible without wearing on people like some companies I've heard do.

Cons

I honestly have not run into any major issues that would make me not want to work here full time. The parking situation is my only gripe, but they are currently building a large parking garage across the street from the building I work in that I can probably end up in. As of now, they are busing people to and from a flat lot, which while they are making their best attempt to accomodate the employees, it still adds 20-30 minutes to your day, and you have to show up and leave by the bus schedule. Nothing in the office is a turn off for this job so far.

Advice to Management

The senior management at Principal Finiancial Group is very determined and very precise with what they want from us as employees, and what they want for the company. Their goals are precisely set and measured, and often reacehd here, and they reward the employees for reaching them.

4. "Principal, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Flexible work hours, excellent benefits, great work environment, and opportunities for growth. They also embrace technology and business partners work closely with IT to produce solutions that fit the need of our customers. And finally there are lots of different ways Principal reaches out to the community. Many of our casual days require us to pay a small amount of money that goes to charity and many times we are presented with different causes to support. It's good to know that my employer has an eye on the whole community.

Cons

Change is something you need to get used to. If you are someone who does not embrace changes with a positive state of mind then this may not be the company for you. However, in the years I've been at Principal Financial the change is usually a good thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication. There are so many new things happening at Principal that it gets hard to keep focused on the overall goal. We get frequent reminders of our policies and goals as a company, and when something isn't going right it doesn't get shoved under a rug. Instead the management steps up and helps us get back on track.

5. "Principal is a top place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Principal strives to give it's employees a great work/life balance. They see their employees as their greatest asset.

Cons

Employees who have been with the company a long time or have never worked anywhere but the Principal sometimes don't see the larger picture.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It's a great company and a great place to work.

6. "The Principal Financial Group is top-notch!"

Former Employee - Investment Accounting Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Investment Accounting Intern in Des Moines, IA

Pros

The Principal Financial Group has great company culture. It is a fun place to work, and makes life easy. There is a top-quailty Wellness Facility, on-site banking, dry cleaning, and pharmacy, and a great cafeteria. It is easy to get around to all the buildings. There is a large opportunity for growth within the company, and there are tons of areas you can work in.

Cons

Des Moines isn't the greatest city in the U.S.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job

7. "Great company, great people, leader in the retirement industry"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

great senior management leadership, great products, award winning service, excellent total compensation package. There is reason why so many people at PFG have 20 plus years with the company

Cons

too much middle management, need more people from the outside, not enough product development, improve incentives for service team

Advice to Management

cut middle management, increase product pipeline, more incentive for consistent year over year production

8. "Tough business to start, but worth it when you make it."

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great company and support. Independence wihout being on your own entirely. Great group of producers and advisors to lean on and learn from.

Cons

More than half will burn out or give up. Toughest job ever. Do not try if you are not commited.

Advice to Management

Get long time producers involved in training earlier on. Focus on investment knowledge for new producers as well as insurance.

9. "Great Place to Work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Great Place to Work and they offer great benefits

Cons

Promotions are difficult to obtain

"Career redo"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Midwestern sensibilities. Well managed. Great culture. Support and encourage entrepreneurship. Best or next best-in-class in all core competencies: Retirement, insurance and investments. Great benefits. Great overall employee experience.

Cons

At times cautious to their detriment. With few exceptions their platform--pricing and client solutions--are available to captive and non-captive advisors alike.
    Captive advisors, while we are open architecture (full access to non-Principal products), there is an over-emphasis via compensation disparity to favor PFG whenever possible. Coming from twenty year advisor and management wirehouse background where proprietary product favoritism was regulated out of existence, unsure how they get away with it. But who am I to complain?
    Statutory employee--employer relationship (advisors are essentially contract employees with full benefits), while appealingly flexible for advisors, is said to be not-so-much in the eyes of the IRS!

Advice to Management

Mine has a tendency to over-promise. I think they could also benefit from making more of an effort to keep the stresses of management, particularly things that crowd out--even if only perceived by the advisors--time and advisor space ought to be kept to themselves. "If it doesn't directly impact my world, or negatively does so, I don't want to hear about it. And I sure don't want you using it as an excuse where my wellbeing is concerned."