Private Prep Reviews

Updated Oct 12, 2020

4.3
Private Prep Founder and Managing Partner Steve Feldman (no image)
Steve Feldman
  1. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Academic Coach

I have been working at Private Prep part-time

Pros

Great training opportunities Potential for more responsibility Great work-life balance

Cons

Hours can be crazy, but company respects when you are willing to work

2. COVID-19

"Unprofessional at best"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Private Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can actually make an impact on students

Cons

I was hired on a contract that had granted me a minimum number of tutoring hours over the course of the year. This hour quota was never met as I never received enough students. After 4 interviews and a rigorous/lengthy (more than a month) onboarding process you'd think they would want to give me students if they spent that much time and effort to hire me. If I didn't need the money the lack of students would not have been a problem but this job that was supposed to be theoretically full time was in fact part time at best. I was forced to look for other employment in order to make ends meet. When I put in my two weeks notice after getting another full time job, I received a lot of unprofessional remarks and backlash from my supervisors. I was told that it was my responsibility to follow through with these students until the end of their testing process, which would be months after I wanted to terminate my employment. I should not have been guilted and mistreated for following the termination clause of my contract to the letter. I was simply not getting paid enough to be working nights and weekends on top of a full time job. Private Prep is an at will employer meaning that either the employee or the employer can terminate employment at any time with or without a reason- So why was it so difficult to quit this job? I didn't appreciate being guilted for what seemed like a staffing problem. It can't work both ways: Either there I should have more students(hours of work) or someone else should be happy/eager to take the additional hours. I certainly felt mistreated and would not recommend anyone seek employment at Private Prep.

Continue reading

"Not amazing, not absolutely terrible"

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Private Prep part-time

Pros

Sick pay, good resources to use in your sessions

Cons

You do most of the work yet get less than half of the money they make from each of the sessions. The staff acts like middle school girls- very cliquey and indirect.

4. "Great job if you're looking for very flexible hours"

4.0
    Current Employee - Academic Coach

I have been working at Private Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're looking to work then they have plenty of students to provide you. They have a really in-depth almost year long training program and continued support for your professional growth. I feel very supported by the staff!

Cons

You end up driving A LOT, and that time is not compensated.

Continue reading
  5. "Company that Takes Advantage of its Part Time Employees"

2.0

I have been working at Private Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely people, fantastic tutoring resources

Cons

The infrastructure of the company is a mess. There is a lot of required work (writing summaries after lessons, communication, reviewing materials, taking workshops, and MOST of all - travel) that isn't compensated.

6. "Great Part-Time Pay with Flexible hours"

Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at Private Prep part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great hourly pay, perfect for someone pursuing further education. Directors are very nice and there is a large and interactive support system.

Cons

Long commutes and may have to drive in traffic, not many others

7. "Amazing organization and fantastic people"

I have been working at Private Prep part-time

Pros

Many tutoring companies are in it solely for the money, but Private Prep stays true their core mission of education and inspiration. The directors know you well and really care about your clients. They will do everything to help you and your students succeed.

Cons

Nothing! Slightly less personal touch for tutors as the company grows but still an amazing organization to work for.

8. "Way better than freelance tutoring (or tutoring for other companies)"

I have been working at Private Prep full-time

Pros

-flexible work schedule (skewed in the evenings with time open in the summer) -friendly, progressive company culture -open communication w/ senior staff & admins & others -opportunities for growth, annual raises -growing & innovating company

Cons

-health insurance is ok -no 401-k matching

Continue reading
  9. "Private Prep allows for growth"

Current Employee - Tutor and Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Private Prep part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Private Prep is a place where they assume best intentions, and if you make a mistake, you can own the mistake, fix it, learn, and move on, rather than be berated or belittled for making an error

Cons

Sometimes the management teams are not entirely communicative with each other and uncertainty about scheduling and priority can arise.

10. "A Culture of Caring"

I have been working at Private Prep for more than 3 years

Pros

Private Prep allows me to feel cared for and in turn, I am able to provide top-level service and support to my clients. I love that Private Prep appreciates that life is a juggling act and allows me to have a work/life balance that is highly sought after. I feel fulfilled on so many levels; having a meaningful career and the ability to spend quality time with my young children.

Cons

Working from home is a blessing but takes some time to get used to especially if you came from a traditional office.

Private Prep Response

February 23, 2018Head of Brand

Thank you so much for your this honest and complimentary assessment. Is there anything specific you have found to be helpful to create structure while working from home?

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 English Reviews