Principal Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kim Paul

"GREAT Opportunity for Those Who Work Hard!"

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing Assistant in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing Assistant in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had been working for Principal Marketing for 5 months and if it wasn't for me having to move back home to be with family, I would still be with this company.

There's too many positives to talk about but if I had to pick a couple, I would say that Principal Marketing has a GREAT team behind them as well as a unique growth structure that is based off of an individual's success. This company has taught me so many skills, both personally and professionally, that I am able to take with me in any career that I choose to do in the future.

If I ever get the opportunity to move back to Chicago, I will be re-applying to this firm! Thank you Kim and team for everything you've done for me!

Cons

At first, I was skeptical to come in based off of other reviews I have seen but after joining the team at Principal Marketing, I am SO glad I did not listen to the reviews! I do not have any cons about Principal Marketing, however I do have cons about people who failed to see the opportunity that is provided!

Advice to Management

WORK HARD, DON'T GIVE UP! Realize that YOU are in control of YOUR GOALS and your success is completely dependent on your ability. Nothing is handed to you! Remain positive, humble, and motivated!

"I'm constantly moving foward"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have moved up so quickly so far - went to the next position within two weeks, just like they said people do. If you're not moving forward, you're not applying yourself, point blank. Love the people, super fun team environment. They always give you the tools, just study your training materials and actually engage and you'll do great.

Cons

You have to be a bit flexible- there's times where I've come in early or I've stayed late. Who isn't doing this in order to move up? But maybe some people want to clock in clock out I'm not sure...but I'm willing to put in time to move up. But that's the biggest con I suppose?

Advice to Management

If people aren't willing to be flexible or put in time just don't have them be on the team. I want to work with people who pull their weight. Which I usually do, but still.

"Don't believe the fake "good" reviews!"

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive to share! Perhaps as someone mentioned previously, the energy amongst the so called leadership is high. Another thing that is very high is the employee turnover rate. People are realising quickly about this job taking them nowhere.

Cons

Please don't believe the good reviews that are on here. They are all fake ones put up by the staff of the company. The advice to the management in these review is basically similar to the stuff they try to teach you in the morning "meetings."

- They don't tell you right from the beginning that this is a cold selling job at Costco or Sams Club. You will be just like the sample lady there!

- You are expected to drive long distances and not reimbursed enough gas money. You will most definitely end up spending more from your own pocket for this job!

- The management meetings in the morning are just a few people getting together to talk negative about the other employees and see if they can fire anyone!

- They say you will initially pull down 500 to 600 dollars per week but that is not true. You will be making minimum wage or lower!

- They make you to memorize their selling techniques, but most of it just doesn't work. You will literally have to beg people to buy the product!

- You are expected to forget that you have a life outside the job and must work 12 hour days and 6 days a week at least!

- Stay away!

Advice to Management

Please be upfront about the job profile. Improve the pay and give some benefits to the employees. Do not mislead people about any kind of growth in this job!

"The best companies do not take advantage of loyalty"

Former Employee - Trainer in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Trainer in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program is truly an eye opening experience, and if you have a good attitude or solid goals, there is an opportunity to grow yourself. You learn how to conduct a conversation that ends in your favor. You can really work on bad habits, your sanity depends on learning to manage far too much. Luckily all you wear is black, because you don't have time to do laundry.

Cons

Management manipulates you into thinking that your best work is sub par. Your personal time? You should devote it to your team (people you've tricked into thinking there is an opportunity to earn a glamorous life ) -Not much structure -Not a lot of follow through -leaders are in it for themselves -excessive work schedule. Set up events at a big box retailer until 11PM, arrive home around midnight, back at the club by 8 AM, then work solo until 8:30PM the next evening. Get used to 12 straight days of that schedule, one day off where you're a corpse trying to manage the tatters that are your life, and if you have a pet or loved one, both will die due to lack of attention. You're guaranteed success here if you give up everything in the meantime. -Don't worry, they will teach you how to be indifferent as you manipulate others for Kim's financial gain. -Spin your wheels for months to find out you've gone absolutely nowhere but into crippling debt. Ask anyone but Kim how their finances are. Seriously. DO it. Then run. -If your car is worth anything when you start, expect the KBB value to plummet at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

Lead people, don't use them. When you ask people about their long term goals, help them achieve them, don't simply use them as a way to motivate and control them.

""Lipstick the pig""

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team leaders are generally fun and easy to talk to

Cons

They play around with how much you'll make. Felt very fishy and I couldn't get straight answers
    No per diem rates for traveling out of town. Only pay mileage and want to do everything cheap. Like put you in a room with a complete stranger (although it is a co-worker, very uncomfortable)
    Walking around concrete floors for 12+ hours in Costco and/or Sam's club
    I was told it will take ten years to get to where I want to be.....

Advice to Management

Good luck.

"SCAM company, terrible job"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can call yourself employed.

Cons

Everything else. This is essential nothing but the worst sales job, notice there will be about 10-15 others crammed in your tiny interview space because the majority of you won't stay more than a few weeks. You'll sell knives, or soaps or youth beauty creams or other over priced junk no one wants in Sams club for hours. The worst job ever. You'll be forced to participate in learning sessions taught by someone who researched on Google a few hours earlier in the morning. Don't waste your time. You're better off unemployed.

Advice to Management

Shut down, no one wants the junk you're peddling.

"Thank you for changing my life!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time

Pros

Love the management, Kim is inspiring and a pleasure to work for. The entire staff is fun and encourages you to reach your goals in every way. They run events nation wide, of course it is optional to travel, but since I love to travel I took advantage of traveling the country on the company dime. Their paid vacations are unbelievable, this is the only company I have ever worked for that paid me to relax in the Bahamas all expenses paid. For me though above all is the impact they make for small businesses, they literally create something from nothing.

Cons

I had to move out of state to take care of my grandma otherwise I would have been a lifer. I don't really have any cons but from reading some reviews here it is alarming and disturbing to see such negative reviews from people who clearly are not familiar with what direct marketing is. So I'll just clarify some things that have been said: pay is amazing, I paid off my credit cards and saved for a 2 week vacation in Europe. I never worked more that 40 hours and as for the travel well yes as indicated in the interview process you travel to events in which you are given a travel allowance that well over compensates the expenses. And finally yes it is challenging as everything worth doing should be, but with their one on one mentor program you are guided and supported in everything.

Advice to Management

Don't get discouraged by the negative people, most people don't have the work ethic or student mentality to reach their goals so they complain about people who do. Thank you for everything you have done for me...you have given me the skills and the confidence to achieve anything and for that I can never thank you enough.

"Campaign Manager"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't even know where to start. I came into this company just looking for a job, and what I've gotten out is SO much more. I've learned how to create results based on the effort and attitude I put into a position. I was so tired of working for lazy bosses and still only making a set hourly. When I came to Principal, not only was I treated like a partner, but I've had the opportunity to grow and earn money based on my own efforts. Kim Paul, the CEO, has been a coach, mentor, teacher, business partner, and friend to me. I've never worked anywhere where I got that much support from ANYONE, let alone the CEO. She's always totally available to spend time with anyone who's looking for help, support, feedback or just a friend. Plus, I got to travel A TON! There are always networking events and conferences to attend. I'm on track to move into a management role within 6-8 weeks, and I couldn't be more excited for myself and the team as a whole!

Cons

Honestly, I was reading reviews for fun and had to post this because the negative reviews are so silly to me! In any company, there will always be people who are the wrong fit, plain and simple. If I had nothing better to do, I'm sure I could rant and rave all day about my previous terrible job experiences! It's very clear that this position takes a self-motivated, driven, ambitious person who's looking for a fast track career. MOST people want to sit around a cubicle all day, and that's fine! But this is the wrong career for them. An accelerated training process= more in the short term to get to management quickly!

Advice to Management

Keep it up. You're doing a phenomenal job. I have so much fun day in and day out. Honestly though, keep talent scouting! Don't stop the recruiting efforts! I know this is a great opportunity for so many people like me! My friends are constantly asking how they can apply.

"Waste of time trying to reach "Management position""

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Principal Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some travel opportunities, if you like cult like mentalities this is the perfect place for you. Some friendly co workers

Cons

Where to begin... Expect to work Sunday-Sunday 8am-7pm, but don't worry it is worth it because we are "entrepreneurs" and it will be worth it once we become a "manager" They will try to convince you the long hours and constant difficulties you will face, selling whatever product you have that day in Sams club will be worth it once you bring in the big bucks as a manager. Expect to act like a puppy dog and obey all rules to the headmaster Kim (the boss) or else you will be punished, or fired. Every morning they will try to pump you up for your big day at Sams club selling your Chinese products and tell you whatever you need to hear to make it through the 10 hour day on your feet.

Advice to Management

You are running an office, try acting more professional and not two faced. Talking behind peoples backs, and treating employees like trash is not the correct way to build a company. Honesty goes along way, also compassion about peoples lives beyond Principal Marketing.

"Don't forget the words."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Ellyn, IL

Pros

A job on a resume? Maybe.

Cons

Some people wear khakis and that's cool but if you wear a sweater you get in trouble. If you don't remember 6 or 7 pages of information, literately word for word, by your first day not only are you behind but you will be talked to as though your a child. When i say word for word i mean it. If you say woman instead of lady you messed up and have to start over THE NEXT DAY. If you If you don't ASK them to train you YOU get in trouble. Yea you get in trouble if THEY don't do their job. If your late even by a few minutes because, say, you have a child and have to get them to school you're told if it happens even one more time you're fired. Sorry i had a life before i knew your company existed. The people here are unprofessional and have NO IDEA how to run a company. Maybe Kim should go back to law school because she sucks at being a boss.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out of your butt. If you hire someone TRAIN them! Understand your employees are PEOPLE some of them have families and those families come with responsibilities that should be more important then YOUR company. If your employee says woman instead of lady get over it. It means the same thing and they showed they learned what you wanted them too. Remember your hiring humans not robots.