Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated May 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

"If you like boring..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are the type of person that likes to go at work and twiddle your thumbs, then this is the company for you.

Cons

Company is struggling just to be legitimate. It is also extremely boring. On each team, they employ about ten people when it could be cut back to 5. Pay is terrible. This was my first job out of college a few years ago, and if I could go back and work anywhere else, I would.
    No room for growth because everyone that works there has been there forever and like the ability to show up to work and do nothing. They aren't going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Look at the work people are doing. People are getting away with putting in about 25 hours of work a week. Lay off those people, hire people that want to work, and pay them the extra salary.

Oct 24, 2016 – Business Manager

There is always plenty of work at PBP, especially as we are undergoing a technological and digital transformation within our business. Working anywhere can be exhilarating, challenging and engaging ... More

2. "Good place to work long term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly, dedicated employees who work to help the co. keep moving forward with key initiatives.
    Strong values and pleasant environment. Reasonable work hours.
    New initiatives in progress to take PBP to the next decade.
    Good mix of long term and newer employees.
    Managers for most part want to hear your ideas, and they don't micromanage.

Cons

Time off too low. More employees should be able to work from home, at least part of the week.

Advice to Management

Listen more and talk less. Need much faster progress using varied, up-to-date marketing methods. Better support sr managers who have good ideas to grow business.

"Changes are starting to take hold"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

Improved IT infrastructure to build for success
    Open door policies with the managers and willingness to listen
    Executive team is very accessible to the employees

Cons

Could use more vacation days, but appreciate the flexibility in my schedule
    Expand on the benefits a little more

Advice to Management

Continued investment in new strategic initiatives to transition from current revenue streams to new revenue streams

5. "Changes at the top"

Pros

The owner is investing in upgrading technology, in the home office and in the field call centers. Flexible schedules.

Cons

Older technology can be upgraded faster to help with getting work done faster.

Advice to Management

Keep working on technology, back fill some open jobs

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Trainee in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - Trainee in Warren, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of scheduling hours

Cons

Everything else: Noisy, outdated computer equipment, use of cassette tapes to record, unprofessional attitude.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to not chew gum on phone, no flip-flops. Update your equipment, also.

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our entire field operation, including your former location, is receiving a technology upgrade which includes new software and hardware. We disagree on flip flops but agree, no gum chewing on the ... More

7. "Company in turmoil"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In 2015 the company got a new CEO and had a lot of promise

Cons

Executive team turnover, lack of new marketing ideas

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Tenure amongst our senior leadership is among the highest in our industry. We also have a group of middle managers who have 10 or more years with us as well. As a company, our overall turnover is ... More

8. "Solid Company, great opportunity to make a big difference."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PBP is a very solid and stable company. The company is going through a transformation to improve and innovate it's infrastructure. PBP is investing smartly to strengthen it's core business components.
    It's a good time to join this company in order to learn new things and grow within. Senior management is very supportive of new ideas.

Cons

Interior of the building looks little outdated, but I look at it as an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and encourage new ideas.

9. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linfield, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linfield, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are nice. Everyone works as a team.

Cons

Bombard customers with emails and they call with threats constantly. Raises are very rare. They pile up your work and people work day and nights and it's expected, without pay.

Advice to Management

Recognize the people who work hard. People put their heart and soul into this company only to be let go BC they werent making enough money for the company. Stop scamming and choose a more ethical way of treating your customers.

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our e-commerce business is email driven like any other email marketing organization. Employees receive annual review opportunities where raises are part of the review, many employees also earn cash ... More

10. "Customer Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing good comes from working at this marketing firm, unless of course your a marketing major.

Cons

they will only keep you if you make your sales. If your not pushy, don't apply

Advice to Management

Be more specific during interviews to potential employees that everyone will NOT MAKE IT TO WEEK THREE OF TRANING

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our company sets performance standards during the training period to see who will make a good marketing representative and it can be challenging. Most of our best performers have been with us from ... More

""Let Go" due to an Anxiety Disorder.. what?"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

I am absolutely disgusted and have nothing good to say about this company. Other than you get a flexible schedule and free watered down brown water that they call coffee. Woohoo.

Cons

Meadville management is shady and corrupt. I was on my 3rd day of training and my manager pulled me in for a meeting (which is normal there during training, usually two one on one meetings a day). Before that meeting I had been told how great I was doing and how much potential they saw in me. During this meeting I was asked what I felt I was best at and what I felt I was struggling with so far into the job. I said I was struggling with staying confident, positive and upbeat after continuously being snapped on by secretaries and company executives that we call and try to sell our subscription to. We got to talking and I was made to feel comfortable and I admitted that I had a social anxiety issue and talking on the phone was something I was going to have to work really hard at for this job. But that I was willing to do it. She agreed with me and said that she thought I just needed a fresh start for the day. Since it was about lunch time I asked her if I could step outside for a cigarette and calm down a little bit before I start back up. She said yes and that she would join me. I went outside and halfway through my cigarette she came out and asked me to come back into the office - where I was told the company has decided to let me go because of the issue I have with "talking on the phone".. What!?

Advice to Management

You should probably quit discriminating towards anyone with ANY form of disability. I'm not one to boohoo and whine about my disorder, I've never let it get in the way of holding a job. I was just being honest with the company and informing them that it was something I was going to have to - and was absolutely WILLING to - work on. Technically, Social Anxiety is listed legally as a disability and if I had the money for a lawyer I would be going after this place for unlawful discrimination.