Prisma Health Midlands Registered Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

Prisma Health Midlands Registered Nurse Reviews

Updated Sep 17, 2019

3.1
Prisma Health Midlands President and CEO Chuck Beaman Jr. (no image)
Chuck Beaman Jr.

"Palmetto Health was a great company to work for. They showed appreciation to their employees"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Columbia, SC

I worked at Prisma Health Midlands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a great working experience for skills

Cons

Depends on your direct manager

Prisma Health Midlands2018-06-08
  2. "Ok Place to Work"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time

Pros

Get experience as a new nurse

Cons

Management, patient-nurse staffing is terrible

Advice to Management

Make work hours flexible for your nurses

Prisma Health Midlands2019-09-18
  3. "good"

Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time

Pros

flexible shifts, good company to work for

Cons

not much growth room

Prisma Health Midlands2019-07-20

"Room for growth"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited opportunities. Nurse to tech teamwork = positive.

Cons

Poor Nurse to staff ratios on Med Surgs floors with high acuity patients. Management

Advice to Management

At a critical time we are all going thru due to nurse shortage it should be all hands on deck. Management basically refuse to get on the floor to help staff.

Prisma Health Midlands2019-05-11
  5. "Health Care alacarte"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I worked at Prisma Health Midlands full-time for more than a year

Pros

teaching facility, credit union, employee discounts, employee benefits and retirement benefits, hardworking and caring team members, great cafeteria food, great physicians and nursing staff, opportunities for advancement, tuition reimbursement

Cons

recruitment team act as gatekeepers, parking, noncompetitive pay compared to other area hosp, high patient acuity, meticulous electronic charting, repetitive huddles, over focused on satisfaction surveys, healthcare served up like tourism and hospitality industry

Advice to Management

middle management micromanagers, show empathy for employees, lead by example not in word only, pitch in to help when your units are understaffed afterall, and most importantly support and stand by staff, be more proactive in the recruitment process instead of allowing recruitment to call the shots

Prisma Health Midlands2019-04-21
  6. "Avoid"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time

Pros

There are none that exist here

Cons

Too many clipboard nurses work there

Advice to Management

Start helping and pay more

Prisma Health Midlands2019-03-28

"RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My coworkers are lifelong friends.

Cons

There are too many to list. I am a long term, recognized employee that has received many awards from staff, management and patients. There are awful things going on here. The alert line is used on staff as a way to retaliate or get innocent staff into a lot of trouble. Back stabbing is at an all time high. More and initiatives get added to my job duties and I can’t take care of my patients. After nearly 22 years, I am looking elsewhere. Also, other nicer places are paying nurses more.

Prisma Health Midlands2018-09-12
  8. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company is big enough were if you have not found you niche yet and end up in a position that you don't like you can change after 6 months. Sooner if you know before you are off of orientation. They have campuses all over the midlands and upstate now that they have merged with Greenville, so if you are looking to move and stay in South Carolina there are a multitude of possibilities. Always remember the grass isn't greener on the other side. It's just a different pasture. I have met some of the greatest people I've had the pleasure of knowing here!

Cons

I wanted to work for Palmetto Health because I believed in the vision. Which is to be remembered by each patient as we care for their families as though they are part of ours. However, the company needs to start taking care of their employees. For as great of an investment they keep saying these other hospital systems are, there hasn't been a pay increase in 5+ years. New nurses coming in now get paid more than I do. The benefits are subpar. Nurses has access to little education outside of the mandatory training aside from paying for CEU's yourself. Unsure of other campuses, however parking at the Richland Campus is horrible! I have been to the Baptist & Parkridge campuses a few times and have never had issues. Just like many other hospitals, floors are understaffed and the demands management keeps putting on them keeps getting greater and greater with less support, supplies and time. Security is no longer part of the hospital and is managed by an outside company. They have no idea where anything in the hospital is, they all do certain aspects of their job differently and by no way do I feel safe at all. This is a Level 1 Trauma Center, where GSW's and assaulted victims come daily. It is absurd that our own security can't seem to find their way around the hospital.

Advice to Management

Managers should start taking care of their staff. Staff literally will bend over backwards to get their job done and are abused. LMC is opening a new hospital soon and will have many positions opening.

Prisma Health Midlands2018-09-10

"more cons than pros"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time for more than a year

Pros

- co-workers are awesome - current nurse manager easy to talk to about concerns - healthcare benefits

Cons

-short staffed -cannot ask for PTO the week of a holiday (even if it's not your assigned holiday to work) -cannot cash out PTO value when you leave the hospital system -vesting of retirement is 5 years -some unit based policies vary from hospital policies -no raises and pay is lower (even if additional certifications are gained) -charting system is not efficient (Cerner)

Advice to Management

- provide incentive for your employees to want to become better/gain certifications in their respective areas without having to do a lot of paperwork - can't always ask for staff to do more with less (support/staff/supplies) and expect great patient care - kind of disheartening on your first day to see you have to be with the hospital for 22+ years just to park on the first level of the parking deck - don't ask for employee opinions if you don't plan on doing anything with the feedback. Your employees will feel like you don't care about their views.

Prisma Health Midlands2018-08-23

"It's not worth the tears working for this job"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Midlands full-time for more than a year

Pros

The actual position is my dream job! other than that, there is nothing satisfactory about this company

Cons

lack of respect from management, lack of accountability from management, unrealistic expectations and RN/patient ratios, understaffed, under paid, mismanaged.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees handsomely for working their butts off, and stop promising them things that you cannot follow through on. you are losing good employees due to your mismanagement

Prisma Health Midlands2018-08-05