ProBuild Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Builders First Source is a taste of 1987 from a technology perspective (in 9 reviews)

• Good folks to work for, however the new upper management seemed to make many costly mistakes (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great OPerations Manager"

Former Employee - Crane Operator in Garner, NC
    Former Employee - Crane Operator in Garner, NC

Pros

Monday - Friday
    great pay.
    fun people to work with

Cons

not well structured
    no care for employees
    general manager lack of knowledge, learning and listening abilities

Advice to Management

Promote Operations manager to General manger.
    Get structure and promote from within

2. "Extremely poor"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Dolores, CO
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Dolores, CO

I worked at ProBuild (Less than a year)

Pros

Would not recommend to my worst enemy FIND DIFFERENT JOB

Cons

Worst management I've ever seen no safety enforced

Advice to Management

stop treating good workers like crap and get of your high horse

"Stuck in the 1980s"

Pros

The people are willing to add their skills and grow the company. The enthusiasm is strong and the challenges are real.

Cons

The new owners, Builders first source, don't see the need for this new technology called the internet, are regressing the company back to typewriters, fax machines and rotary telephones. They won't see this review.

Advice to Management

Retire the senior management and let their grandchildren take over already.

"IT Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Support Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ProBuild (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with the organization for 15 yrs and it was very hard to leave. Great people, relaxed environment. Management cared about their people. Benefits were decent and we had a 401K match.

Cons

Leadership instability and unclear career path in some departments. Change was constant and getting answers to what was going on was not very easy.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and learn from the mistakes of previous leadership. The people in the field working with your customers should be top priority try to keep them in mind when making decisions. If you take care of them they will take care of your customers and make investors happy.

"All Depends"

Former Employee - IT Person in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Person in Denver, CO

Pros

Good pay and opportunities to advance. I was offered training and other development opportunities. I was also able to get pay increases for my team.

Cons

Lots of turnover, including upper management. Always concerned out restructuring and layoffs. Operating sites not on board with corporate IT strategy. Constantly changing priorities.

Advice to Management

Stability, especially in the upper ranks would go a long way to improve employee morale. A consistent message and plan with regard to IT strategy is a must.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ProBuild (More than 5 years)

Pros

very laid back, work without someone standing over you. Okay work / life balance, monday - friday for the most part. Benefits are ok

Cons

Do a lot of work with no credit and very little money. No support from upper management , its a good stepping stone, but not where to stay for long term

Advice to Management

Get out to the stores/yards and really see whats going on.

"Replenishment Planner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ProBuild full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company was full of optimism, with goals and ambitions for market dominance, I felt like I was part of a new company on the verge of being a market leader. There were bright, helpful people and the opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons

After the buyout by Builders First Source, all that optimism is gone. BFS is run by grandparents who haven't the slightest idea what to do with this "new fangled" internet, with these "upstart" kids talking about "big data" and "connectivity".

Advice to Management

Retire the senior management and let your grandkids take over. The 1970s are not the way to run a business in the 21st century. If you refer to your ordering system as "Online" you're in trouble.

"Inside Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ProBuild (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility to move around the country with locations throughout the United States.
    Competitive Pay
    Company Phone Provided
    Decent Benifits

Cons

Lacking Direction
    Poor Individual Support/Guidance
    Culture can be a bit abrasive...

Advice to Management

A cultural change needs to be made throughout this company, racism, hate, bigotry, etc.. they have no place in the work place

"Customer Service Tech, Installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Gloucester City, NJ
    Former Employee - Installer in Gloucester City, NJ

I worked at ProBuild (More than 8 years)

Pros

People I worked with were great. Enjoyed working on my own, solving problems and getting the job done regardless of the circumstances. My supervisor had a high approval rating of my job performance. Our customer service team ALWAYS got the job done

Cons

I started at Probuild during the Strober-Probuild acquisition in, 2005. Good folks to work for, however the new upper management seemed to make many costly mistakes. After 10 yrs. on the job, I was laid-off by Corporate in Denver. However if it were not for the housing crash in 2009 to 2014 perhaps I may still be there.

Advice to Management

Keep your good employees around...

"Great Experience, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Human Resources Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at ProBuild full-time

Pros

I loved working in such a professional work environment. I learned a lot of the corporate world.

Cons

I was asked if I would be willing to take on a section of the business for the entire company. At the time I felt comfortable with my work, so why not show them what I was made of? It was so overwhelming (the amount of work, not the complexity) that I was unable to keep up with my regular tasks at work and caused me to make more and more mistakes or at least not get things done. They fired me even after I was staying late by 2 hours most days and hardly ever asked to get overtime. I just wanted to complete my work. I was one of the hardest working employees and it came as a shock when I was let go. The following weeks they started firing 5+ year employees and fast. A lot of the people I worked with were let go shortly after I was. Apparently the company was being sold, but they didn't tell anyone this.

Advice to Management

Be straight up with your employees. If your company is being sold and that's why you're getting rid of people, be honest with them. It can really do a number on their self-esteem.