Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated May 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

"On the Rise"

Current Employee - Database Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sense of Community, Benefits, Not Afraid to Get New Tools, Management Team, Recognize Hard Work, Openness, Accommodating, I enjoy coming in every morning

Cons

Sometimes the vending machine starts to run empty. Not on the company, but lunch options are limited, so I pack my lunch often (not a lot of negatives honestly).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, I appreciate the new perspectives that have come in at the top recently. It has given a fresh feel.

2. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Great people and a real sense of community
    Conveniently close to major highways
    Moving in the right direction - Very exciting time to be at PBP

Cons

The only downside I see at the moment is that departments and divisions have always been very siloed. However, barriers are beginning to break down; increased communication and collaboration is starting to occur, so things are definitely going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your teams in the loop for new strategies and initiatives that are in the works now and in the future. Communication is important to the development of the company, culture and its people.

3. "TSR"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and flexible scheduling

Cons

I was basically paid minimum wage. It is hard to make consistent sales enough to make rates for bonuses. Not impossible... but your campaigns often switched and if you had an easy time with one the next one would be aweful dragging down your rate for that pay period. As I said it wasn't impossible to make the higher rates, it does happen but it didn't seem consistent enough- so I could only count on minimum wage... or you cut your hours to make your SPH higher - thereby reducing overall hours worked - which didn't really always work either.

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

We have begun to move away from starting new employees at minimum wage. We have recently reviewed our wage structure in our marketing call centers and have begun to raise it as a result.

"Company Values Overhaul Needed"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere: schedules, breaks, dress, friendly co-workers

Cons

I preface this by saying I love telephone work but I believe this company is built on deception from its conception starting with Employment Hiring Practices (employments ads) that are misleading; training directives that are misleading i.e., " This is how to lie without lying?"; and a philosophy of "get the sale" yet at the same time by no means are "we selling". I finally left because my conscience of right vs wrong wouldn't let me stay any longer.

Advice to Management

Do a company overhaul based on truth starting with becoming Visible (don't hide your address, name). Don't be deceitful with such things as Codes Enforcement , (i.e., how many people work on any one given day for such things as how many people per building per bathroom), Improve your product so that both management and customer service telephone employees are PROUD of what they are selling, and upgrade your equipment. A recent example of deceit is an employment ad I saw listed under "GENERAL" rather than customer service or sales. This company can only improve.....if they choose too. I've also noticed that folks working out of their "home office" in Malvern, PA have a different and much better view of the company (which is a good thing!) but from a customer service (sales)
    perspective from one of the smaller offices in Pennsylvania, the deceitfulness is overwhelming. I could only stick my head in the sand for so long. This advice is directed toward upper management because they "must" make the changes to affect the whole
    company.

6. "Asst Editor"

Pros

learned a lot, esp how to write small and powerful

Cons

cold calling very busy people for article ideas. Felt like sales calls

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

Staying connected with our subscribers is critical to the quality of our newsletters and programs. We understand that calling people can be uncomfortable at times, but listening to our customers has ... More

7. "Baseline Job"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cambridge Springs, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cambridge Springs, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job to maintain, it's something to pay the bills at least.

Cons

Being on the phone the whole time makes for a long day, not good pay.

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and offering us 3 stars for work-life balance.

8. "Mentally taxing job, but positive environment."

Current Employee - TSR in Meadville, PA
    Current Employee - TSR in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jen and the rest of the management team are super enthusiastic and encouraging... sometimes even overly so. Training continues periodically even after the first week. Jen is super accessible...nearly always has her door open. She and your coworkers are more than willing to help with any issue at hand. Pay is based on the fruits of your labor, so it can be very good, depending on your sales. There are some benefits (401k, etc) if you make it past 3 months. Also, there's a great, little known thrift shop next door. ;)

Cons

This job is fast paced and performance based. If you don't meet the .8 quota (less than 1 sale call per hour) you will be essentially fired. Bathroom breaks, lunches, and vacations are unpaid. You are sitting in front of an old school computer all day. You are rejected more often than not.

Advice to Management

I love how encouraging y'all are.

9. "Moving in the right direction"

Pros

Great people and convenient location

Cons

Unqualified people in middle management

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in the newsletters, conferences, online training programs and company blogs - all free and at your fingertips.

10. "Built on values. Survived on results."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

PBP is being run by some of the most brilliant minds in Publishing and Marketing. Flexible schedule, manageable work/life balance, long term benefits make it easy to meet professional and personal goals. Our new CEO is very friendly but also extremely focused on the future. His expectations have been made clear. That said, he is very inspiring and has all the qualities that a leader should. There are many divisions of the organization and potential for growth is vast. New infrastructure is being implemented which will put PBP in and excellent position with it's competitors. It's a very exciting time to work here!!

Cons

The home grown system is not very easy to navigate. Looking forward to new user platforms.

Advice to Management

I’d like management to encourage positive interactions among the employees.

11. "Great time to join PBP"

Pros

-Very intelligent co-workers
    -Autonomous work-style
    -Opportunity for annual bonus and profit sharing
    -Ability to apply outside knowledge and previous work experience

Cons

-Long commute (but I am moving soon)
    -No other issues to report here (but Glass Door requires a minimum of 20 words)

Advice to Management

None, I look forward to some of the cool changes expected over the next few years! Keep up the great work.