Printpack Reviews | Glassdoor

Printpack Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jimmy Love

Pros
  • Great company with awesome benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are solid for the most part with good 401k match and bonus program, though health benefits are average (in 4 reviews)

1. "Pretty Positive"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Printpack as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly great people, great pay

Cons

Mislead about my internship, boss was overly critical

Advice to Management

Spend more time on your internship program

2. "Maintenance Manager"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Newport, TN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Newport, TN

I worked at Printpack full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company that treats their associates well. Recapitalization has ravaged the older plants resulting in the loss of a skilled work force

Cons

The loss of family values that guided the company for so many years. Over investment in bad ventures straddled the company with much debt.

Advice to Management

Not wise to reduce head count and close facilities while expanding an already heavy people count at Corporate.

3. "Machine Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Printpack full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, overtime, co workers, machines are new

Cons

management, forced overtime, benefits, HR

"Expected vs Actual"

Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Printpack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The primary upsides can be split into 3 areas:

1. If you are looking for a place with good employees Printpack has them. The people there were polite, approachable and helpful during my time there. I had no problems getting along with my fellow coworkers.

2. The benefits the company offers are great too. They have changed overtime but that is normal in businesses due to the changes in laws.

3. The company offers several training opportunities that range from your specific location to corporate operations. The training opportunities all offer whoever takes them the chance to enhance current skills and/or learn new skills that can be used later down the road.

Cons

There are several areas that the company needs to work on as with every company but here are the most noticeable ones.

1. Employee accountability needs to be put at a higher level. Throughout my time with the company there were several times where an individual or a department would make a mistake and instead of addressing the issue it was swept under the rug or the blame was pass onto someone else. At times the lack of accountability came across as management showing favoritism towards one side vs. the other

2. Communication between different areas needs to be more fluid. Many departments had the mentality that any information that they had was for only them, even though it affected more than just that department. Some department incurred more work because the information that would have prevented it wasn't shared at all or wasn't shared in a timely manner

3. With decisions better foresight should be used before putting them into action. Companywide there were multiple backlashes that occurred from poorly advised decisions and by the pitfalls were addressed the damage had already been done.

4. Employee fairness needs to be a bigger part of the company culture. Employees who have more experience and have proven themselves should not be overshadowed by those who haven't.

5. The management style did not inspire unity amongst departments. It should be team atmosphere with everyone working towards a common goal but the management style made most situations feel like it was one department vs. another.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions/issues that your employees bring to your attention. Don't assume that just because you don't see the issue that it isn't there. Also take the opportunity to test employee suggestions instead of writing it off because you feel you know more than they do.

Show your employees that you appreciate the work that they do. This doesn't always have to be monetary, but more and more work can't be continuously piled on employees with the expectation that the proverbial pat on the back will be sufficient recognition

"Lack of Diversity"

Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor/Accounting Lead/Accounts Payable Specialist in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Printpack (More than 10 years)

Pros

Longevity and It's a job that will help provide for your family. Most of the companies are in rule areas.

Cons

Pay scale and lack of diversity. Less than 10 percent minorities in upper management.

Advice to Management

Lack of opportunities ....for women and people of color.

"Great job but too many layoffs"

Former Employee - Finishing Clerk in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Finishing Clerk in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

Great opportunity. Great benefits. Decent hours. Chance for overtime if you want it.

Cons

The 3-2 shift. Its a tough shift to work. Management could have been better.

Advice to Management

Need fairness to all employees.

"Been able to learn a lot working on different machines"

Current Employee - Press Assistant in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Press Assistant in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Printpack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people and being able to earn bonus every month

Cons

not being able to advance to higher levels

Advice to Management

Always acknowledge the good hard workers who are always willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

"Good company as long as you keep your head down"

Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Printpack full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Printpack Associates are some of the best people I have worked with during my career. A majority of the people in the company are intelligent and professional. The benefits at the company appear to be deteriorating as time goes. I expect the bonuses will be the first to go.

Cons

The company's associates in upper management with experience over 15 years tend to mute instead of encourage any voice that might make the company truly exceptional. As was mentioned in earlier posts, keep your head down and don't try to stand out. Most positions are filled based on who knows who, and less on experience and ability. Work life balance in some departments is a joke.

Advice to Management

Spend some time on the plant floor to find out what is really going on.

10. "Family Values Missing"

Current Employee - N/A in Prescott Valley, AZ
    Current Employee - N/A in Prescott Valley, AZ

I have been working at Printpack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company to work for, with great benefits. If you work hard it pays off with promotions, raises, good evals. etc. I enjoy working for Printpack, and I am greatfull to be a part of this company.

Cons

I am not sure why this company does not involve family at all, except for once a year at the Christmas Party? Most large companies have picnics, and a variety of other family oriented gatherings through out the year! I really do believe that I and others would not be aware of so many affairs going on with married employees, dating single, or other married employees! if we had family times so that every one could get to know one anothers family members too! And it might make it more difficult to do that to a family member that you have met and see what a nice person they are! Also why dont we have a no dating policy with employees or with-in, the company, Some in Mgmt. are unaware that this is really out of controll! Family Morals, Values and Respect is so important!
    Please read my coments above, I am really trying to help, with this and it is and has been a hidden crises for several years!

Advice to Management

"The Love Family is great but the companies upper level management leaves lot to be desired"

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Most of the employees at Printpack are good ethical people that work with a high sense of ethical values and the desire to help others. I have amny frinds at the company which I still keep in touch with eventhough I left many years ago. In general I enjoyed the many years I worked there and the work was very satisfing. If you are the type of employee that just want to keep your head down and not create waves this is the place for you. If you are looking to make a difference and are willing to speak up look elsewhere.

Cons

Althought the Love family owns the company there is a core of upper management that actually runs the business and they believe its theirs to do as they wish. Many in this core group will break rules and show favoritism to those few that are willing to praise them for their terrible business decisions. There is a rampage sense of entitlement where managers thing they work as "Microsoft" or "Apple" and employees or other business must bow to their managerial demands. Although this message sounds biased there are were toomany instances where management behaved unethically just to protect their own self interest.

Advice to Management

Dennis, remember what your father stood for and what he want Printpack to be. Clean house and get rid on those few terrible apples that are spoling the rest.