Procter & Gamble Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2017

Scientist

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work - life balance is embedded in the culture of the company with lots of opportunities for regular or occasional flex work possibilities (in 383 reviews)

• Working with P&G is like playing in the Olympics (in 469 reviews)

Cons

"I left P&G as a Senior Scientist, learned from the best marketing company in the world"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Mason, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent career advancement system, excellent salary and profit sharing, they only hire the best of the best

Cons

Too much emphasis put on race and gender during advancement discussions. Forced ratings system is unfair

Advice to Management

Do away with the forced ratings system.

"Great company to work for so long as you get along with your immediate manager"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Mason, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great base salary, competitive health benefits and 401(k) options. Vacation time is minimal until you have 5 years/are vetted, work/life balance is hit or miss depending on your immediate manager. Flex life benefits overall are a win. Ethical company even with lay offs - those laid off include significant notice, good separation packages.

Cons

Forced bell curve performance management system is entirely administered by your manager and your 2-up manager...you better manage up very well or else you will stress in this organization. Work/life balance is ± depending on how your immediate manager adopts corporate policy.

Advice to Management

Culture deficits are creeping into nearly every business unit due to middle management micromanaging and not enabling their people. Middle management also needs to walk the flex-life benefits more consistently. The forced bell curve performance management system is outdated - even GE/Jack Welch the originator of such systems have since abandoned it, I highly encourage HR and Management to take a hard look at how the organization handles ratings.

3. "Lab Rat"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Scientist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is a priority

Cons

too many layers of management

"Abysmal Advancement Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good name to have on your resume.
    Not a terrible place to work if you just want to run out the clock until retirement.

Cons

The advancement opportunities are so bad that half the organization is only promoted one time. Many low performers allowed to hang around forever, clogging up the talent pipeline. Company still desperately clinging to past glory.

Advice to Management

Cap career tenure at 20 or 25 years. The intellectual calcification of senior staff in all functions is a major drag on growth and morale.

"I still like to work here despite right-sizing and feeling a bit uncertain about P&G's future."

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I just happen to have great management. I am recognized for my contributions. I am challenged and I have fun doing what I do.

Cons

Whenever I had bad management in the past, they did eventually move on. P&G is a big company that is still trying to find out how to grow and succeed.

Advice to Management

I can't help management because I do not understand the issues and what can be done at the corporate level. I guess they are getting paid pretty good for trying to get it right.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intense technical mastery, amazing opportunities to move within company, and systems in place to help employees grow.

Cons

Large company so slower moving projects (more roadblocks).

7. "career employee 20+ years"

Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great place to work, lots of potential to move and get a job that fits your interest

Cons

big company, moves a bit slower than some

Advice to Management

none

"The Real Problem With P&G"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist Group Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist Group Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very intelligent, capable employees. Great benefits. Remarkable opportunities to learn. Generally employees are empowered and trusted (although sometimes trusted too much).

Cons

P&G has for a long time had a crisis of ethics. The Company principles and values statement itself is very well constructed and admirable. But it isn't followed. Moreover, it is regularly ignored. Part of the problem is incentives. Due to the rating systems whereby one is strictly rated against departmental peers, loyalty and work to advance a department is rewarded more than work to advance the Company's interests. One might think departmental interests and company interests are one in the same, but often they are not. Departments champion specific projects, often in competition for funding with other departments and projects. Yet there is little to no real incentive to cooperate among departments. As such, Directors strive to advance "their agenda" at the expense, sometimes, of the agenda of others.

This leads sometimes, to very serious problems such as covering up mistakes and censoring criticism that might reflect badly on departments or the way a department works for the greater corporate interest. Moreover, my experience was that it is very likely that one will literally be punished for pointing out a weakness or shortcoming in a departmental effort even if making that shortcoming known was literally the only way to advance the greater business interest.

Of course, these problems have solutions. Higher level management can put in place very specific incentives for inter-departmental cooperation to achieving measurable higher-level corporate goals. It is not hard to do with a little thought. Sadly, during my time at P&G the idea of inter-departmental co-operation was given 'lip service', but was never made seriously actionable.

It was fun to work at P&G for many years, but in the end I did not find it to be a company that came anywhere near to realizing it's stated principles and values.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

9. "Benefit"

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health and retirement benefits

Cons

Stock value is decreased, retirement plan is stock based

Advice to Management

Encourage risk-taking and be more innovative

10. "Great Interview"

Current Employee - Scientist in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Scientist in Mason, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The interview consists of a site visit, where in you do a presentation followed by meeting several people 1-1. Its a good way for them to judge you, but also for you to know if this is where you want to work.

Cons

The job application sheet is very brief, with no specifics at all. So, you have little understanding of what is expected from you when you join.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent