Professional Sports Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Jarred Metze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The money is great and unlike most sales jobs, the base salary is high (in 13 reviews)

• Great starting salary for recent college graduates (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, and plenty of room for verbal abuse (in 5 reviews)

• As with most sales jobs the work can get repetitive (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to start and learn"

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great base pay for right out of college
    Young office
    Great incentives if you really work hard
    Management was great and really wanted to help you, inside and outside the office:
    Kevin Bowes - Great boss! He helped me any time I needed it, and pushed me harder than anyone has before. Very energetic and always looking to keep the momentum going in the office. Very hands on. He was a great mentor for me.

Mike Paul - Thank you for everything you did for me, even when you didn't have to. You were always there to help and push me in the right direction.

Cons

Way too many phone calls in one day.
    Micro-management at times
    Don't allow internet access until certain sale amount; when you do get it, they block just about every site, even the ones that can actually help with work.
    Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Great product, but help your salesman by giving them more information to relay to the customers. Don't hide how much are printed, makes the salesmen feel like they are scamming people, when they're really not. It's 2017, sales strategies are different today. It's not the 80's-90's anymore, the smile and dial, ground and pound 200+ phone calls a day doesn't work anymore. It burns out your employees and it's not productive. Utilize the new technologies that are offered in the world and figure out a better and more efficient way to sell print advertising, rather than burning your employees out and making them feel like they're telemarketers. Also, when someone wants to learn more and really rise up in the company, do what you can to help them; it'll help you in the long run.

2. "Trust the Process"

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed base pay
    Management is helpful and wants you to succeed
    Beautiful view from the office
    The best and most helpful co-workers
    Solid benefits
    Paid company outings
    Consistent Hours

Cons

Cold calling
    Generated leads could be better
    Repetitive
    Getting a bonus is hard to achieve
    Advancement

Advice to Management

Kevin Bowes - I'm glad to have had the pleasure to work under you. Always positive and full of energy! You're a great teacher and I'm using what you have taught me in the work place and as a person and applying it in my daily life.
    Mike Paul- In the few times that we crossed paths you always treated me with respect and always had encouraging words and advice to give. I can tell that you truly care about your employees and truly want the best for them.
    Thomas Moore- Being Kevin's right hand man in the Atlanta office I felt like you didn't always get the respect I felt you deserved. You were always willing to help anyone out or solve any problem that would come up in the office.
    Zack Fuller- I didn't know what to expect personality wise when I saw your name at the top of the sales board. I expected you to be impersonal and standoffish to those inferior like myself. To my surprise you were more than willing to help myself and others and happily answer any question that were asked. It's great to see this kind of leadership from someone at the top and someone I truly wanted to immolate.
    It was a great work environment learning from people like Brandon Williams, Justin Fordham, James Esdale, Rush Eskridge, Zoe Walker, and Jonathon Vines. All great at their craft, but better people at the core. It doesn't matter what I do in the future I'll never have the relationships with my co-workers like I did at PSP!

3. "Potentially the worst job ever"

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decently high base salary and ok insurance.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. Some facets of PSP's business are somewhat legit, but many others are at best extremely unethical and at worst in the grey area of legality. I've heard it characterized more times that I can count as a "scam company". I was stunned at some of the things that go on there and some of the "products" that they sell. Extremely high turnover rate and an all around soul crushing job. To succeed at this job, you basically have to be comfortable screwing people over day in and day out. I would seriously rather lay asphalt or work as a janitor than work here. There isn't an adequate adjective in the dictionary to describe how bad this place sucks. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this company.

Advice to Management

Again, don't even know where to begin.

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiter

It is unfortunate you did not have a good experience here at PSP. We are very sorry to hear this. I can tell you that your characterization of our company is not what we typically hear and far from... More

4. "Great place to start in Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start in sales. You learn cool techniques that you will harness forever. I worked there almost 7 years ago. It was a great stepping stone in my career and you learn how to be a savage on the phone

Cons

Boring and repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

too many to list

5. "Loved It"

Pros

Learned so much about how to see and grow myself and wouldn't change anything i learned for the world, great first job out of college

Cons

None, dont listen to the bad reviews, you can make money working here you jus have to be a go getter and make that paper.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, make sure you walk people through what you have to offer so they have a better understanding from the jump

6. "Starter Job - NOT A CAREER"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Draw and Benefits, Decent Training, Nice Building with indoor parking, locations in multiple major metropolitan areas, decent launchpad into a sales career ELSEWHERE.

Cons

If you are Good at the Job and reach it to the level that pays commission (only approximately 5% of Sales people here actually do surpass the minimum and are paid commissions) management will milk you till you are completely drained, then you will be pressured almost daily and systematically forced out the door (so they can keep all of your accounts and pass them to non-commissioned Sales reps)

Advice to Management

Great Sales Reps are not a dime a dozen. Stop fooling yourselves.

Jun 2, 2017 – Recruiter

We are sorry to hear things did not work out for you at PSP. We have dozens upon dozens of long tenured employees who would disagree with your characterization of our sales positions as a starter... More

7. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent base pay
    Management works with you to improve skills
    Relaxed surroundings
    Great Co-workers
    Great benefits
    Paid company events
    Open door policy
    Dress down policy

Cons

Cold calling
    Decent leads
    Decent hours
    Sales program
    Time management

Advice to Management

I had the pleasure of working with Kevin Bowes at the Atlanta location. Despite some of the other reviews I've read on Glassdoor, Kevin was always a pleasure to work for. He provides a relaxed environment in which all he request is that all employees do their job while having a little fun. He is always willing to coach those who are willing to learn. Anytime I wasn't feeling well or just needed a person day, Kevin would always encourage me to "feel better" and return to work when feeling 100%. He makes employees feel appreciated with bi weekly donuts trips from Davinci's which is never a bad thing. The majority of the reviews I've read have talked about ex-employee experiences at other locations, the Atlanta office has a different feel. If you don't enjoy working at the Atlanta office under Kevin then its probably because you don't enjoy doing your job.

"Sham of a company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay when you are getting out of college and living with your parents

Cons

First of all, their sales pitch is full of seedy language that leads people to believe you are with the university or team when you have no relationship whatsoever. They also promise all these opportunities for raises and incentives when its simply not true. They take money out of your sales number for tickets, which slows your progress towards commission, which takes 2 years to get to. They also offer great weekly incentives, which are selling over 12k in a week, and getting a $100 gift card. That comes out to less than one percent commission. That's not how sales jobs work. The managers have their favorites and they are compensated better than people they are pushing out the door. Nobody works here longer than a year because they realize how poorly run this company is. Also, managers talk down to their employees and treat them like they are children. That's not how effective companies are ran. They complain about you being a minute late, but the boss misses at least one day a week.

May 5, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time at PSP. It's unfortunate you felt the compensation was inadequate. We routinely receive feedback that our compensation... More

"STAY AWAY! WAIT FOR ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I DARE YOU TO ASK THEM, HOW LONG PEOPLE STAY AT THIS COMPANY? Pros?? None. Bully type management, their way or the highway, you know nothing, they know all. Make you feel stupid for asking questions. greedy jerks abusing and exposing young business professionals by wasting their time, and not caring about them or their professional growth...they say they do, but trust me, they don't...more fun!! A lot of micromanaging, they will listen to your calls, tell you what to say while you're on the phone, read your emails etc bad pay. Suffocating. Depressing dungeon. Old school managing. No fun at work, just work, work, work! Make them rich, and be happy with your joke paycheck...Hence why nobody stays there past a year. What they do is immoral. They abuse young business professionals, use them, suck their blood, and then throw them away and hire more people that won't last long either. It's a Human Resources scam they have been using for over a decade. If you like an absurd amount of monotonous, mentally draining, robotic, scammish type work, with management who would never want their kids working there and getting paid horrible, this is your dream job!

Cons

Selling a crap product. Nobody wants to buy overpriced PAPER advertising with no ROI...The real reason (and they'll give you a bunch of BS on why they don't) they don't share ROI is because if you told the customer the real ROI, PSP would be out of business. Nobody would buy because it's a terrible investment for them. Scamming poor small business with dreams that won't deliver and giving them tickets to make them forget. A lot of people hang up on you. You're annoying people all day with an archaic product. They pressure you to do everything you can to scam people on your 1st time speaking with them by using outdated tactics to get them to buy...in reality, no business owner is stupid enough to make an impulsive buy with a complete stranger. BUT, they blame YOU! It's 2017! They don't understand it doesn't work like that, especially for paper advertising when everything is going digital. You go there being wishful and couple of days in you realize management doesn't give af about u. You're just another young person they use while they can and either you get fired for bs reasons, or you wake up knowing youre in hell, and with a horrible company, then you're stuck looking for another job while you're mentally drained from the suffering you endure at work.

Advice to Management

LOWER YOUR GOALS AND METRICS! WHEN MOST PEOPLE FAIL TO ACHIEVE, ITS OBVIOUS THEYRE TOO HIGH AND UNREALISTIC MOST OF THE TIME!! GIVE AF ABOUT THE KIDS YOU BRING IN AND SCAM, UPDATE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL! STOP POINTING THE FINGERS AT EMPLOYEES! THE PRODUCT IS CRAP AND SMART BUSINESSES SEE ITS CRAP TOO! I KNOW YOU DO TOO!

"Director of Sales"

I worked at Professional Sports Publications full-time

Pros

Good starting salary and hours

Cons

waste a lot of time building a chain of command. Was only there for 5 months and was let go for not having high enough sales numbers. Saw a lot of turn over while I was there. You have to do a ton of lying to try and find out who the top person is at each company to pitch.

Advice to Management

should be more patient with workers. Selling advertising for a sports team yearbook is a very hard sell.