Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

""Let Go" due to an Anxiety Disorder.. what?"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

I am absolutely disgusted and have nothing good to say about this company. Other than you get a flexible schedule and free watered down brown water that they call coffee. Woohoo.

Cons

Meadville management is shady and corrupt. I was on my 3rd day of training and my manager pulled me in for a meeting (which is normal there during training, usually two one on one meetings a day). Before that meeting I had been told how great I was doing and how much potential they saw in me. During this meeting I was asked what I felt I was best at and what I felt I was struggling with so far into the job. I said I was struggling with staying confident, positive and upbeat after continuously being snapped on by secretaries and company executives that we call and try to sell our subscription to. We got to talking and I was made to feel comfortable and I admitted that I had a social anxiety issue and talking on the phone was something I was going to have to work really hard at for this job. But that I was willing to do it. She agreed with me and said that she thought I just needed a fresh start for the day. Since it was about lunch time I asked her if I could step outside for a cigarette and calm down a little bit before I start back up. She said yes and that she would join me. I went outside and halfway through my cigarette she came out and asked me to come back into the office - where I was told the company has decided to let me go because of the issue I have with "talking on the phone".. What!?

Advice to Management

You should probably quit discriminating towards anyone with ANY form of disability. I'm not one to boohoo and whine about my disorder, I've never let it get in the way of holding a job. I was just being honest with the company and informing them that it was something I was going to have to - and was absolutely WILLING to - work on. Technically, Social Anxiety is listed legally as a disability and if I had the money for a lawyer I would be going after this place for unlawful discrimination.

2. "Customer Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing good comes from working at this marketing firm, unless of course your a marketing major.

Cons

they will only keep you if you make your sales. If your not pushy, don't apply

Advice to Management

Be more specific during interviews to potential employees that everyone will NOT MAKE IT TO WEEK THREE OF TRANING

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our company sets performance standards during the training period to see who will make a good marketing representative and it can be challenging. Most of our best performers have been with us from... More

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Trainee in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - Trainee in Warren, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of scheduling hours

Cons

Everything else: Noisy, outdated computer equipment, use of cassette tapes to record, unprofessional attitude.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to not chew gum on phone, no flip-flops. Update your equipment, also.

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our entire field operation, including your former location, is receiving a technology upgrade which includes new software and hardware. We disagree on flip flops but agree, no gum chewing on the... More

"Awful"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Boardman, OH
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Boardman, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours, the people. The people are nice and the hours are flexible. But that is the only thing good about this company.

Cons

Everything else...the companys managers are awful. They come in drunk and pick favorites and everyone else is considered to be crap.

Advice to Management

Change your managers and keep a better eye on them.

"Did not take long at this one"

Current Employee - Marketing in Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wyomissing, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can set your own hours as long as you work at least 50 hours

Cons

Very little pet hour and hardly any compensation for the amount of subscriptions sold.

Advice to Management

Find a way to not take advantage of people that have a good selling advantage and compensate them properly.

Jan 3, 2017 – Business Manager

Employees can set their own hours each week as long as they work about 25 hours each week (correcting 50 stated in review). Nearly 50% of our workforce have been with the company 5 years or longer as... More

6. "Decent people, terrible pay, terrible growth"

Former Employee - Editor
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were decent to work with.

Cons

The pay is terrible, the flexibility they offer at time of hiring isn't actual offered and only the execs profit from the ancient newsletters they PRINT.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Your feedback is noted, particularly with regard to your opinion about the pay level for the job you had at PBP. We utilize these reviews on Glassdoor to work on improvements or changes the company... More

7. "Catalyst Media - PBP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time

Pros

Fun people to work with. Talking to people on phone.

Cons

Rude managers. They cut you after a couple days instead of telling you how to improve. It's not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Give new employers a chance especially if they give 100% effort

"Worst Company Ever"

Pros

There are a lot of good people that work there.

Cons

They give a false sense of empowerment and pretend to embrace your business ideas... when in reality, it's like working in a version of the Hunger Games.
    Upper Management interferes with how mid-management runs their business - then blame them when their idea fails.
    They claim they are a "people" company but I only saw that if the employee was earning them a considerable amount of cash... even then.. they did not really treat employees with respect.

Advice to Management

Develop uniform company policies and if you give your word

"Not proud to call them my employer"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, mentoring program with children of an inner-city school, flexible hours

Cons

Will do anything to make money, even if it is unethical
    Very poor reputation
    Little to no managerial interaction with staff
    Too many random divisions and departments under one roof
    Shady business practices
    Low pay
    Poor facilities
    Terrible technology

Advice to Management

Stop being "sneaky" and trying to make profits however you can - conduct legitimate business. Your unethical practices are taking their toll on your reputation.

"Great place to build a resume, but you'll never get rich working there."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bensalem, PA

Pros

Flexible hours, easy work. Good performance is rewarded appropriately. Good relationship between staff and management. Those who truly strive to succeed are given the assistance they need. Those who do succeed are rewarded with promotions. The job can pay VERY well, but ONLY if you are very good at phone sales without sending out false, unclear or otherwise bad orders(fluffing your sales with bad orders will get you fired fast).

Cons

Training is brief and broad. Severe turnover. Will hire anybody, but will also fire after giving a short grace period out of training. Poor office conditions (slow to repair plumbing, air conditioning, etc.) Minimum wage with an hourly sales incentive that is difficult for most reps to achieve. The ideal rep is essentially one who does enough sales to be worth keeping but not enough to get paid beyond the $7.15 an hour base rate. The job requires a great deal of mental endurance and fortitude and very few employees last more than a month there.

Advice to Management

Extend training to two weeks, allow greater employee autonomy with regards to sales script. The current sales incentive system is demotivating, too few attain it. Do away with it and instead give employees regular raises to their base rate at 6 or 12 month intervals, since employees that last that long are the ones you want to keep and those that don't last don't become discouraged.