Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated October 11, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Awesome work culture! This company really supports both personal and professional development."

Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In addition to the flexible work schedule, competitive pay, and opportunities for advancement- PBP's core values facilitate an environment I'm proud to be a part of.

Cons

Because of the flexibility of the work schedule you have to be self managed. For some, this can different and challenging from what they are used to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Summer Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA
    Current Intern - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I have only been with Progressive Business Publications for a short time, I can see many positive things about the company. They have a wealth of employees that create a substantial amount of high quality content for their products. They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code. The company is focused on giving back to the community and has a strong sense of corporate social responsibility.

Cons

The Progressive Business Publication brand has been tarnished through an outdated sales process. Even through all of the good things the company does, when you speak to others about who you work for there is typically a negative connotation to the conversation.

Advice to Management

Continue to explore other areas of business to enter into by actively engaging your customers.

3. "Structure, growth and flexibility."

Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the hours. No evenings or weekends. The fact that I am able to grow with the company. They promote from within. The training program is outstanding. A great atmosphere! A very supportive culture. The company knows how important we are. I enjoy coming to work every day. Not many can say that.

Cons

I have never run into any cons that cause me to re evaluate my position here.

Advice to Management

Management has done an outstanding job with everything.

4. "My experience at PBP has been valuable & useful to all aspects of my life"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall office is fun & lighthearted even though it is a sales office. Although it is obviously a competitive environment we all continue to encourage each other even if we are not doing as well personally at the moment. Our branch manager really makes sure that not only work hard but we have fun doing it too. This is my second time working here & I really used the tools I learned here at my other sales job & was successful there as well. When I came back I was excited to continue to learn more & improve on the skills I had originally learned here. I am now looking forward to finding new ways to help the new sales reps entering here to also find success here as well. At all the sales offices I have worked at I never found the same great environment to feel like I was 100% supported like I have found here.

Cons

The biggest challenge working here is staying realistic in our sales goals here. Self-management is key here & keeping your expectations real even if you had 1 great day is the most important thing to remember. The way our schedule & breaks are done here you really have to make sure that you keep your time commitments by self managing your time. I try to remember that even if I am having a bad couple of calls keep plugging away & keep myself in my seat or it will never get better. Also never taking anything that is said during a sales call is also challenging as well. Remembering it is not necessarily you that they are upset with it might just be their day.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep improving on the things that are working here. We have great management who keep us well supported at all times. There is never a time when I feel alone in this job & I know that help just needs to be asked for if it's needed. It would be nice if the base pay was increased a little bit but I do understand that there is always opportunity to make more here by selling more. I do think that raising the sales base salery to a .08 was great not that I am ever that low but it does help take some of the pressure off of striking a even 1.0

5. "A positive environment."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a very friendly atmosphere. There's always plenty of encouragement from Jen and the rest of the management team.
    Plenty of room for growth!

Cons

i wish that the base salary was higher, though i understand that we get bonuses for good performance.

Advice to Management

so nice that the hours are flexible to accommodate life happenings such as appointments, and personal needs to be out early or a day off

6. "Fantastic! A company that really knows how to take care of employees that are willing to work hard and give their best!"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Advancement opportunities; ability to increase your own salary through hard work; supportive staff at every level; dedicated to development of people; very positive environment; on-going training and development

Cons

None really, I mean its a tough job but if you work hard and stay positive it pays off!

Advice to Management

None. Every manager I work with is supportive, knowledgeable and has a true desire to help others do well, just keep doing that!

7. "Wonderful environment to grow in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Management is absolutely on the ball with keeping employee interests aligned with company goals, and there's never a moment where I would question talking to them about anything from a daily conversation to a work-related issue. I was hired after my internship, and all along I have been treated as an equal. There is a very special quality in the social sphere of the company, and makes a remarkably healthy work environment.

Cons

PBP generally has gotten a bad reputation for its telemarketing. All of that is done off-site, and feels very distant from its corporate culture. However, the content of its publications is top notch, and the direction the company is going only promises an even bigger future.

Advice to Management

There should be more offices. Cubes are great for communicating quickly, but it would be ideal to have a sit-down office for each time we touch base.

8. "Found a dimond in the ruff in meadville pa"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

What can I say the benifits the outstand posititive attudues in the office no weekends and flexable hours I work a 2nd job at nts in erie and I got appts and jen is so accomadating by the way meadville is number 1 in sales for the company GO MEADVILLE............

Cons

No cons for working here

Advice to Management

I happen to find the ad on craigslist for this company I said to my a call center in meadville I'm from erie pa I drive 40 miles to and from got hear saw how small of a contact center is and loved it rene who interviewed me was wonderful and jen the branch manager has a. Awsome personality and the rest of the managers back you up the office enviroment is good I got a great sales agent who sits next to me and enouages me to keep gooing thanks to her I'm doing outstanding so for all the negative comments I read about meadville I don't see it and there is no drug use or any of that so a big shout out to jen and the rest of the managers out thank you for helping me grow out of training thanks I love pbp

9. "I Love PBP!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful sales team, good benefits and pay! Flexible schedule and weekends off!

Cons

I honestly can not say that there are any cons for me.. Sure it might have been nice to have more windows and natural light but other than that I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Today was my last day at PBP after being there for almost 2 years. I was so sad to go. Jen Maziarz has been so good to my family over the years and I love her. She is such a wonderful manager with such a strong passion and true love for what she does. The managers are great and the training is top notch. There is a reason Meadville PBP has one of the highest pay up rates in the company-- it is because of our high standard for quality on each and every call, our knowledge and enthusiasm about our products, and our confidence! This is an awesome place to work and I will miss everyone so much!

10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

You can feel the positive vibe from employees across the company. That makes coming to work rewarding which leads to me giving more of myself to the company. PBP continues to upgrade its technology, and is becoming even more data-driven with its focus on analytics and e-commerce. Well-diversified and stable, and has an entrepreneurial feel. We serve many thousands of customers in companies of all sizes across America which relates to the stability. It paid out for profit sharing again this year to employees and seems like it has done so every year going back many years. There is a new CEO and so far he seems to be a good addition for shaping the next phases for PBP. Hours of work are very reasonable.

Cons

Not enough days off provided.

Advice to Management

Reduce bottlenecks in I.T.