Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

1. "A positive environment."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a very friendly atmosphere. There's always plenty of encouragement from Jen and the rest of the management team.
    Plenty of room for growth!

Cons

i wish that the base salary was higher, though i understand that we get bonuses for good performance.

Advice to Management

so nice that the hours are flexible to accommodate life happenings such as appointments, and personal needs to be out early or a day off

2. "My experience at PBP has been valuable & useful to all aspects of my life"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall office is fun & lighthearted even though it is a sales office. Although it is obviously a competitive environment we all continue to encourage each other even if we are not doing as well personally at the moment. Our branch manager really makes sure that not only work hard but we have fun doing it too. This is my second time working here & I really used the tools I learned here at my other sales job & was successful there as well. When I came back I was excited to continue to learn more & improve on the skills I had originally learned here. I am now looking forward to finding new ways to help the new sales reps entering here to also find success here as well. At all the sales offices I have worked at I never found the same great environment to feel like I was 100% supported like I have found here.

Cons

The biggest challenge working here is staying realistic in our sales goals here. Self-management is key here & keeping your expectations real even if you had 1 great day is the most important thing to remember. The way our schedule & breaks are done here you really have to make sure that you keep your time commitments by self managing your time. I try to remember that even if I am having a bad couple of calls keep plugging away & keep myself in my seat or it will never get better. Also never taking anything that is said during a sales call is also challenging as well. Remembering it is not necessarily you that they are upset with it might just be their day.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep improving on the things that are working here. We have great management who keep us well supported at all times. There is never a time when I feel alone in this job & I know that help just needs to be asked for if it's needed. It would be nice if the base pay was increased a little bit but I do understand that there is always opportunity to make more here by selling more. I do think that raising the sales base salery to a .08 was great not that I am ever that low but it does help take some of the pressure off of striking a even 1.0

3. "Structure, growth and flexibility."

Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the hours. No evenings or weekends. The fact that I am able to grow with the company. They promote from within. The training program is outstanding. A great atmosphere! A very supportive culture. The company knows how important we are. I enjoy coming to work every day. Not many can say that.

Cons

I have never run into any cons that cause me to re evaluate my position here.

Advice to Management

Management has done an outstanding job with everything.

5. "Summer Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA
    Current Intern - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I have only been with Progressive Business Publications for a short time, I can see many positive things about the company. They have a wealth of employees that create a substantial amount of high quality content for their products. They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code. The company is focused on giving back to the community and has a strong sense of corporate social responsibility.

Cons

The Progressive Business Publication brand has been tarnished through an outdated sales process. Even through all of the good things the company does, when you speak to others about who you work for there is typically a negative connotation to the conversation.

Advice to Management

Continue to explore other areas of business to enter into by actively engaging your customers.

6. "Awesome work culture! This company really supports both personal and professional development."

Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In addition to the flexible work schedule, competitive pay, and opportunities for advancement- PBP's core values facilitate an environment I'm proud to be a part of.

Cons

Because of the flexibility of the work schedule you have to be self managed. For some, this can different and challenging from what they are used to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"I've always been treated fairly and I feel it's a great place to work."

Pros

Expectations are clear -- performance is rewarded. If you are struggling, there is plenty of help available -- you just need to ask. There's a good balance between hard work and socializing. Senior management encourages learning and development both inside and outside the office, and the benefits package is generous, even if the starting salaries are somewhat low for certain positions.

Cons

Technology has not always kept pace with growth.

8. "An excellent place to work."

Current Employee - IT Department in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Malvern, PA

Pros

PBP has a great atmosphere and great people. The work-life balance is great and I still have plenty of time for my family.

Cons

There are no con's I can think of off the top of my head, I truly enjoy the people and the atmosphere.

9. "Results Oriented Empowerment with Competitive Spirit"

Current Employee - CRM Director in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - CRM Director in Malvern, PA

Pros

The company truly believes in the people it hires for the long-term. Lots of latitude with support to get the job done. Results and contribution are valued over pedigree and title. Candor and innovation are expected and rewarded eliminating any barriers to success and growth.

Cons

Silo-ed organization and informal structure can create some lags in efficiency and best practice adoption. ON a personal level, the cons don't get in the way ...

"Enjoy my job with stable company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Great job stability, and they always plan for the long-term...hierarchy is very minimal, all voices are heard and they encourage new thoughts and creative ideas from all employees. Great opportunities to interact and share ideas with other departments; Benefits are top-notch

Cons

Pay could be a bit higher for some of the positions; and the need to update computer databases and network speed

11. "Good, Solid Company"

Pros

The people are great at PBP--a true team environment where everyone is willing to help you succeed. They are an intelligent, motivated group of people focused on serving customers and moving the company forward. PBP values it's employees and creates opportunities for them to grow.

Cons

They could move to a PTO system and be a little more transparent across departments.

Advice to Management

Please be more transparent about the position of the company...it's just good to know.