Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

A lot of changes have taken place over the past year or so, and we're moving in the right direction to become a more efficient, productive environment. The people at PBP are great; it's one of the reasons I've stuck around for so long. This is a great place to learn a lot about your field. If you try hard enough, you can learn a lot about many different fields as well since we specialize in many differect markets.

Cons

Things can get really busy, and it's sometimes hard to prioritize. It's even more difficult to stop working and take a break since there is such a strong push to churn things out. Salary tends to be below average. Holidays and benefits are average.

"On the Rise"

Current Employee - Database Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sense of Community, Benefits, Not Afraid to Get New Tools, Management Team, Recognize Hard Work, Openness, Accommodating, I enjoy coming in every morning

Cons

Sometimes the vending machine starts to run empty. Not on the company, but lunch options are limited, so I pack my lunch often (not a lot of negatives honestly).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, I appreciate the new perspectives that have come in at the top recently. It has given a fresh feel.

3. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Great people and a real sense of community
    Conveniently close to major highways
    Moving in the right direction - Very exciting time to be at PBP

Cons

The only downside I see at the moment is that departments and divisions have always been very siloed. However, barriers are beginning to break down; increased communication and collaboration is starting to occur, so things are definitely going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your teams in the loop for new strategies and initiatives that are in the works now and in the future. Communication is important to the development of the company, culture and its people.

4. "Mentally taxing job, but positive environment."

Current Employee - TSR in Meadville, PA
    Current Employee - TSR in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jen and the rest of the management team are super enthusiastic and encouraging... sometimes even overly so. Training continues periodically even after the first week. Jen is super accessible...nearly always has her door open. She and your coworkers are more than willing to help with any issue at hand. Pay is based on the fruits of your labor, so it can be very good, depending on your sales. There are some benefits (401k, etc) if you make it past 3 months. Also, there's a great, little known thrift shop next door. ;)

Cons

This job is fast paced and performance based. If you don't meet the .8 quota (less than 1 sale call per hour) you will be essentially fired. Bathroom breaks, lunches, and vacations are unpaid. You are sitting in front of an old school computer all day. You are rejected more often than not.

Advice to Management

I love how encouraging y'all are.

5. "Moving in the right direction"

Pros

Great people and convenient location

Cons

Unqualified people in middle management

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in the newsletters, conferences, online training programs and company blogs - all free and at your fingertips.

6. "Built on values. Survived on results."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

PBP is being run by some of the most brilliant minds in Publishing and Marketing. Flexible schedule, manageable work/life balance, long term benefits make it easy to meet professional and personal goals. Our new CEO is very friendly but also extremely focused on the future. His expectations have been made clear. That said, he is very inspiring and has all the qualities that a leader should. There are many divisions of the organization and potential for growth is vast. New infrastructure is being implemented which will put PBP in and excellent position with it's competitors. It's a very exciting time to work here!!

Cons

The home grown system is not very easy to navigate. Looking forward to new user platforms.

Advice to Management

I’d like management to encourage positive interactions among the employees.

7. "Great time to join PBP"

Pros

-Very intelligent co-workers
    -Autonomous work-style
    -Opportunity for annual bonus and profit sharing
    -Ability to apply outside knowledge and previous work experience

Cons

-Long commute (but I am moving soon)
    -No other issues to report here (but Glass Door requires a minimum of 20 words)

Advice to Management

None, I look forward to some of the cool changes expected over the next few years! Keep up the great work.

8. "New leadership and changes are exciting to learn about. More communication and sharing information has been happening"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

People I work with are great. I trust them and I feel as though people have my back. Issues are addressed most of the time

Cons

Building is outdated and needs to be made over. Because teams are spread out we don't talk about other areas as often as we should

Advice to Management

Keep sharing information

9. "Great Place to Expand Your Skills"

Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA

Pros

Upper management is supportive of your career goals and any new business initiatives you come up with. Employees are super friendly and inviting. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Working in cubicles makes it hard to be collaborative with your team members. Divisions aren't connected - not sure what everyone else in the building is doing. Employee morale boosting events and programs are lacking. There aren't many windows - sunlight is necessary!

Advice to Management

Bridge the divisions together and bring back company events!

10. "PBP Pros/Cons from a Current Employee"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

- Good work/life balance
    - Great people
    - Great manager/team
    - Opportunity / Entrepreneurial spirit

Cons

- IT/systems bottleneck projects at times
    - Business units function in separate silos
    - PTO is modest

Advice to Management

Work together to breakdown business unit silos for more robust product and brand.