Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward Satell

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

"If you like boring..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are the type of person that likes to go at work and twiddle your thumbs, then this is the company for you.

Cons

Company is struggling just to be legitimate. It is also extremely boring. On each team, they employ about ten people when it could be cut back to 5. Pay is terrible. This was my first job out of college a few years ago, and if I could go back and work anywhere else, I would.
    No room for growth because everyone that works there has been there forever and like the ability to show up to work and do nothing. They aren't going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Look at the work people are doing. People are getting away with putting in about 25 hours of work a week. Lay off those people, hire people that want to work, and pay them the extra salary.

Oct 24, 2016 – Business Manager

There is always plenty of work at PBP, especially as we are undergoing a technological and digital transformation within our business. Working anywhere can be exhilarating, challenging and engaging ... More

2. "Company in turmoil"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In 2015 the company got a new CEO and had a lot of promise

Cons

Executive team turnover, lack of new marketing ideas

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Tenure amongst our senior leadership is among the highest in our industry. We also have a group of middle managers who have 10 or more years with us as well. As a company, our overall turnover is ... More

3. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linfield, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linfield, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are nice. Everyone works as a team.

Cons

Bombard customers with emails and they call with threats constantly. Raises are very rare. They pile up your work and people work day and nights and it's expected, without pay.

Advice to Management

Recognize the people who work hard. People put their heart and soul into this company only to be let go BC they werent making enough money for the company. Stop scamming and choose a more ethical way of treating your customers.

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our e-commerce business is email driven like any other email marketing organization. Employees receive annual review opportunities where raises are part of the review, many employees also earn cash ... More

"Mind Numbing"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take breaks whenever, free coffee, taught communication skills but really shady

Cons

Negligable bonus (less than $1 for selling $400 subscription), dial tone, yelled at a lot, had to deceive people

Advice to Management

Pay your lower people more, they're the ones who are dealing with all the mean people, $8.10 an hour isn't worth it, don't be shady

"Lame corporate culture, questionable business model"

Former Employee - IT Developer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The IT department where I worked was well managed.
     - Other IT employees are funny, and interesting. Did a good job training newcomers.
     - Sports tickets now and then if you're into that.
     - Relatively low stress and pace because projects are internal, compared to other fast-paced agency style companies I've worked in.

Cons

- You're not going to be on the cutting edge of technology by working in the IT department to say the least.
     - Located in a remote, cultureless corporate park where you'd never find yourself for a reason other than to go to work. Stereotypical cubicle environment.
     - I had a really long commute (almost 2 hrs each way, and they wouldn't let me work 4 10-hour days instead of 5 8-hour days, or telecommute etc.
     - Business model is sooo sketchy and sometimes you get misdirected phone calls from pissed off "customers."
     - Stagnate corporate culture filled with mostly aging staff entrenched in their ways.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexible schedule and telecommuting. Don't have a sketchy business model. Relocate to a city.

Apr 28, 2016 – Business Manager

Listening to employee feedback is important to us and we are happy to hear that you thought your department was well managed and you enjoyed working with your co-workers. We are undergoing a ... More

7. "Baseline Job"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cambridge Springs, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cambridge Springs, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job to maintain, it's something to pay the bills at least.

Cons

Being on the phone the whole time makes for a long day, not good pay.

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and offering us 3 stars for work-life balance.

"Don't let them fire you into quitting!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lax dress code, easy scheduling

Cons

stringent adherence to promised work hour totals, even when holidays close the office

Advice to Management

give employees a break on their contractual hours total whenever a holiday closes the office

Apr 22, 2015 – Business Team Manager

We do have several hour commitment levels that can fit just about any employees' schedule and we try to make scheduling as easy as possible as you mentioned. We agree with your suggestion of giving ... More

"Sad place to work"

Pros

Pros? If you still have a job.

Cons

The owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

Advice to Management

The emperor has no clothes.

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We are very proud to have a stable workforce with over half of our employees having over 5 years of service. In the company's 50 year history we have had only a single layoff, totaling 9 people ... More

"Decent place for entry-level, not much more"

Pros

Profitable company, privately held, not dependent on satisfying shareholders.

Cons

Low pay, very flat structure.

"Questionable business ethics driven by greed"

Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

casual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

Cons

This is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics".
    Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance.
    Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Advice to Management

Change your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay