KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Private Prep Reviews

Updated Oct 18, 2021

Found 28 of over 31 reviews

4.3
Private Prep Founder and Managing Partner Steve Feldman (no image)
Steve Feldman

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,873

959 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Jul 19, 2021 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible hours -Competitive Pay -Great Directors/Employers -Care about their employees -Care about the process for students/families

Cons

-Competitive Pay, but still take a large portion of pay -Families can be difficult or demanding -Often a large commute to families' homes

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company - advocate for yourself!

Jun 21, 2021 - Instructor/Private Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours - Private Prep essentially lets you create your own schedule, although the hours are a bit odd since you need to be available when students are available (weekdays from 3-9, and weekends all day). You also have to maintain a minimum availability per week, usually 2 weekdays and 1 weekend. Competitive pay - while you won't be working a 40 hour-per-week job, the salary is comparable. Great students - Private Prep will set you up with your own roster of students. There are definitely times of the year that are busier and less busy (summer, not so much, fall and spring are great.) Hands on training process - there is currently a 3 month intensive process where you are paired with an experienced tutor who is there to support you as you navigate the company and start off with your students. Benefits for salaried employees - Salaried employees with a 600 hour contract do qualify for healthcare plans and 401k benefits.

Cons

You will need to advocate for yourself - Private Prep does tend to undershoot people's hourly rates, but they are open to negotiation. It can take a while to get students - usually you start off with only a couple for the first few months. Once you prove yourself, you will start to get more students. There is little career advancement - Private Prep does have internal teams and support staff that you can apply for, but turnover isn't very high. They do offer annual raises and bonus pay for salaried employees, but there isn't a ton of room for advancement beyond that. Diversity - Private Prep is not particularly diverse, although it is taking steps to correct that.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company with part and full time opportunities

Sep 17, 2021 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great place to work. I tutor a few hours a week for them and love how it is flexible and how I get to develop a relationship with the student and parents, while Private Prep manages the intricacies of tutoring/business/etc.

Cons

There is a lot going on at the company that may not be relevant to a specific tutor. Have to advocate for yourself if you want more students.

4. 4.0

Fine

Oct 18, 2021 - Senior Tutor in White Plains, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility of scheduling, particularly early on

Cons

The job gets no respect and can be a trap

5. 5.0

Tutoring at Private Prep

Jun 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of independence and freedom to schedule students when it works best for you, great management staff and very supportive directors

Cons

Not many cons to think of!

6. 3.0

Hourly tutor

Jul 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great students, flexible hours, remote opportunities

Cons

Some people on the management side seem to be inept at dealing with certain issues

7. 5.0

great company

Apr 4, 2021 - Tutor in South Florida, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, awesome bosses, awesome training

Cons

no cons that i can think of

8. 3.0

Lots of travel

Feb 17, 2021 - Academic Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can set your own hours.

Cons

You have to travel to clients without compensation. Long training process. No guarentees of clients.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Unprofessional at best

Oct 12, 2020 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can actually make an impact on students

Cons

I was hired on a contract that had granted me a minimum number of tutoring hours over the course of the year. This hour quota was never met as I never received enough students. After 4 interviews and a rigorous/lengthy (more than a month) onboarding process you'd think they would want to give me students if they spent that much time and effort to hire me. If I didn't need the money the lack of students would not have been a problem but this job that was supposed to be theoretically full time was in fact part time at best. I was forced to look for other employment in order to make ends meet. When I put in my two weeks notice after getting another full time job, I received a lot of unprofessional remarks and backlash from my supervisors. I was told that it was my responsibility to follow through with these students until the end of their testing process, which would be months after I wanted to terminate my employment. I should not have been guilted and mistreated for following the termination clause of my contract to the letter. I was simply not getting paid enough to be working nights and weekends on top of a full time job. Private Prep is an at will employer meaning that either the employee or the employer can terminate employment at any time with or without a reason- So why was it so difficult to quit this job? I didn't appreciate being guilted for what seemed like a staffing problem. It can't work both ways: Either there I should have more students(hours of work) or someone else should be happy/eager to take the additional hours. I certainly felt mistreated and would not recommend anyone seek employment at Private Prep.

Continue reading
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great job if you're looking for very flexible hours

May 29, 2020 - Academic Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're looking to work then they have plenty of students to provide you. They have a really in-depth almost year long training program and continued support for your professional growth. I feel very supported by the staff!

Cons

You end up driving A LOT, and that time is not compensated.

Continue reading
Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 Reviews

Private Prep Reviews FAQs

94% of Private Prep employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Private Prep 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Private Prep to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Private Prep Job Seekers