Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

1. "Solid Company, great opportunity to make a big difference."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PBP is a very solid and stable company. The company is going through a transformation to improve and innovate it's infrastructure. PBP is investing smartly to strengthen it's core business components.
    It's a good time to join this company in order to learn new things and grow within. Senior management is very supportive of new ideas.

Cons

Interior of the building looks little outdated, but I look at it as an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and encourage new ideas.

2. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linfield, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linfield, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are nice. Everyone works as a team.

Cons

Bombard customers with emails and they call with threats constantly. Raises are very rare. They pile up your work and people work day and nights and it's expected, without pay.

Advice to Management

Recognize the people who work hard. People put their heart and soul into this company only to be let go BC they werent making enough money for the company. Stop scamming and choose a more ethical way of treating your customers.

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our e-commerce business is email driven like any other email marketing organization. Employees receive annual review opportunities where raises are part of the review, many employees also earn cash... More

3. "Customer Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing good comes from working at this marketing firm, unless of course your a marketing major.

Cons

they will only keep you if you make your sales. If your not pushy, don't apply

Advice to Management

Be more specific during interviews to potential employees that everyone will NOT MAKE IT TO WEEK THREE OF TRANING

Oct 10, 2016 – Business Manager

Our company sets performance standards during the training period to see who will make a good marketing representative and it can be challenging. Most of our best performers have been with us from... More

""Let Go" due to an Anxiety Disorder.. what?"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

I am absolutely disgusted and have nothing good to say about this company. Other than you get a flexible schedule and free watered down brown water that they call coffee. Woohoo.

Cons

Meadville management is shady and corrupt. I was on my 3rd day of training and my manager pulled me in for a meeting (which is normal there during training, usually two one on one meetings a day). Before that meeting I had been told how great I was doing and how much potential they saw in me. During this meeting I was asked what I felt I was best at and what I felt I was struggling with so far into the job. I said I was struggling with staying confident, positive and upbeat after continuously being snapped on by secretaries and company executives that we call and try to sell our subscription to. We got to talking and I was made to feel comfortable and I admitted that I had a social anxiety issue and talking on the phone was something I was going to have to work really hard at for this job. But that I was willing to do it. She agreed with me and said that she thought I just needed a fresh start for the day. Since it was about lunch time I asked her if I could step outside for a cigarette and calm down a little bit before I start back up. She said yes and that she would join me. I went outside and halfway through my cigarette she came out and asked me to come back into the office - where I was told the company has decided to let me go because of the issue I have with "talking on the phone".. What!?

Advice to Management

You should probably quit discriminating towards anyone with ANY form of disability. I'm not one to boohoo and whine about my disorder, I've never let it get in the way of holding a job. I was just being honest with the company and informing them that it was something I was going to have to - and was absolutely WILLING to - work on. Technically, Social Anxiety is listed legally as a disability and if I had the money for a lawyer I would be going after this place for unlawful discrimination.

"Marketing Rep"

Former Employee - OHIO in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - OHIO in Warren, OH

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

No nights no weekends make your own schedule

Cons

Training was terrible and management was shoddy.

Advice to Management

The job is made to sound easy and then when it's not, the employee is blamed. Ridiculous.

"Mind Numbing"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take breaks whenever, free coffee, taught communication skills but really shady

Cons

Negligable bonus (less than $1 for selling $400 subscription), dial tone, yelled at a lot, had to deceive people

Advice to Management

Pay your lower people more, they're the ones who are dealing with all the mean people, $8.10 an hour isn't worth it, don't be shady

7. "Supportive environment to grow"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time

Pros

-PBP offers an encouraging support system and an improvement-oriented workplace
    -Managers will work to be friendly, happy, and encouraging
    -High expectations with a focus on employee success
    -Fantastic management strategy
    -Fantastic training program for new employees

Cons

-High-stress environment, managers sometimes appear pushy
    -High turnover rate (although it seems justified, and new qualified trainees come in and often succeed quickly through a good training program)
    -Bonuses to average paycheck can be hard to achieve

Advice to Management

Work to make your company more streamlined and help your workers achieve their quotas more fairly, work to reduce turnover unless required

"Lame corporate culture, questionable business model"

Former Employee - IT Developer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The IT department where I worked was well managed.
     - Other IT employees are funny, and interesting. Did a good job training newcomers.
     - Sports tickets now and then if you're into that.
     - Relatively low stress and pace because projects are internal, compared to other fast-paced agency style companies I've worked in.

Cons

- You're not going to be on the cutting edge of technology by working in the IT department to say the least.
     - Located in a remote, cultureless corporate park where you'd never find yourself for a reason other than to go to work. Stereotypical cubicle environment.
     - I had a really long commute (almost 2 hrs each way, and they wouldn't let me work 4 10-hour days instead of 5 8-hour days, or telecommute etc.
     - Business model is sooo sketchy and sometimes you get misdirected phone calls from pissed off "customers."
     - Stagnate corporate culture filled with mostly aging staff entrenched in their ways.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexible schedule and telecommuting. Don't have a sketchy business model. Relocate to a city.

Apr 28, 2016 – Business Manager

Listening to employee feedback is important to us and we are happy to hear that you thought your department was well managed and you enjoyed working with your co-workers. We are undergoing a... More

"TSR"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working on the computer and helping people on the phone that were interested in the newsletter that we were selling.

Cons

I hated when I had to try to persuade them to purchase a newsletter that they really didn't want.

Advice to Management

I was only in training when this position was terminated on me. The only reason that I lost this job was because I couldn't get the business executives on the phone to change their minds and buy a subscription that they told me that they didn't want. I only had been in training for 3 1/2 days. By the way, I had sales on 3 of the 4 days of training.

Mar 15, 2016 – Business Manager

We provide paid orientation and paid training to see if the job is good fit for all new employees. If trainees don't meet minimum performance standards, we believe it is in everyone's best interests... More

"Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible. Can take breaks whenever you wanted. Can come in late and leave early. Good experience with interacting with people from many different backgrounds.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. Not very accommodating when reading off script. I've lost a few sales because I've decided to improvise on the sales pitch. It's hard to really interact with the customer when you're ready from a script. Poor pay structure. High turnover rate. More than 90% of the people that were part of my training group were gone within 2 days.

Advice to Management

Set goals that can be easily attained by the average employee. Give employees a week grace period when they are not getting results instead of 2 days.

Feb 5, 2016 – Business Manager

We have recently raised wages to help the average employee and to remain competitive in the Bensalem market. Sales can be a challenging profession and people dont make it through the training for... More