Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

"Notice a pattern in the positive reviews?"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule

Cons

Absurdly low pay, poor benefits, myopic leadership, tedious grind of a job for a writer/editor, did I mention ridiculously low salaries for all but the very upper crust? You may have noticed a pattern on the positive glass door reviews ... Most of them don't mention the salary at all. To do so In any sort of positive light would be patently dishonest.

Advice to Management

Please. This CEO wouldn't part with a dollar if it were on fire ... Unless, of course, it is to one of his pet charitable causes that generate ego-stroking PR. His rank and file employees mean less than nothing to him; they are drones to be used and discarded at will.

"Scammers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They show you how to easily take advantage of people all over the US by lying, stealing and bullying. A real example of fraud gone wild.

Cons

They haven't been convicted as felons yet.

Advice to Management

You are doing an excellent job posting fake 5 star reviews for a joke of a company.

Dec 16, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We would like to thank you for your 8 years of service. We are disappointed that you left feeling negative about the company as you worked here for so long. Please note that all the reviews, whether... More

"Let me throw up positivity real quick"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, almost otherworldly. You're given a fair chance at the job. Casual, relaxed, you are encouraged to be yourself.

Cons

It seems like all everyone does is throw up those catch phrases. I couldn't stand it. If you've worked there you know what I'm talking about. It seems so wonderful at first, but then you find yourself repeating those phrases. You are told you're an independent contractor, but you're not. You're being scammed to scam. You have to clock out to use the bathroom. And God forbid you try to occupy yourself while that "rejection machine" (see what I did I used a phrase) rings endlessly. Nobody picked up the phone? That's you're fault for not sending positive vibes into the computer. Your energy is keeping the contacts away, which is another thing, half of them tell you they're on the do not call list. Eventually you come In every day saying "I'm getting fired today". Don't get close to anyone, they'll disappear. And then when you finally get fired, she rips through the office making a big scene and angrily grabs your stuff from your desk and gets it for you, while you stand and watch everyone looking at you while she parades your stuff out. Because you're not allowed back in the office. It's so embarrassing. It feels like communism. And that's a weird way to put it because it's competitive, but you got queen bee, her minions and then the worker drones. And drone on and on and on. Have fun!

Advice to Management

Meh. You believe in it. Keep on keepin on.

Apr 23, 2015 – Business Team Manager

We believe that giving everyone a fair chance and encouraging them to be themselves contributes to our success and we appreciate that you recognized that. As a sales representative, you took on a... More

"False reviews get you nowhere"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lax environment and dress code. Annual event to help with 401k questions. Friendly people who genuinely want to work hard and make the company succeed.

Cons

PBP got in trouble in the past for flooding the internet with false positive reviews, trying to cover up their negative feedback. They even went so far as to cover up scandals for illegal behavior within the owner's family. Rather than looking at how to correct a situation and make it better, they scheme as to how to hide and get away with dishonest tactics. The top management are overpaid and cover each other rather than hear solutions from lower tier supervisors. There is no taught leadership, no developing talent, no pride in new ideas - just looking in the industry for what works, hiring an expert to teach them and then getting rid of that talent so they can do it cheaper and without morals.

Advice to Management

Sadly you've tainted enough careers at this point that the feedback from your former employees is coming back to haunt you. Had you done right from the beginning, you likely would have kept that talent and been getting rave reviews. Abandon your current tactics and learn how to be an ethical company that produces something valuable instead of just cheaper, and then reward your workers with career growth, not quarterly cake and ice cream. Sadly I know good people still work for the company but until they rise to power and can make a difference, they will stay locked in to their roles knowing PBP has squandered their talents and limited their futures elsewhere.

May 14, 2015 – Business Team Manager

During your 10+ years here you heard many times that 'if you change the people , you change the company'. That still holds true today and we appreciate that you have recognized your former co-workers... More

"Half these reviews are fake"

Pros

Benefits and paid time off... Thats about it.

Cons

High school gossip all over the place. Mice infestation, period blood all over the bathroom floors and dust about half an inch thick above the cubicles. They tried to clean up a bathroom flooding by putting a fan on the carpet to dry it up... about a year later and this patch still smells of mold. The supervisors and managers are literally in meetings from 9-5 so there is no direction. Whenever asked for direction you are almost shut down and told to figure it out... You are paid a terrible salary while preforming your best. They say they are not bureaucratic, but they are nothing but. If you are not directly making the company money you are expendable during budget cuts (does not matter your position). Employee turnover rate is horrific.

Advice to Management

Listen and be more available to your employees. Knock off the buying of email lists and spamming thousands of peoples inboxes.

"Yeah no"

Pros

None, guess it's something for a resume

Cons

Shady, feel approach is manipulative

"Company Values Overhaul Needed"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere: schedules, breaks, dress, friendly co-workers

Cons

I preface this by saying I love telephone work but I believe this company is built on deception from its conception starting with Employment Hiring Practices (employments ads) that are misleading; training directives that are misleading i.e., " This is how to lie without lying?"; and a philosophy of "get the sale" yet at the same time by no means are "we selling". I finally left because my conscience of right vs wrong wouldn't let me stay any longer.

Advice to Management

Do a company overhaul based on truth starting with becoming Visible (don't hide your address, name). Don't be deceitful with such things as Codes Enforcement , (i.e., how many people work on any one given day for such things as how many people per building per bathroom), Improve your product so that both management and customer service telephone employees are PROUD of what they are selling, and upgrade your equipment. A recent example of deceit is an employment ad I saw listed under "GENERAL" rather than customer service or sales. This company can only improve.....if they choose too. I've also noticed that folks working out of their "home office" in Malvern, PA have a different and much better view of the company (which is a good thing!) but from a customer service (sales)
    perspective from one of the smaller offices in Pennsylvania, the deceitfulness is overwhelming. I could only stick my head in the sand for so long. This advice is directed toward upper management because they "must" make the changes to affect the whole
    company.

"Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible. Can take breaks whenever you wanted. Can come in late and leave early. Good experience with interacting with people from many different backgrounds.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. Not very accommodating when reading off script. I've lost a few sales because I've decided to improvise on the sales pitch. It's hard to really interact with the customer when you're ready from a script. Poor pay structure. High turnover rate. More than 90% of the people that were part of my training group were gone within 2 days.

Advice to Management

Set goals that can be easily attained by the average employee. Give employees a week grace period when they are not getting results instead of 2 days.

Feb 5, 2016 – Business Manager

We have recently raised wages to help the average employee and to remain competitive in the Bensalem market. Sales can be a challenging profession and people dont make it through the training for... More

"TSR"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working on the computer and helping people on the phone that were interested in the newsletter that we were selling.

Cons

I hated when I had to try to persuade them to purchase a newsletter that they really didn't want.

Advice to Management

I was only in training when this position was terminated on me. The only reason that I lost this job was because I couldn't get the business executives on the phone to change their minds and buy a subscription that they told me that they didn't want. I only had been in training for 3 1/2 days. By the way, I had sales on 3 of the 4 days of training.

Mar 15, 2016 – Business Manager

We provide paid orientation and paid training to see if the job is good fit for all new employees. If trainees don't meet minimum performance standards, we believe it is in everyone's best interests... More

"Marketing Rep"

Former Employee - OHIO in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - OHIO in Warren, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

No nights no weekends make your own schedule

Cons

Training was terrible and management was shoddy.

Advice to Management

The job is made to sound easy and then when it's not, the employee is blamed. Ridiculous.