Professional Culinary Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

1 review

5.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Culinary since CIA"

Former Employee - Executive Chef Instructor in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Chef Instructor in Campbell, CA

I worked at Professional Culinary Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great environment freedom to lead students through classic and contemporary innovative cooking methods and plating along with a fast moving curriculum that was the best and most effective teaching environment I have ever seen in Culinary Education anywhere. We had some of the best Hobby Classes and enrollment that I led in order to promote our professionalism and quality! Loved that place and enjoyed every minute of time mentoring students and helping them grow as professionals in a tough industry.

Cons

Bad Management, over-extended on future projects and actually a case of embezzlement from CEO President. After that the school while suffering horribly from bad accounting and lack of enrollment, the company began to hire cheaper not so qualified instructors and all the fun became a chore. No one wanted to manage school operations so the chefs were not truly able to teach or keep control of the discipline of students. The school had a hard time managing store room and waste due to Chefs trying to manage Purchasing and Receiving… just unqualified, When they put our weakest chef to became our leader. Horrible outcome with manager of sous-chef status allowed to become Chefs Dean was something he was totally unprepared for and caved at the first squeak from management or students. Too bad it was a great school and it was finally bailed out for pennies on the millions that was used to make this institution one of the best of its time. Great Crew of Chefs and people all let go by 'clean house' method os International Culinary Center. I hear the sous chef is still employed now as store room supervisor – good place for him and his talent.

Advice to Management

always watch your books - accounting was lost in so many ways... theft alone was not the only reason this great school failed. Hire Leaders that understand staff unity and discipline for students. Retaining problem students and submitting the class to their lack of hard work slows down the achievements of everyone involved. Discipline is key in education. Always protect your Chefs, Staff and Management - a good crew is hard to maintain. But a strong management with true leaders are huge! Sad to see this place close.