Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Edward Satell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

1. "A fantastic place to work!"

Pros

Working for PBP has been one of the greatest work experiences i have had. The can-do, go-the-extra-mile and win-win attitudes are evident and the employees have a sense of camaraderie, cooperation and empowerment. Healthy competition keeps the job fun and the employees motivated.

Everyone communicates in a cards-on-the-table manner, solving difficulties in a positive way, and viewing feedback as an opportunity for growth. People enjoy coming to work and feel appreciated, acknowledged and rewarded. New employees are welcomed with open arms and all tools to be successful.

The managers and upper level bosses always make those who work underneath them feel like a critical part of their business. From one-on-one coaching to team building activities, there is an abundance of support in a very positive and easy going atmosphere.

Cons

The cons of working here are very few and far between they aren't even worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your input and are glad you are gaining a positive work experience at PBP.

2. "PBP Rocks!"

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent professional/personal development and training, tons of room for advancement opportunity within the company, great place to "climb the ladder" in management, the values of the company are amazing as well in the sense that we believe in giving back to the community

Cons

Sometimes the company gets a bad wrap, because of the nature of our business.

Advice to Management

Team work and clear, set expectations are a necessity.

3. "Excellent & Friendly"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work for the Catalyst Media Division of PBP and it is a friendly and warm environment to work at. The staff is super supportive. The hours are flexible and the management is easy to work with. The training program really helps you get a jump start on the right track to getting weekly bonuses. The office is comfortable and easy to access. Overall, this is a great company and this division especially is great to work for...I would recommend this job to anyone looking to work hard for what they want.

Cons

You must have superior hearing skills in order to work here...it can sometimes be loud but not in a negative way.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

"Senior management needs to listen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at pbp is the people. They're supportive, friendly, and always happy to help or just chat.

It's also extremely flexible in regards to when you come and go. But flexibility doesn't pay the rent.

Cons

The pay is awful. It's so far below industry standard it's insulting. Some of the mid-level managers have tried to go to bat for the rest of us, but the execs are extremely cheap.

And beware of the founder. He likes to make himself look good by donating to his pet charities, but that generosity disappears when it comes to his employees. Unless he's known you for decades, in which case you can get arrested for one of the most disgusting crimes imaginable and he'll still keep your job for you.

Advice to Management

You need to pay people a decent salary or they'll keep leaving. Listen to your workers -they're sick of your old boys club attitudes.

5. "Catalyst Media - PBP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time

Pros

Fun people to work with. Talking to people on phone.

Cons

Rude managers. They cut you after a couple days instead of telling you how to improve. It's not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Give new employers a chance especially if they give 100% effort

"Decent people, terrible pay, terrible growth"

Former Employee - Editor
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were decent to work with.

Cons

The pay is terrible, the flexibility they offer at time of hiring isn't actual offered and only the execs profit from the ancient newsletters they PRINT.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Your feedback is noted, particularly with regard to your opinion about the pay level for the job you had at PBP. We utilize these reviews on Glassdoor to work on improvements or changes the company... More

7. "Great people, company and culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm currently employed at the HQ in Malvern. The people I work with are great and management truly cares about their employees. I've been here for a while due to the growth opportunities and what I've mentioned above about the atmosphere. What’s best are three things, no politicking, no bureaucracy, lastly - work hard and you'll be rewarded! If you have good ideas, they'll be considered then implemented once tested and proven with positive results. That's a huge plus in my book because you're given the freedom to create your own path while contributing to the success of the company and increasing personal growth.

Cons

The cons I could list are so minor that they wouldn't even impact how much I truly enjoy working here. For example: I'm not a fan of the coffee (others are - Wawa is not my favorite) but it's free!

8. "Working at PBP."

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Good company with opportunities to help almost any company in the world through marketing.

Cons

Strong competition exists for what we do.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize your employees. It is appreciated.

"PBP review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment.

Cons

Salaries are awful and not equal.

Also we can't pay new people a decent salary so we only hire new graduates most of the time who take a long time to train and get up to speed.

Nothing ever changes unless the owner wants it to.

Technology wise we've been in the stone ages forever!

HR doesn't do much to make people respectful of their coworkers' work environment.

Good employees are given more and more work, and ok employees are allowed to coast just getting by doing the minimum and are never fired. The workload is not even.

Little opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay people for the actual work they do and the experience they have.

And compensate people for their dedication and loyalty -- and a wawa gift card doesn't even come close to showing your appreciation. It's insulting and laughable, especially for people who have worked there for more than 10 years.

Listen and act on issues when employees bring things to your attention.

Sep 11, 2017 – Director of HR

We appreciate this helpful feedback. PBP encourages this employee to communicate to HR what the issue is related to your feeling that we need to make people respectful of their coworkers' work... More

10. "Sales"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service & Sales Representative, Data Entry in Wyomissing, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-flexible schedule
    -no weekends
    -helpful management
    -easy work if you apply yourself
    -2 week training program that is helpful if it is your first time doing something like this

Cons

-HIGH turnover
    -Must hit numbers if you get the boot even if you're just having an unlucky day or two
    -Pay could be better
    -Technology is outdated

Advice to Management

Nothing really...Keep working with people to train them to be the best they can be!