Prisma Health Upstate "no one" Reviews | Glassdoor

Prisma Health Upstate Employee Reviews about "no one"

Updated Jul 18, 2019

3.4
Prisma Health Upstate CEO Mark S. O’Halla (no image)
Mark S. O’Halla
Pros
  • "Good benefits, nice insurance, organized(in 25 reviews)

• "Many co-workers that have worked for GHS for decades(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have come across no downsides working at GHS(in 18 reviews)

• "No one cares that nurses are carrying a 6:1 ratio for high acuity patients, most of the time with no CNAs(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "no one"

Return to all Reviews

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Upstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are awesome!! People, diversity of the environment. Great education program, provides a huge opportunity for networking. Caring, works well with the community

Cons

Good old boy system happens a lot here. No recognition for completion of advanced education. Promotional opportunities don't exist. Jobs are posted as a formality, no one else is considered when jobs are posted. Their minds are already made up.

Advice to Management

Do as you say you will do and don't ask others to do something different when you are not willing to do it yourself.

Prisma Health Upstate2016-01-21

"Reasonably well run Academic Medical Center"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Upstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the staff, non-clinical, are proficient at what they do. The mission of the organization. Can’t speak to the clinical staff. Talent and I/S recently mined the employee population for potential EPIC analysts to support Midlands EMR project/integration. I have to give credit where credit is due. Though I am not sure this exercise actually lifted up any employee out of lower position. They did still... accept outside candidates ultimately.

Cons

Retirement plan needs work, personally coming from that industry, having been a broker and sponsored plan consultant. Whoever the 3rd party advisor is has done you a disservice in fund selection and the matching percentage is a laughable 3%. Paying the matching out in one end of the fiscal year lump sum is highly disadvantageous for the employees. Look up dollar cost averaging. The HR and Comp people are inept... as they would help to drive the retirement plan decisions, the below market pay and questionable title restructuring (recently happened May 2019). There are many inept people that have been with the organization for some time or are internal, “well no one better applied”, hires. They can’t grasp basic financial performance, cost analysis, or logical operations of the departments they are managing. What this means for the business people who aren’t the department leaders, but consult with these “leaders”, is there is quite a bit of hand holding and fighting the resistance of “we dun it this way forever” mentalities.

Advice to Management

Rework the retirement program. Look at your health plan. Lots of large systems offer no cost plans to their employees. The employee clinic cost is a joke, if it supposed to protect your workforce and vital employees. $20 a visit is well over the threshold that a lot of your hourly employees can afford. Your comp program is not competitive, so sub executive director roles will always suffer from people who are... not quite qualified, half in, or ambivalent. You can perform the same roles in finance and tech sectors for 75% to 200% more in comp, with bonus and stock. You are not a university system so don’t price your total comp and pay at their level, because your other benefits aren’t on their level. E.G. an 80k salary at USC or Clemson is work 75-100% more than the same salary at Prisma Health/GHS/Midlands.

Prisma Health Upstate2019-07-18

"Only stay because of my coworkers"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Greer, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Upstate full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love my coworkers and the small atmosphere of my facility which is one of the outliers from the main campus

Cons

No one cares that nurses are carrying a 6:1 ratio for high acuity patients, most of the time with no CNAs. Nurses are drowning at the outlying facilities but receive calls daily asking us to come in and work. Home life balance is non-existent. Many are looking for new jobs that provide a safer working environment

Advice to Management

Get more FTEs approved for nurses and CNAs. Nurses only get paid for one job but often we do two.

Prisma Health Upstate2019-03-04

"WATCH OUT!! ALWAYS Look Over Your Shoulder!!!"

I worked at Prisma Health Upstate full-time

Pros

Room for advancement. Largest healthcare system in area. Good benefits

Cons

Varies by department, but the Department Management staff I worked with were backstabbing, cut-throats who were in it for themselves and no one else. You could not trust anyone, including your co-workers, because of our Management Staff. They're all smiles an loving to your face but WATCH OUT. You'll get thrown under the bus in a heartbeat!!

Advice to Management

When you realize you've hired a bad Manager/Direcgtor/etc. - get rid of him/her asap. The overall DAMAGE poor Management does to GHS is much worse than keeping a poor performing manager in place just because you don't want to have to go through the timeconsuming hiring process.

Prisma Health Upstate2019-01-11

"GHS is an overgrown, bloated bureaucracy in which individual employees are expendable."

I worked at Prisma Health Upstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good insurance, discounts at several local businesses

Cons

The organization does not attend to the needs of employees well enough, good luck getting a question answered about your benefits or PTO; every time I needed something I was bounced around from office to office as though my question was the hot potato no one wanted. I don't believe the company has any ill-will toward employees, only that it's a natural consequence of growing so large that the value of each employee... (and respect they receive) is going to drop. Specific to my department, which was more outreach oriented and non-medical, I was under a manipulative, two-faced supervisor who praised my performance to my face but was dishonest and harmful when an actual conflict arose and I needed support.

Advice to Management

Treat employees more like assets and less like pawns.

Prisma Health Upstate2017-02-15

"The one word I can think of to describe the current state of GHS is dysfunctional."

I have been working at Prisma Health Upstate full-time

Pros

Good people to work with at the patient care level and direct supervisors. Used to be a place that offered stability but that all appears to be changing.

Cons

Mid to upper level management is absent at best maybe better described as lacking leadership or direction. They are too focused on becoming the biggest system in the area. Several major PLANNED expenses have come and it's as if no one had planned for them. Once again, here they are in a financial crisis after spending money like Congress. Not too many years back staff went 3 years without merit increases. The last 2... years they have capped merit increases at 2 %. Now they are scrambling to cut where they can because they've over spent again by millions...on a planned computer system change that has need scheduled for years!!! How is that even possible? Private sector managers would be fired for such poor planning. GHS has once again been up to what it does the best, spend money and employees will again be the ones to lay the cost! Millions and millions have been spent on things that don't even affect the patient, but the first thing they always cut is employee benefits and staffing. Bottom line, GHS spends money on what they want and then climbs on the backs of their employees to pull them out of the hole. On top of poor financial planning, any serious problems reported at the clinical level go up the chain and are never addressed. In my many years with the system I don't ever remember seeing such low morale and apathy. It's very clear from the inside the only concern with GHS leadership is simply to become the biggest at any cost, not the best interest of the patients or the community.

Advice to Management

They're not going to listen anyways.

Prisma Health Upstate2016-03-27

"Mixed signals in the IS group"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at Prisma Health Upstate full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very welcoming and genuine. The company seems to value diversity and healthy living (which is nice, since it is a hospital). PTO very generous, and salary was very competitive (if you have the right degrees, certifications, etc.)

Cons

Information Systems group is a mess. They recently layed-off 30 people, so everyone is constantly watching their back, and no one shares knowledge (so that they will maintain their value). A number of directors and high-level IS leaders were brought in from a Florida hospital system, where they had previously been dismissed. They are trying to make GHS like Health First in Florida, instead of seizing on the... positive elements that already exist in the company today. No real processes and no consistency in how to get things done from one day to another. IS group is easily 10-15 years behind the times in technology as well as process.

Advice to Management

Don't sell people on what you wish the company would be - tell them what is it so that it's not a shock when they arrive and immediately want to get out.

Prisma Health Upstate2014-06-13

"Nepotism"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greer, SC

I have been working at Prisma Health Upstate full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay,

Cons

If you are not someone's old friend or best friend then you get stuck with the jobs and hours that no one else wants.

Advice to Management

Grow up and be fair.

Prisma Health Upstate2014-01-03