Procter & Gamble Reviews | Glassdoor

Procter & Gamble Reviews

Updated December 19, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work - life balance is embedded in the culture of the company with lots of opportunities for regular or occasional flex work possibilities (in 383 reviews)

• Working with P&G is like playing in the Olympics (in 469 reviews)

Cons

1. "Warehouse line worker/packer/ loader"

Current Contractor - Maintenance Technician in Union City, GA
    Current Contractor - Maintenance Technician in Union City, GA

I have been working at Procter & Gamble as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Kept me busy which is a plus

Cons

Temp job and I need a perm job

Advice to Management

Watch more closely to make sure everyone on line is keeping up

2. "intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Intern - Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work and great pay / benefits.

Cons

Very stressful. Sometimes rewarding but not thanked enough.

Advice to Management

Find a better work-life balance.

"Dishonest and Con Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Brands & Art of deceiving people to buy premium packaged junk

Cons

This company claims mountain high of its principles and values but this is just lip service. In being principle oriented it continuously deceives all stakeholders.
    Lacking no shame, they shed of 35% of workforce and top management gave itself 40% hike in compensation for 10 years of under performance.
    Too many "useless" Associate Directors to Presidents and Vice Presidents wasting company's money on expensive business trips and thereby also creating a culture of sychophancy in managing agenda for visits and reviews.
    Suffocating bureaucracy of endless input providers on any project.
    Meaningless diversity politics from the top to achieve women, minority quota % without any respect to merit.

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair. You guys have sold yourself for the greed of money.

"Horrible company to work for"

I worked at Procter & Gamble as a contractor

Pros

flexible hours
    is the only pro I can think of

Cons

Management is horrible, No one is helpful, pay is horrible, they say they will hire you in but never do

"Do not work for manufacturing"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free products once a year.

Cons

Pay is below standard.
    Rating system is flawed.
    One manager stressed data manipulation in order for numbers to look good.

Advice to Management

Management has no idea what goes on in the entry level. They say results matter, but what they really mean is people who can talk the best and manipulate the numbers the best for their presentation.

Management does not understand data analytics. Start paying more for top talent. You get what you pay for.

Succession planning is a joke.

"Long hours, incompetent management"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Procter & Gamble (More than a year)

Pros

They buy you dinner if you work past 7. (which is often)

Cons

Leadership, Co-workers, Vision, Formal business attire, Marmon

"Extremely Political & stressful culture"

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary. Diverse culture.

Cons

Your career is completely dependent on your Manager. If you are unlucky to have a wrong manager, there is no way for you to get out of the situation. Your work performance is never enough, your progress depends on how your Manager is projecting you. Extremely unhappy and stressful culture.

Advice to Management

13 quarters of continued degrowth is a result of a culture where politics is given preference to performance. It is time to look within.

8. "contract Mechanical Designer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Procter & Gamble as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Obviously a lot of people like working for P&G, or are at least okay with it. But in my opinion it carries all of the overbearing process, procedure, bloat, and bureaucracy that such large companies come with - that they can never seem to streamline once they reach a certain size and introduce it.

Cons

Being a large company, P&G has developed many procedures and practices that are inefficient, flawed, and even broken. In this day and age of shared data and common data repositories, they are doing many tasks in a disconnected way and are far behind smaller companies I had worked for over a decade earlier.

Cannot create part numbers or CAD files for commercially available off-the-shelf items. You must submit a request to a third-party contractor to do it for you, by completing a database form for technical information relating to the item, while also providing technical or spec sheets from the manufacturer, and often the CAD model. Any corrections to errors for these types of items must also be submitted to the same third-party contractor, by providing nearly all of the same data. The contracting group I worked for had to estimate the amount of these types of items they may generate per quarter and receive budgeting for that set amount. Submitting corrections ate into the set amount, so that I never saw an error item request corrected in the year I was there (even if glaringly wrong). Also, a new request took too long to be processed in time for a design release, so the design was released (yes, that's right, RELEASED) with a phoney place-holder CAD model and part number.

When part numbers are created, PDM will assign one number, ERP will assign a different one, and then there is a third "smart" number to "aid" in identifying where on a machine the part will exist (this third number is not used by all business units across P&G). Three (3) indentifying part numbers for the same item.

When a part number needed to be added to the ERP system, code letters had to be placed in the CAD meta-data to signal to the ERP contractors that a number had to be created in ERP. The naming convention is scrutinized at this point (fine), but values such as overall L, W, H and weight/mass, and material have to manually transcribed between CAD and PDM so that they are available to the ERP contractors, instead of having CAD and PDM automatically communicate such data between themselves (and ERP). Which also means this data does not update if changes occur. Then there is the further inefficient use of the code letters in the meta-data to flag you that your submission requires corrections, and then that you have made the corrections and are resubmitting.

Revision control and dissemination of revisions was downright broken. Locking-down (or "freezing" or "baselining") a drawing or design package is not the final word. Drawings can be unlocked with little effort and further edited under the same revision. People can only access a drawing (even if released) if they have access to the given project it was designed under or released under (not guarunteed to be the same), and they seldomly seemed to. Instead, they relied on "publishing" a drawing or design package, where an easy-access structured drawing package and BOM is saved off. However, it is only a snapshot of the design package at that time, and the "published" package is not updated even if there are any changes within it, unless funding is approved to do so. P&G people would come to us to print out or email whatever drawing or BOM they needed because they didn't appear to be able to access it, or didn't even try. Cannot revise a CAD assembly unless every item under it is locked-down. This is even true for reference geometry (if someone is revising a junction box mounting plate on a frame your referencing for your machine guarding design).

Despite having a parts list in CAD as a natural side effect of building a CAD assembly, parts lists had to be exported into Excel (and then to PDF) for purchase of the material, once again leading to errors if the CAD assembly is changed and the parts list is not re-exported. When doing a release, commercially available off-the-shelf items cannot have their PDM or ERP part numbers used, instead a lengthy description of the item must be provided, including manufacturer and their identifying part number. And, despite having a bill of material in ERP, this method was used to generate the lists of material for purchase rather than generating directly from ERP.

Attempting to do where-used searches in the PDM system did not limit itself to current revision where-used, but included historical where-used also and you couldn't tell what was current and what was historical. I was told there was no way to filter the search. So, you have to check the current BOM's for every where-used instance in the report to see if the current revision still used the part in question. VERY inefficient.

In total, a large majority of their CAD management and support, CAD design and drafting, PDM/PLM operations/management/support/training are outsourced to third-party contractors. To accomplish any engineering work that included commercially available off-the-shelf items, ERP entry and update, and PDM work would require interfacing with at least three other contractor groups beyond my own. I do not know if P&G would even be able to handle these aspects on their own if they suddenly had to. And as a final example of a broken, bloated, bureaucracy: when interfacing with one database I found a functional problem, and attempted to use the "report a problem" link, only to find that it didn't work. As it was an off-site, "another contractor" run database, I couldn't turn to local IT to report it. I dug up the best suitable contact email address I could find and contacted that general email with the initial function problem report and the not working "report a problem" link. A few days later I got an automated email response that I did not have permission to send emails to that email address. That was my end to that effort, and I just ignored what I found instead.

Advice to Management

I can't speak toward P&G management, because as a contractor I never really interacted with them. Most of my contact was through my on-site manager with the contracting company.

"Opposite Policy"

Former Employee - Technician in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Technician in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Procter & Gamble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits received from day one.

Cons

Extremely racist. If you do not know someone that already works there, you're screwed. Your benefits are given to you from day one, but are not allowed to use a sick day the first SIX MONTHS! Please don't waste your time in Iowa City. The pay is not worth your misery.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with employees & know what is going on.

10. "Not a good place for contractors"

Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good company to work for if you are a permanent employee. Some seem to work hard and some regulae hours. I think this is comparable to many corporations.

Cons

I worked long hours like a 22 hour day then needed to come in the next day. I was scared that I would get into a car accident. I work around the clock and am amazed at how haywire the system I am working in is. I seem to be given an contract for a job which is really tough. I have little support, no documentation and am told to hurry up. Even if full timers are responsible the contractor will be scapegoated. I was told several times I was behind even though I was waiting on a P&G team to finish work.

Advice to Management

Contractors are real people too. I hope the job marker improves so people like myself can be free to find a better opportunity.

Showing 104 of 5,283 reviews