Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward Satell

Pros
Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• Stagnate corporate culture filled with mostly aging staff entrenched in their ways (in 2 reviews)

1. "Did not take long at this one"

Current Employee - Marketing in Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wyomissing, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can set your own hours as long as you work at least 50 hours

Cons

Very little pet hour and hardly any compensation for the amount of subscriptions sold.

Advice to Management

Find a way to not take advantage of people that have a good selling advantage and compensate them properly.

Jan 3, 2017 – Business Manager

Employees can set their own hours each week as long as they work about 25 hours each week (correcting 50 stated in review). Nearly 50% of our workforce have been with the company 5 years or longer as ... More

2. "Awful"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Boardman, OH
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Boardman, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours, the people. The people are nice and the hours are flexible. But that is the only thing good about this company.

Cons

Everything else...the companys managers are awful. They come in drunk and pick favorites and everyone else is considered to be crap.

Advice to Management

Change your managers and keep a better eye on them.

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Trainee in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - Trainee in Warren, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of scheduling hours

Cons

Everything else: Noisy, outdated computer equipment, use of cassette tapes to record, unprofessional attitude.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to not chew gum on phone, no flip-flops. Update your equipment, also.

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our entire field operation, including your former location, is receiving a technology upgrade which includes new software and hardware. We disagree on flip flops but agree, no gum chewing on the ... More

4. "Customer Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing good comes from working at this marketing firm, unless of course your a marketing major.

Cons

they will only keep you if you make your sales. If your not pushy, don't apply

Advice to Management

Be more specific during interviews to potential employees that everyone will NOT MAKE IT TO WEEK THREE OF TRANING

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our company sets performance standards during the training period to see who will make a good marketing representative and it can be challenging. Most of our best performers have been with us from ... More

""Let Go" due to an Anxiety Disorder.. what?"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

I am absolutely disgusted and have nothing good to say about this company. Other than you get a flexible schedule and free watered down brown water that they call coffee. Woohoo.

Cons

Meadville management is shady and corrupt. I was on my 3rd day of training and my manager pulled me in for a meeting (which is normal there during training, usually two one on one meetings a day). Before that meeting I had been told how great I was doing and how much potential they saw in me. During this meeting I was asked what I felt I was best at and what I felt I was struggling with so far into the job. I said I was struggling with staying confident, positive and upbeat after continuously being snapped on by secretaries and company executives that we call and try to sell our subscription to. We got to talking and I was made to feel comfortable and I admitted that I had a social anxiety issue and talking on the phone was something I was going to have to work really hard at for this job. But that I was willing to do it. She agreed with me and said that she thought I just needed a fresh start for the day. Since it was about lunch time I asked her if I could step outside for a cigarette and calm down a little bit before I start back up. She said yes and that she would join me. I went outside and halfway through my cigarette she came out and asked me to come back into the office - where I was told the company has decided to let me go because of the issue I have with "talking on the phone".. What!?

Advice to Management

You should probably quit discriminating towards anyone with ANY form of disability. I'm not one to boohoo and whine about my disorder, I've never let it get in the way of holding a job. I was just being honest with the company and informing them that it was something I was going to have to - and was absolutely WILLING to - work on. Technically, Social Anxiety is listed legally as a disability and if I had the money for a lawyer I would be going after this place for unlawful discrimination.

6. "Marketing Rep"

Former Employee - OHIO in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - OHIO in Warren, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

No nights no weekends make your own schedule

Cons

Training was terrible and management was shoddy.

Advice to Management

The job is made to sound easy and then when it's not, the employee is blamed. Ridiculous.

"Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible. Can take breaks whenever you wanted. Can come in late and leave early. Good experience with interacting with people from many different backgrounds.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. Not very accommodating when reading off script. I've lost a few sales because I've decided to improvise on the sales pitch. It's hard to really interact with the customer when you're ready from a script. Poor pay structure. High turnover rate. More than 90% of the people that were part of my training group were gone within 2 days.

Advice to Management

Set goals that can be easily attained by the average employee. Give employees a week grace period when they are not getting results instead of 2 days.

Feb 5, 2016 – Business Manager

We have recently raised wages to help the average employee and to remain competitive in the Bensalem market. Sales can be a challenging profession and people dont make it through the training for ... More

"Company Values Overhaul Needed"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere: schedules, breaks, dress, friendly co-workers

Cons

I preface this by saying I love telephone work but I believe this company is built on deception from its conception starting with Employment Hiring Practices (employments ads) that are misleading; training directives that are misleading i.e., " This is how to lie without lying?"; and a philosophy of "get the sale" yet at the same time by no means are "we selling". I finally left because my conscience of right vs wrong wouldn't let me stay any longer.

Advice to Management

Do a company overhaul based on truth starting with becoming Visible (don't hide your address, name). Don't be deceitful with such things as Codes Enforcement , (i.e., how many people work on any one given day for such things as how many people per building per bathroom), Improve your product so that both management and customer service telephone employees are PROUD of what they are selling, and upgrade your equipment. A recent example of deceit is an employment ad I saw listed under "GENERAL" rather than customer service or sales. This company can only improve.....if they choose too. I've also noticed that folks working out of their "home office" in Malvern, PA have a different and much better view of the company (which is a good thing!) but from a customer service (sales)
    perspective from one of the smaller offices in Pennsylvania, the deceitfulness is overwhelming. I could only stick my head in the sand for so long. This advice is directed toward upper management because they "must" make the changes to affect the whole
    company.

"Let me throw up positivity real quick"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, almost otherworldly. You're given a fair chance at the job. Casual, relaxed, you are encouraged to be yourself.

Cons

It seems like all everyone does is throw up those catch phrases. I couldn't stand it. If you've worked there you know what I'm talking about. It seems so wonderful at first, but then you find yourself repeating those phrases. You are told you're an independent contractor, but you're not. You're being scammed to scam. You have to clock out to use the bathroom. And God forbid you try to occupy yourself while that "rejection machine" (see what I did I used a phrase) rings endlessly. Nobody picked up the phone? That's you're fault for not sending positive vibes into the computer. Your energy is keeping the contacts away, which is another thing, half of them tell you they're on the do not call list. Eventually you come In every day saying "I'm getting fired today". Don't get close to anyone, they'll disappear. And then when you finally get fired, she rips through the office making a big scene and angrily grabs your stuff from your desk and gets it for you, while you stand and watch everyone looking at you while she parades your stuff out. Because you're not allowed back in the office. It's so embarrassing. It feels like communism. And that's a weird way to put it because it's competitive, but you got queen bee, her minions and then the worker drones. And drone on and on and on. Have fun!

Advice to Management

Meh. You believe in it. Keep on keepin on.

Apr 23, 2015 – Business Team Manager

We believe that giving everyone a fair chance and encouraging them to be themselves contributes to our success and we appreciate that you recognized that. As a sales representative, you took on a ... More

"Notice a pattern in the positive reviews?"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule

Cons

Absurdly low pay, poor benefits, myopic leadership, tedious grind of a job for a writer/editor, did I mention ridiculously low salaries for all but the very upper crust? You may have noticed a pattern on the positive glass door reviews ... Most of them don't mention the salary at all. To do so In any sort of positive light would be patently dishonest.

Advice to Management

Please. This CEO wouldn't part with a dollar if it were on fire ... Unless, of course, it is to one of his pet charitable causes that generate ego-stroking PR. His rank and file employees mean less than nothing to him; they are drones to be used and discarded at will.