ProSight Specialty Insurance Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2021

Found 79 of over 84 reviews

2.8
ProSight Specialty Insurance CEO and President Larry Hannon (no image)
Larry Hannon
Pros
  • "Employees' well-being is ALWAYS a top concern for management and the company culture is like none other I have ever experienced(in 6 reviews)

• "Overall is not worth the damage to your health and work life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Obnoxious sociopath upper management - you will be ridiculed and screamed at if you do not drink the kool aid(in 5 reviews)

• "Forced to work weekends and long hours(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Jun 9, 2021 - Senior Helpdesk Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Great Medical + Great Flexibility/WFH and personal life balance + Diversity is embraced

Cons

- Growth could be better

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee

There is something wrong.

Apr 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO decent (but not generous) pay. During COVID, people are allowed to work from home.

Cons

The current environment is not pleasant. Many people are leaving, even the ones you believed were in it for the long haul. At first, management seemed to think the rash of resignations was the usual post-bonus blip. No one was worried about it snowballing into something else. But now, it’s clear that the resignations continue and the count is much higher than anything in the past. Whatever it is, it’s taken on a life of its own. Privately, many people across departments are willing to say they are looking. When those people leave, at least we are not surprised. What surprises me is when people that claim to be ‘lifers’ leave. A while back, I asked someone I thought well of if he was planning to stay. He told me he was, and he said it with such conviction that I really believed him. It gave me confidence because I viewed him as a competent person, one that was well thought of. Not too long after that conversation, he quit. I don’t blame the people that leave. The workloads are unrealistic and the more people leave, the higher the workload for those that stay. Some of the people leaving weren’t the best, so maybe that’s all for the better, but when well-thought of SKILLED people leave, that’s a gut punch. At first, I thought people were leaving because of the acquisition that is happening, but I don’t think it’s that anymore. People are unhappy here and the more people leave, the unhappier the rest of us get.

10 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unqualified personnel in leadership roles

Apr 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co- workers were very nice. Interesting work, nice office, some nice perks- happy hours, Pru seats, special office life events.

Cons

People promoted with no supervisory skills. Successful work unrecognized unless you were one of the chosen few. Colleagues awarded me numerous times as they were aware of the impact I made . There was no real plan for the role I was hired in, my manager had no people skills let alone supervisory skills. This manager was gone soon and no one replaced him for several months. I was trusted to work on my own and went above and beyond in hours and in creating new processes for my ‘unit’. I felt appreciated by my peers as they relied on me and came to me for assistance. Upper management was blind to this. I trained people who knew less than I did and were in a higher position. The company seemed unstable as I saw people fired and leaving left and right. As the provider for my family I got nervous and did not want to work somewhere not only so unappreciated but at a place that if upper management on a whim could decide you or your contributions were no longer of value. I gave up a supervisory role at a company to come here. I was approached by them based on my reputation. Thankfully I left and was able to readily gain employment at the same rate based on my work and the bridges I have never burned. Even when I left PS like a fool I put in long hours during my last 10 days to school those left behind and tie up loose ends in my files. For what? Who cares? That’s just me and I thought I would have at least gotten a thank you card!! My co-workers did take me out though and I still enjoy their special friendships today.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stay Away!

May 19, 2021 - Claims Specialist in Morristown, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prior great salaries and bonuses

Cons

Unrealistic claims pending, micromanagement, yearly goals set is unattainable

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company

Apr 12, 2021 - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, fair,energetic environment, fun

Cons

Too much work for smaller team

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Loved my team but the company needs work

Nov 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some really great people work here. The pay is also good for being out of the city. Depending on what team you worked on, you got some great management and coworkers.

Cons

Recently, I was laid off by ProSight and I don’t want my review to seem to bitter about that. In fact, I have been wanting to review for a while but never felt like my job would be completely safe if I had. Truth is, I really loved working here and would have wanted to stay with the company despite its many flaws. I want address those flaws for HR/Management to make improvements and for future hires to get a true picture of the company. ProSight, like other insurance companies, tends to be a bit old fashioned. To succeed you should be willing to play golf and befriend the right crowd. Although they claim to be performance based, it seems like they value harder work for the right stakeholder over smarter work to benefit future company goals. Like other’s have pointed out in their negative reviews, ProSight has some some core issues that need to be dealt with before they can be the company they want to be and claim they are. Culture There were truly some wonderful aspects to the culture but too often “cultural fit” was used as an excuse as to why employees didn’t succeed. HR and Management could have taken time to listen to employees and address concerns to grow the culture from ok to great but missed out on my opportunities. They let the flaws of the company fester and blame others instead, which lead to wonderful people leaving the company. As a public company they took some odd steps in addressing culture as well. Any surveys that were sent out were strictly on the record and never anonymous so it was always difficult for employees to feel safe to address their concerns. They also never sent out a yearly survey broadly reviewing the company, any surveys tended to be smaller with not completely but slightly, leading questions. Management One thing I’ve noticed is that management styles differ greatly at ProSight. I worked with a manager who was wonderful and not only wanted to see you succeed, but would actively and proactively gave you the tools to navigate that success. Many other departments didn’t have this luxury, I’ve seen some managers who were very hands off, others who micromanaged, and other teams you would see working 60+ hour weeks consistently to meet arbitrary deadlines. I think ProSight could really benefit for setting a standard management expectation for the company as a whole. Another thing I’ve noticed is that managers seem to get tenure. They are forgiven for many inadequacies that a lower employee would have been let go for and ProSight rarely gets rid of employees who reach this level. This was highlighted with the lay offs. From what I’ve seen, rather than trying to strategically reorganize to save more money and lose less jobs, ProSight chose to get rid of many individual contributers. HR The HR team didn’t function like any other company I’ve seen. For diversity & inclusion and women’s initiatives, instead of taking on the work, HR implemented two employee groups that were cherry picked for fit. Many who volunteered for the inclusion groups… were in fact not included. This team must have had the highest turnover of the company, with many of their employees not even lasting a year. Any time I had a benefits or employment concerns I never knew who to get in touch with and ended up getting bounced around before I could get an answer. I still don’t know what the role “VP of People” within HR is really supposed to be doing or how an underperforming marketing director got moved into that role and survived the lay offs is also a mystery.

11 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Mostly Pros, though some cons

Oct 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many of the poor reviews mention work/life management, but post-covid, I would have to say that the company has shown a real caring for their workers well being, and have tried to set up programs to help those that have more stressors in their life. I've been impressed with management and reach out. Their is a strong insurance knowledge base in the company. Benefits are pretty strong.

Cons

I think the company could embrace technology more. It's truly a meeting culture, and it leaves little time to get actual work done. I'm not sure that I see true career paths available. I'm afraid of what will happen when we all return to the office. I'm hoping they fully embrace work from home, permanently.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Stay Far Away

Feb 3, 2021 - Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Literally none. They try to get you in the door from a high salary and an "unlimited" vacation policy - its all BS.

Cons

This place is a joke of a company. Stay as far away as you can from it. No work life balance. No career movement unless you are deemed a *favorite*. HR team is a joke and a half. CEO got knocked down from his position and then they recently got bought out - must have really been going bankrupt.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

If you are bored with insurance come to ProSight

Dec 8, 2020 - Manager in Morristown, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Insurance is always happening at ProSight. So much to learn and opportunities to get out of the underwriting processing box.

Cons

It’s a roller coaster so hold on tight!

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0

Out of touch - Stay away

Jun 3, 2020 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Profit-first company means you might end up with decent comp but even that has faded away and is reserved for Sr. Leaders only. Bonuses are done behind closed doors, everything is nebulous. including PTO, so Sr. Leadership can grab as much for themselves as possible and blame others for any issues that might arise.

Cons

It's unapologetically a profit first company (all over the earnings call and websites). This means you are not the top priority. It's that simple and it is so insanely out of touch. They load you up and have you crank out work until you give up, then they fire you and find someone new. Turnover at this company is crazy and people literally just disappear Growth and development, HR support, manager or executive support is non-existent and is almost a joke at the company. They just lean on 'own your career' as a way to protect themselves. Not recommended for someone who wants to be a team and part of something great. You'll just end up being a disposable income earner for the execs until you burn out. The company is insanely out of touch with how to help, support and grow employees. I would strongly suggest staying away. Spent a few years there stressed out and treated really poorly and only really realized this once I left and joined a normal, caring company again.

14 people found this review helpful