Private Prep Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 23, 2018

4.9
Steve Feldman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Part-Time Pay with Flexible hours"

Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at Private Prep part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hourly pay, perfect for someone pursuing further education. Directors are very nice and there is a large and interactive support system.

Cons

Long commutes and may have to drive in traffic, not many others

2. "Amazing organization and fantastic people"

I have been working at Private Prep part-time

Pros

Many tutoring companies are in it solely for the money, but Private Prep stays true their core mission of education and inspiration.
    The directors know you well and really care about your clients. They will do everything to help you and your students succeed.

Cons

Nothing! Slightly less personal touch for tutors as the company grows but still an amazing organization to work for.

3. "Way better than freelance tutoring (or tutoring for other companies)"

I have been working at Private Prep full-time

Pros

-flexible work schedule (skewed in the evenings with time open in the summer)
    -friendly, progressive company culture
    -open communication w/ senior staff & admins & others
    -opportunities for growth, annual raises
    -growing & innovating company

Cons

-health insurance is ok
    -no 401-k matching

Advice to Management

aim to expand rather than cut benefits

4. "Private Prep allows for growth"

Current Employee - Tutor and Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor and Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Private Prep part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Private Prep is a place where they assume best intentions, and if you make a mistake, you can own the mistake, fix it, learn, and move on, rather than be berated or belittled for making an error

Cons

Sometimes the management teams are not entirely communicative with each other and uncertainty about scheduling and priority can arise.

5. "A Culture of Caring"

I have been working at Private Prep (More than 3 years)

Pros

Private Prep allows me to feel cared for and in turn, I am able to provide top-level service and support to my clients. I love that Private Prep appreciates that life is a juggling act and allows me to have a work/life balance that is highly sought after. I feel fulfilled on so many levels; having a meaningful career and the ability to spend quality time with my young children.

Cons

Working from home is a blessing but takes some time to get used to especially if you came from a traditional office.

Private Prep Response

Feb 23, 2018 – Head of Brand

Thank you so much for your this honest and complimentary assessment. Is there anything specific you have found to be helpful to create structure while working from home?

6. "The best tutoring job I've had!"

I have been working at Private Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are able to teach multiple things and have flexibility in your schedule, you'll work as much as you want. Resources are solid and directors are always there if you need help. Fun work environment. Solid pay.

Cons

Can be long days, not a typical 9-5 job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

7. "An encouraging and caring environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Private Prep full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The organization, from the top-down, has a welcoming and encouraging environment. Progression is very possible and communication is open. The best part is there is little micro managing and you are free to complete your work as you please.

Cons

Little micro managing does lead to instances where guidance is not there all of the time.

8. "Supportive community for a solo job"

Current Employee - Tutor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tutor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Private Prep full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Even though the tutoring is 1 on 1, they do a good job of keeping you in the loop and making you feel like part of the team. I like to communicate often with team members and my directors. The pay structure for full time works well for me, with a possibility to bonus once you reach a certain number of hours. It's a flexible job where you get to make your own schedule as long as you are hitting your goals.

Cons

Since it's a growing company, some of the benefits are not what they could be with a larger company (401k matching, low premium health insurance).

Private Prep Response

Feb 23, 2018 – Head of Brand

Thank you so much for this feedback. We are continually exploring ways to enhance our HR benefits so that we can meet the needs of growing team.

9. "PP Super Fan"

Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Private Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for several tutoring companies, and Private Prep is by far the best one. Here, it's really clear that it's student first. This isn't a scheme to make profit from desperate parents or a place where tutors feel easily replaceable. I have tons of resources to help my students, including online tools to track their progress. There are colleagues on hand to help you deal with all types of student obstacles so that you can adjust your methods to each situation. I constantly rely on support from the larger PP network, and this has really paid off - my students from this company continue to make incredible progress towards their goals. Students aside, I feel I've made great leaps in my own abilities working here. PP is dedicated to training it's tutors (myself included) so that they are functioning at the highest level. Then, they provide you with further workshops and support so you find yourself growing faster in your own abilities. Lastly, PP also fosters a community -- regular happy hours and book clubs make you feel connected in an otherwise quite isolating profession. My best friends are my fellow teachers and even my boss!

Cons

The downsides to PP are intractable with the decision to tutor full time. Your hours tend to not overlap with your friends with normal 9-5 jobs, and even if you work quite a bit (and they pay you quite well hourly), you have to be careful with your money, especially since school breaks provide gaps in your income.

"A truly incredible workplace!"

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Private Prep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working for the company for over 3 years, and I have so many positive things to say:

(1) Private Prep cares deeply about the professional development of its employees, and provides ample opportunities for growth. PP holds frequent (and optional) professional development activities on a wide range of topics: executive functioning, common core math, test-taking anxiety, etc. I came in as a math tutor, but thanks to the training I've expanded my capabilities (which translates to more students), and learned several new methods / perspectives that I use consistently to help my tutees. I started out as a part-time employee, and when I made the switch to full-time the directors were very supportive and immediately matched me with students to fill my schedule.

(2) The company ethos is kind and inviting. Both the founder and managing partner are extremely nice and approachable, know and respect everyone in the company, and are always available for guidance. Throughout the year, Private Prep holds fun events for its employees: a chocolate factory tour in Brooklyn, grilled-cheese night at the founder's apartment roof-top, dinner at the managing partner's apartment, bowling, Yankees games, and a fantastic holiday party-- to name a few. Not only are these events a blast, they are a great way to meet fellow employees in a structurally fragmented workplace. I have met several good friends through the company, even though we never actually "work" together.

(3) Benefits are great. Considering full-time employees don't really work a full 40+ hour week in most cases, the benefits are very competitive. Company health insurance, travel stipends, phone stipends, etc. are nearly on par with what you would expect at a larger, "conventional" 9-5 company. They don't match 401k contributions, but do have 401k options for long-term employees.

(4) The company prides itself on enabling tutors to pursue other activities and professions. Several actors, musicians, post-grad students, etc. support themselves by working at the company full-time. Part-time employees with other day jobs are allowed flexible hours to bolster their income with evening and weekend tutoring sessions. Having worked at PP in both capacities, I've experienced firsthand the company's desire to help tutors pursue their goals.

Overall, I couldn't be any happier working at Private Prep! I don't have firsthand experience at other tutoring companies in the city, but I suspect there are few that are comparable in terms of workplace support, training, happiness and flexibility.

Cons

As a consequence of having so many employee resources, I suspect the "cut" they take from hourly rates is a bit higher than at some other companies. However, the rates are still quite competitive, especially after a year or two.