Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Flexible schedule"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own paycheck! Make your own hours! Such a helpful management staff! Always makes me feel important!

Cons

No overtime. No weekends. Dated computer systems.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Progressive Business Publications Response

Feb 8, 2017 – HR Manager

We will be upgrading both hardware and software in our branches in the first half of 2017.

2. "Understanding, Amazing, and Family oriented!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Warren, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My 2 managers at my branch and the Regional manager are VERY family oriented, understanding , they work with you on your pay and coach you on how to make more money.

You have opportunity for advancement IF you want it.

They understand the importance of team work and POSITIVE atmosphere. We have fun here, we laugh, we make our sales, we are very close .... I feel like I have my own work family ... that genuinely cares for me ... I've been here almost 2 years and I couldn't ask for a more understanding , sympathetic , great company to work for.

I look forward to coming to work.

They have an open door policy that I like.

The managers have been on the phones and get on the phones, so they KNOW what you are going through when struggling.... they are always there to help and coach... they treat you as if you're important ...

my branch is lucky to have the 2 greatest managers.... it's them who keep us laughing and the positive vibes going and us WANTING to come to work.

Cons

🔹Sure it can get monotonous , at times, but any job can.
    🔹I think the coffee COULD BE A LITTLE stronger lol but it's free so YAY!
    🔹My ONLY con is when the DOL changed the rules on breaks .... I would prefer the DOL to go back to the way it was last year ... but this company NOR it's employees have a say on what the Department Of Labor will or won't do.

Advice to Management

Take some tips from the managers at the warren branch and use them as examples for other branches IF you EVER have a "management issue" .... because warren is 100% LEGIT with amazing management.

3. "Good place to work long term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly, dedicated employees who work to help the co. keep moving forward with key initiatives.
    Strong values and pleasant environment. Reasonable work hours.
    New initiatives in progress to take PBP to the next decade.
    Good mix of long term and newer employees.
    Managers for most part want to hear your ideas, and they don't micromanage.

Cons

Time off too low. More employees should be able to work from home, at least part of the week.

Advice to Management

Listen more and talk less. Need much faster progress using varied, up-to-date marketing methods. Better support sr managers who have good ideas to grow business.

"Changes are starting to take hold"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

Improved IT infrastructure to build for success
    Open door policies with the managers and willingness to listen
    Executive team is very accessible to the employees

Cons

Could use more vacation days, but appreciate the flexibility in my schedule
    Expand on the benefits a little more

Advice to Management

Continued investment in new strategic initiatives to transition from current revenue streams to new revenue streams

5. "Changes at the top"

Pros

The owner is investing in upgrading technology, in the home office and in the field call centers. Flexible schedules.

Cons

Older technology can be upgraded faster to help with getting work done faster.

Advice to Management

Keep working on technology, back fill some open jobs

6. "Solid Company, great opportunity to make a big difference."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

PBP is a very solid and stable company. The company is going through a transformation to improve and innovate it's infrastructure. PBP is investing smartly to strengthen it's core business components.
    It's a good time to join this company in order to learn new things and grow within. Senior management is very supportive of new ideas.

Cons

Interior of the building looks little outdated, but I look at it as an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and encourage new ideas.

"Mind Numbing"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take breaks whenever, free coffee, taught communication skills but really shady

Cons

Negligable bonus (less than $1 for selling $400 subscription), dial tone, yelled at a lot, had to deceive people

Advice to Management

Pay your lower people more, they're the ones who are dealing with all the mean people, $8.10 an hour isn't worth it, don't be shady

8. "Supportive environment to grow"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time

Pros

-PBP offers an encouraging support system and an improvement-oriented workplace
    -Managers will work to be friendly, happy, and encouraging
    -High expectations with a focus on employee success
    -Fantastic management strategy
    -Fantastic training program for new employees

Cons

-High-stress environment, managers sometimes appear pushy
    -High turnover rate (although it seems justified, and new qualified trainees come in and often succeed quickly through a good training program)
    -Bonuses to average paycheck can be hard to achieve

Advice to Management

Work to make your company more streamlined and help your workers achieve their quotas more fairly, work to reduce turnover unless required

"Good company, good people"

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a flexible environment and the people are good to work with. The managers have helped me develop as a writer and researcher, and they're supportive. As a writer/editor, you're also given a lot of autonomy and chance to be creative.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Perhaps focus more on retaining employees that are performing well.

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with; a great deal of autonomy allowing you to share your ideas and collaborate with others; currently involved in a phase which brings employees from various divisions together to discuss and share ideas with each other; great leadership; good benefits; employee appreciation events

Cons

Salary could be higher; also working with older outdated software systems which at times prevent us from performing and providing above average customer service

Advice to Management

Continue to implement collaboration amongst the various departments so that we can gain new ideas, new ways to be successful in our jobs; continuous training sessions; need to improve the technology so we can do our jobs more efficiently