Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Edward Satell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Editor in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Editor in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, organized company ... great place to learn and grow as a writer and editor.

Cons

They have too much turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

2. "Im stuck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Wyomissing, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of laughs at other people's complaints.

Cons

Lies email have to tell to client bur can't embellish to get the sale. Hypocritical bastards

Advice to Management

Take the heat for what you do. They always make it someone else fault. They pick a fall guy.

3. "TSR"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and flexible scheduling

Cons

I was basically paid minimum wage. It is hard to make consistent sales enough to make rates for bonuses. Not impossible... but your campaigns often switched and if you had an easy time with one the next one would be aweful dragging down your rate for that pay period. As I said it wasn't impossible to make the higher rates, it does happen but it didn't seem consistent enough- so I could only count on minimum wage... or you cut your hours to make your SPH higher - thereby reducing overall hours worked - which didn't really always work either.

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

We have begun to move away from starting new employees at minimum wage. We have recently reviewed our wage structure in our marketing call centers and have begun to raise it as a result.

4. "Asst Editor"

Pros

learned a lot, esp how to write small and powerful

Cons

cold calling very busy people for article ideas. Felt like sales calls

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

Staying connected with our subscribers is critical to the quality of our newsletters and programs. We understand that calling people can be uncomfortable at times, but listening to our customers has... More

5. "Progressive is Progressing"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Narberth, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Narberth, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and small company with a wonderful internship program. Lots of opportunity to showcase skills in an environment that is ready to advance into today's online publications. New CEO dedicates time and energy to create a warm and casual atmosphere.

Cons

Projects are sometimes placed on hold but only because the company is busy transitioning to a more competitive online market.

6. "Fair opportunity to prove value and provide meaningful contribution"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

There is a sufficient opportunity provided for professional growth, there are impressive philanthropic efforts, and there is an effective use of performance metrics.

Cons

The benefits package is sub-par. There is not a designated individual to handle human resources-related questions and particularly questions related to health benefits coverage. This is a major shortcoming.

Advice to Management

Designate an assigned individual to communicate with employees regarding human resources issues and benefits-related issues.

Sep 3, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We have several people designated to help handle HR and benefits questions. If you are located in a branch, contact your branch manager. If you are located in our Malvern headquarters, you may ask... More

"Neutral"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

"Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Management

Take more time to coach your reps.

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the... More

"Business to Business telemarketing"

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Advice to Management

Screen applicants better

"Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

Advice to Management

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.