Principal Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • slow advancements unless you move to Des Moines (in 29 reviews)

• Wish it was easier to work from home or if there were more locations around Des Moines to work from (in 8 reviews)

"Information Security Analyst - Senior"

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst - Senior in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst - Senior in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment
    Low pressure atmosphere

Cons

10 years behind the curve on security practices/view points
    Business puts low value on security
    Very low salaries for high demand skills
    Politics more important than skills for advanced promotions

Advice to Management

Move away from broad job classifications, salaries need to be commensurate with skill level AND market demand. The "benefits" you tout as differentiators are not.

2. "IT Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Principal has a great work environment with great people working in it. And the renovated office spaces are very conducive for collaboration.

Cons

The atmosphere can change from department to department. I had a very open and collaborative team, but I know not all teams are that way. They are also a little slow in adopting agile.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging and engaging your employees. The internship provided a lot of opportunities to challenge interns to learn more and become better employees and people.

3. "Meeting Planner"

Former Employee - Meeting Planner in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Meeting Planner in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Best job! I loved working for this company. Great benefits!

Cons

Department manager should share same feelings about flex time and wellness time as the company culture offers.

5. "Don't work at a field office"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Waltham, MA

Pros

I worked at a field sales office. The reps I supported were amazing as was the sales manager. The size of the team lead to establishing amazing relationships.

Cons

Sales staff was commission only and as a result they could be demanding and difficult to work with. Commute was brutal.

Advice to Management

None

"Sr Sales Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Support Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Support Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PFG has the best daycare in Des Moines. They also offer pension with the 401k.

Cons

Favoritism of management, no work/life balance, unrealistic expectations with low pay. Every year management gives the "2.8% bucket" lecture... hard workers who aren't the favorites get even less of a raise. They expect employees to come back from maternity leave, get no training, then produce the same amount of work as those fully trained. Forget about calling in! After calling in 3x in one year, management made up a "policy " threatening termination of employment if it continued to occur even AFTER physicians notes were furnished and when employee proved the policy didn't exist PRIOR to the call ins. Sales staff are unreasonable and unprofessional yet I was to support them with high degree of professionalism, total double standard.

Advice to Management

Learn what ethics means. Mass email robbing employees of 7%of their salary. A year later, another mass email that you are exiting medical business and mass layoffs will ensue. You are screwing with employees lives. As one of the bigger employers in Des Moines, you should set a standard for high standards, not be the reason for other employers to brag about their ethics and your lack there of.

"Defined benefit technician"

Former Employee - Defined Benefit Technician in Cedar Falls, IA
    Former Employee - Defined Benefit Technician in Cedar Falls, IA

Pros

Casual dress and that about it for pros

Cons

Started promised 40+ hours a week was lucky to get 20. Training was a disaster. Everyone does something diffent from training manuals provided. Uper management has no clue. We were gave projects with a different trainer for each one. Sometime trained and then retrained after half project was finished.

Advice to Management

Train the trainers. Learn communication and consistancy.

8. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior leaders are genuinely interested in personal development and aiding employees to meet their career goals. Salaries are more than fair and the bonus program is generous.

As an employee, I am pushed to be innovative in my space and share ideas. As a leader, I am taught to coach my direct reports to do the same.

Principal is financially conservative but socially liberal and is doing a great job of developing a culture of inclusion and diversity.

Cons

They tighten up budgets when the economy gets rough, but doesn't loosen reigns when the market stables. Like many companies around the world, employees are asked to do more with less.

Advice to Management

Continue to actively listen to employees and demonstrate you are really listening.

"I had a horrible experience working here."

Former Employee - Retirement Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Retirement Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Climate-controlled office. Indoor plumbing. Briefly spoke with a celebrity on the phone at my oh-so-glamorous call center cubicle. Having learned that I will never work at such a horrible company again.

Cons

Feeling like a number in a large, hierarchical, dysfunctional organization. Micromanaged to cellular level. Pretty much stuck at my cubicle the whole day without much freedom to walk around.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to begin...

10. "Director"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Parkland, FL
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Parkland, FL

I worked at Principal Financial Group (More than a year)

Pros

Products - training - compensation - helpful - teamwork - trips - marketing - advanced training - benefits

Cons

flexibility - cost to keep office- upper management doesn't play a role or care what goes on locally.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what the advisory have to say - they know more then you think

11. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Principal was all in all a great company to work for. Dan Houston is an awesome CEO who is doing great things with the company: One Principal & empowered employees. The people are friendly and they really are about work-life balance.

Cons

There really weren't any cons to working at Principal. Maybe all the construction that is going on but it is what it is and will look great after it is all complete.