Progressive Business Publications Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated December 31, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

"Lame corporate culture, questionable business model"

Former Employee - IT Developer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The IT department where I worked was well managed.
     - Other IT employees are funny, and interesting. Did a good job training newcomers.
     - Sports tickets now and then if you're into that.
     - Relatively low stress and pace because projects are internal, compared to other fast-paced agency style companies I've worked in.

Cons

- You're not going to be on the cutting edge of technology by working in the IT department to say the least.
     - Located in a remote, cultureless corporate park where you'd never find yourself for a reason other than to go to work. Stereotypical cubicle environment.
     - I had a really long commute (almost 2 hrs each way, and they wouldn't let me work 4 10-hour days instead of 5 8-hour days, or telecommute etc.
     - Business model is sooo sketchy and sometimes you get misdirected phone calls from pissed off "customers."
     - Stagnate corporate culture filled with mostly aging staff entrenched in their ways.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexible schedule and telecommuting. Don't have a sketchy business model. Relocate to a city.

Apr 28, 2016 – Business Manager

Listening to employee feedback is important to us and we are happy to hear that you thought your department was well managed and you enjoyed working with your co-workers. We are undergoing a ... More

"TSR"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working on the computer and helping people on the phone that were interested in the newsletter that we were selling.

Cons

I hated when I had to try to persuade them to purchase a newsletter that they really didn't want.

Advice to Management

I was only in training when this position was terminated on me. The only reason that I lost this job was because I couldn't get the business executives on the phone to change their minds and buy a subscription that they told me that they didn't want. I only had been in training for 3 1/2 days. By the way, I had sales on 3 of the 4 days of training.

Mar 15, 2016 – Business Manager

We provide paid orientation and paid training to see if the job is good fit for all new employees. If trainees don't meet minimum performance standards, we believe it is in everyone's best interests ... More

"Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible. Can take breaks whenever you wanted. Can come in late and leave early. Good experience with interacting with people from many different backgrounds.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. Not very accommodating when reading off script. I've lost a few sales because I've decided to improvise on the sales pitch. It's hard to really interact with the customer when you're ready from a script. Poor pay structure. High turnover rate. More than 90% of the people that were part of my training group were gone within 2 days.

Advice to Management

Set goals that can be easily attained by the average employee. Give employees a week grace period when they are not getting results instead of 2 days.

Feb 5, 2016 – Business Manager

We have recently raised wages to help the average employee and to remain competitive in the Bensalem market. Sales can be a challenging profession and people dont make it through the training for ... More

5. "Good company, good people"

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a flexible environment and the people are good to work with. The managers have helped me develop as a writer and researcher, and they're supportive. As a writer/editor, you're also given a lot of autonomy and chance to be creative.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Perhaps focus more on retaining employees that are performing well.

6. "Great Contract Work"

Former Employee - Freelancer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Freelancer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to deal with, Straightforward to create content for-

Cons

Seem pretty traditional- not necessarily a con.

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with; a great deal of autonomy allowing you to share your ideas and collaborate with others; currently involved in a phase which brings employees from various divisions together to discuss and share ideas with each other; great leadership; good benefits; employee appreciation events

Cons

Salary could be higher; also working with older outdated software systems which at times prevent us from performing and providing above average customer service

Advice to Management

Continue to implement collaboration amongst the various departments so that we can gain new ideas, new ways to be successful in our jobs; continuous training sessions; need to improve the technology so we can do our jobs more efficiently

8. "Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

A lot of changes have taken place over the past year or so, and we're moving in the right direction to become a more efficient, productive environment. The people at PBP are great; it's one of the reasons I've stuck around for so long. This is a great place to learn a lot about your field. If you try hard enough, you can learn a lot about many different fields as well since we specialize in many differect markets.

Cons

Things can get really busy, and it's sometimes hard to prioritize. It's even more difficult to stop working and take a break since there is such a strong push to churn things out. Salary tends to be below average. Holidays and benefits are average.

"On the Rise"

Current Employee - Database Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sense of Community, Benefits, Not Afraid to Get New Tools, Management Team, Recognize Hard Work, Openness, Accommodating, I enjoy coming in every morning

Cons

Sometimes the vending machine starts to run empty. Not on the company, but lunch options are limited, so I pack my lunch often (not a lot of negatives honestly).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, I appreciate the new perspectives that have come in at the top recently. It has given a fresh feel.

10. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Great people and a real sense of community
    Conveniently close to major highways
    Moving in the right direction - Very exciting time to be at PBP

Cons

The only downside I see at the moment is that departments and divisions have always been very siloed. However, barriers are beginning to break down; increased communication and collaboration is starting to occur, so things are definitely going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your teams in the loop for new strategies and initiatives that are in the works now and in the future. Communication is important to the development of the company, culture and its people.

11. "TSR"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and flexible scheduling

Cons

I was basically paid minimum wage. It is hard to make consistent sales enough to make rates for bonuses. Not impossible... but your campaigns often switched and if you had an easy time with one the next one would be aweful dragging down your rate for that pay period. As I said it wasn't impossible to make the higher rates, it does happen but it didn't seem consistent enough- so I could only count on minimum wage... or you cut your hours to make your SPH higher - thereby reducing overall hours worked - which didn't really always work either.

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

We have begun to move away from starting new employees at minimum wage. We have recently reviewed our wage structure in our marketing call centers and have begun to raise it as a result.